1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marines allow 18 year olds to drink alcholic

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Marines are allowed to drink alcohol

By saying what I am about to say, please don't take this that I am condonig anyone to drink alcohol. I have always thought that while someone is allowed to fight in war at 18, and not drink, is quite ridiculous! Why should someone at 18 be allowed to die, but not drink? It's quite stupid if you ask me. But, as I have already said, I don't condone the consumption of alcohol, regardless of age.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree 100% with both of your points. :thumbs:

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

The drinking age should remain 21, and the enlistment age for the military ought also to be 21.

The vast majority of people at 18 are not mature enough to understand conquences for drinking too much or waging war.

If, however, the enlistment age is to remain 18, then the drinking age ought also to be the same.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Either raise the elistment age...or lower the drinking age.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why would drinking be legal by anyone? It is a leading killer of people. It is a leading contributor to spousal and family abuse. Why haven't the women's groups raised this issue over and over again with their loud shrill voices?

Not only should 18 year olds not be allowed to drink. No one should be allowed to.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It's been tried and failed, resulting in gangland warfare.

#7 Magnetic Poles, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  8. Bro. James Reed

That's not a fascist statement, is it?

As MP said, do you not realized what happened when a few people in this country previously tried to do this to the masses?

If you made it illegal for everyone, would you then bust down church doors and arrest the congregattions that believe we must use wine during the Lord's Supper? You'd have a good fight on your hands there.

Regardless of what you claim, the leading cause of abuse is stupidity. Should all stupid people be thrown in jail?

9. Bro. James Reed

I'm going to go out tonight and have a margarita just for you, PL. I wasn't going to, but your comments were a leading contributer to my decision. Uh, oh, does that mean you should be outlawed for contributing to my drinking alcohol?

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Outlawing alcohol has already been tried and failed miserably, organized crime was one of the side effects of prohibition.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You guys are hilarious. First, I realize that prohibition was tried and failed. I live in one of the hot beds of alcohol smuggling during the era. Less than 1/2 mile from where I sit, people would cross the Detroit River with alcohol from Canada. However, the fact that people broke the law is hardly a reason not to have laws. We still have laws against cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and the like. And people break them.

I think drinking is stupid. There is absolutely no benefit to drinking alcohol. Relaxation can be gained in many ways other than that.

But to the point, my comments were about the moral affects of it, pointing out the hypocrisy of "women's right's" groups who will protest anything that might prevent a woman from killing her own child, but will not do anything to protect that woman and her living children from an drunken spouse. If people of morality understood the disaster that alcohol has brought to our society, we would outlaw it and make it work. The problem is that too many people don't really care about life. Alcohol is as dangerous a drug as marijuana, cocaine, heroine, or meth. Yet it is legalized and popular. It brings poverty to children and women. It increases health care costs. It contributes to moral decline. It kills people. Why should it be legal?

To James Reed, if you believe you must use wine during communion, you should stick with the Bible. You may use wine if you like, but that is not a biblical issue. As far as throwing stupid people in jail, yes. Let's lock them up.

Lastly, I was just trying to be like Ron Paul. I was addressing a problem with a totally unworkable solution. I thought that would make me popular with you guys since you like it so well from him.

Lighten up, folks.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't like alcohol, but I d agree.

13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Laws aren't going to keep people from self destruction. They'll always find a way to do that. And I'm afraid there aren't that many people of morality out there anymore.

14. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

I read a medical report recently that stated if prohibition had remained in place an extra 18,000 people a year would die of heart related illnesses.
    "you can bomb a bar in Baghdad, but you better not order a rum and coke."

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

But they do help keep them from destroying others.

This is true, and unfortunately we see it here all too often.

You can find a report that will prove anything you want. But they don't really know this because there is no control group. You don't know who would have died anyway, or who died from alcohol related issues. So these studies aren't that helpful

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Seig Heil, y'all.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Don't be silly, TP. Get a sense of humor.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That makes sense.

Even if one were a teetotaller when he joined the military, it'll be hard to stay a teetotaller when you're in the business of dying and killing at such an early age in a war which politicos are using as a political tool never mind the fact that the war is being fought by many 18 and 19 year old American human beings.

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I've got tons of humor. What I haven't got is patience for people who insist everyone must think, feel, and believe exactly as they do.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Then you shouldn't have had a problem with what I said, even if I was serious. Your objection shows your professed idealism is just that ... professed. If you don't insist everyone should think, feel, and believe as you do, then you should know problem if someone truly believes that stupid people should be put in jail (which I don't). After all, if we believe you reason, why should I have to agree with you to avoid a stupid Hitler reference?

It sounds kind of hypocritical for you to oppose forcing someone to believe as you believe and then make the kind of comment you did. It seems your hypocrisy on this issue is exposed by your comment and the basis given for it. Just say you missed the joke (it was pretty well disguised). Don't try to ride your high horse of tolerance while not showing any.

#20 Pastor Larry, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.