1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 10:9

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

I don't know either. I checked the lexicons I have on my computer. It was interesting that Louw-Nida, Liddell-Scott, and the big Perseus on line lexicon at Tufts University all use the word "divide" as a good definition of the Greek word.

Fred Moritz

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

The teaching is different in Romans 8:35 than in Mark 10:9. In Romans, we cannot be separated from the love of Christ; hypothetical, and impossible. In Mark, marriages put together by God CAN be severed by humans; an all-to-common reality.

Clasp your hands together, and squeeze as hard as you can. Then separate your hands; no problem. Now, apply superglue to your palms, and put them together. After they've bonded, you won't merely separate them.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frank, I could not reply to your PM; clean out your mailbox:laugh:

Does the Greek word itself have the implication that you find in the English word asunder? I am not convinced that the translators were making any statement with the use of that particular English phrase.

Another related word is sundry (adjective).

Does anyone know if the Spanish word chorizo is derived this Greek word?:laugh: