1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marriage in Bible times

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thank you rsr! I read through it quickly and will now read through it slowly.
    Diane, of course I'm giving them some degree of credence or I wouldn't be asking.
    Gina

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The little foxes spoil the vines.

The little foxes eat away at the vines near the roots and ruin the whole plant. The little foxes are more dangerous than the fully grown who eat the berries. Beware the little foxes...

3. BroCR Mixon

BroCR Mixon New Member

Diane you said it right 1 Corinthians 7:32 But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord--how he may please the Lord. 33 But he who is married cares about the things of the world--how he may please his wife
    Do you mind if I add 1 Corinthians 7:1 It is good for a man not to touch a woman
    My opinion CHRIST WAS NOT MARRIED

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus told paul there's no marriage in heaven...Maybe THAT'S why it's heaven!(LOL)

Jesus did everything that other Jewish men did...except sin.

Now, who would have been worthy to have been His earthly human bride? EVERYONE ELSE had sinned, and ih He'd joined sinless with sinner.......

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

2 Corinthians 5:16 So we have stopped evaluating others by what the world thinks about them. Once I mistakenly thought of Christ that way, as though he were merely a human being. How differently I think about him now!

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Cool beans. Good link RSR, and good verse to point out on marriage and 1 Cor.
    Diane, I have no clue what your little foxes analogy was supposed to mean, and of course no Christian thinks of Christ as merely another person.
    Ok, now the question still remains and wasn't answered in the link rsr gave to the degree I wanted to know, and that's what particular sect was he born into and what were their beliefs on marriage? I'm starting to wonder if it's something nobody knows, since even in the link rsr gave it speaks of different ones, but not the one in particular that Christ would have been part of.
    Gina

7. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same as ours Gina, same as ours. [​IMG]

But now, we are talking about the Son of God (deity), the Almighty God (the creator of the universe), Immanuel (God is with us in the flesh). We are not talking about a mere man, like you and me. As you may remember, Jesus was talking about marriage, and He elaborated upon those who were born eunuchs (or those who never marry because of their personal preference, like Paul the Apostle). So, in reality, marriage was not an option to all. And it was definitely not an option for Jesus, the Son of God. The only purpose for His coming to earth was to "reconcile" the world unto Himself. His mission culminated upon the cross of Calvary - so that you and I may be free from sin, and be adopted to the family of God. Jesus in reality was the sacrificial lamb, He was the Lamb of God (Who taketh away the sins of the world), and as such He had to be unblemished (as the lambs in the Old Testament had to be unblemished before they could be offered for sacrifice).

Jesus being God in the flesh could not possible marry, for as you remember, He said that in heaven there will be neither marriage or giving in marriage. And He was from heaven, descended to earth for only one purpose, to reconcile the world unto the Father. I am afraid, the reasoning of the LDS Church is not on target on this matter. [​IMG]

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

No, Jesus was never married on earth, nor was there need. But if He HAD married, it would, I presume, have been as 100% man, however you express it. His children would NOT have been 1/2 God. The way you stated this, I believe, is an incorrect mixing of His Divine and human natures.

Karen

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Read Barnabas' excellent reply!

10. Karen

Karen Active Member

It is excellent, indeed, and I agree with it. But I still wanted to clarify that any theoretical earthly children of Jesus as a human would not have been 1/2 gods.

Karen