1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marines in Iraq

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Bible-boy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The following article in Stars and Stripes is about my great nephew, Cpl. Tyler Vanhook. Praise God Tyler was unhurt and able to help rescue his friends. Please pray for his continued safety as he fights to defend us. Also pray for the recovery of these injured Marines.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=56388

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeing the excerpt from the story gave me a chill.

"3rd Reconnaissance Battalion’s Company A"

39 years ago, I was in the same company, same battalion, in a very different place.

Give your great nephew my regards.

Semper Fi.

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Thank you for your service. May God bless and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you. That chill you experienced reminds me of another prayer concern of mine for Tyler. I pray that he will not suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome as a result of being in combat and the things he has seen and will see.

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

My prayers and salute to them all and especially to your nephew/hero/first responder! Man! He did GOOD! My appreciation to him for his willing service to our country.

As far as PTSD: a lot of soldiers who are casualties with other ailments and injuries, are getting this diagnosis, whether appropriate or not: It expedites their claims..... and except for the obviously injured and disabled, it tends to limit what the government will pay and makes a medical disability claim over exposures to things like the vaccines, medications, insecticides, depleted uranium, more difficult to obtain.... as all symptoms, physical and psychological, must then go through the screening of the PTSD diagnosis.

I certainly hope your nephew doesn't have any problems with this. Night mares and 'flash backs' of picturing this in his mind in vivid detail, are normal and the way our minds heal. To help him mend, I pray that he will not only be given a mouth and the mind to talk about his experience, but people who will listen and accept his grief, fear, anger and whatever emotions buried within the hurt and shock.... without dismissing him or denying him their understanding and acceptance of his report: and 'normal' and happier experiences to involve his attention and intrude on the preoccupation of the experience of one day and moment in time. May God bless, guide, keep and provide for him. He is sooooo young!

Unfortunately, the same modern society which doesn't shrink from putting blood, gore and violence on t.v. and the silver screen, doesn't extend the same tolerance and understanding to folks who've experienced the real thing and not a bunch of actors which they laughed at.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Thanks for your prayers and understanding.:godisgood: