1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Marriage: Authority Granted by God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, May 15, 2018.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But Jesus said to her "Go, call your husband, and come here." [Jesus knew she had no husband but wanted her to say so.] The woman answered him, "I have no husband." Jesus said to her, "You are right in saying, 'I have no husband' [so the man she has now is not her husband even though she sleeps with him); for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true."

Jesus knew she wasn't married. She had been married 5 times before and for whatever reason, those marriages are no longer valid (because Jesus uses the past tense here). Now the man she had was not her husband so she was sleeping with him without him becoming her husband by nature of the sexual act. There is more to create a marriage than just a physical act.

2. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, there is a passage in the OT where if a young man was caught sleeping with a "virgin" who was not "espoused" he was required to take her as his wife, so I know full well that God considered them "one flesh". But my answer to your thread was and is: yes, if one is a Christian, they should honor God by having a pastor preside over a "wedding". If you want to do the "common law" deal, that's certainly "one flesh" but a "wedding" with a preacher of the Gospel honors God.

#82 SheepWhisperer, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I understand your view. However, I don't find any place in scripture that supports your assertion that God is honored when a Pastor presides over a marriage.

I don't have a problem with wedding ceremonies. I don't have a problem with a Pastor presiding over the ceremony.

I don't think Pastors should claim that God has given them authority to proclaim a couple to be husband and wife when scripture doesn't support that claim.

I believe scripture tells us clearly that a man and woman should both be chaste before coming together as one flesh. Once they come together as one flesh, they are married and should remain faithful for life, whether or not a Pastor gives his approval or makes a proclamation.

To claim you are not married until a Pastor says so weakens God's plan for marriage. If you have s*x (even with a prostitute) you become one flesh per the Genesis passage that defines the creation of the institution of marriage.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have acknowledged the possible interpretation that she had been married five times. I find that unlikely for a couple of reasons. Jesus never uses that language. He doesn't say anything about marriage or divorce. He simply says she has had five husbands. Also, the culture makes it unlikely any woman could have been "married" five times and divorced five times.

If, however, Jesus is referring to her promiscuity, which seems likely to me, it is consistent with Paul's statement in 1 Cor 6 that having s*x, even with a prostitute, results in you becoming one flesh according to the Genesis passage, then it makes sense.

Jesus told her she didn't have a husband but that she had five husbands. The 1st time she had s*x she became one flesh, husband and wife. Each time she had s*x with a different man, she broke the marriage bond to the prior man and entered into a one flesh relationship with another. Thus, she had five husbands.

Concerning the statement that "the one you are with now is not your husband" there could be several interpretations.

First, and most likely in my view, is that she was currently in an adulterous relationship....she was sleeping with a married man....someone else's husband. This explains why she was at the well alone and later in the day than usual. She was avoiding other women.

It could be Jesus was saying the one she was with wasn't her husband as God intended. That is, he wasn't the first she had become one flesh with and should have remained faithful to for life.

I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Thanks for the input.