1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Martin Luther on Galatians 3:13

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Martin Marprelate, Feb 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Swedish theologian Gustav Aulen wrote a book between the wars called Christus Victor. In it, he claimed that Martin Luther supported that theory. However, it rather seems that he never read Luther's commentary on Galatians. Here is a meaty extract from Luther's comments on Galatians 3:13.
    Towards the end you will see that Luther does not disagree that Christ is indeed Victor, but on the grounds that He has taken our sins upon Himself and borne the curse and the punishment for them

Paul does not say that Christ was made a curse for Himself. The accent is on the two words "for us." Christ is personally innocent. Personally, He did not deserve to be hanged for any crime of His own doing. But because Christ took the place of others who were sinners, He was hanged like any other transgressor. The Law of Moses leaves no loopholes.It says that a transgressor should be hanged. Who are the other sinners? We are. The sentence of death and everlasting damnation had long been pronounced over us. But Christ took all our sins and died for them on the Cross. "He was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." (Isaiah 53:12.)

All the prophets of old said that Christ should be the greatest transgressor, murderer, adulterer, thief, blasphemer that ever was or ever could be on earth. When He took the sins of the whole world upon Himself, Christ was no longer an innocent person. He was a sinner burdened with the sins of a Paul who was a blasphemer; burdened with the sins of a Peter who denied Christ; burdened with the sins of a David who committed adultery and murder, and gave the heathen occasion to laugh at the Lord. In short, Christ was charged with the sins of all men, that He should pay for them with His own blood. The curse struck Him. The Law found Him among sinners. He was not only in the company of sinners. He had gone so far as to invest Himself with the flesh and blood of sinners. So the Law judged and hanged Him for a sinner.

In separating Christ from us sinners and holding Him up as a holy exemplar, errorists rob us of our best comfort. They misrepresent Him as a threatening tyrant who is ready to slaughter us at the slightest provocation.

I am told that it is preposterous and wicked to call the Son of God a cursed sinner. I answer: If you deny that He is a condemned sinner, you are forced to deny that Christ died. It is not less preposterous to say, the Son of God died, than to say, the Son of God was a sinner.

John the Baptist called Him "the lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." Being the unspotted Lamb of God, Christ was personally innocent. But because He took the sins of the world, His sinlessness was defiled with the sinfulness of the world. Whatever sins I, you, all of us have committed or shall commit, they are Christ's sins as if He had committed them Himself. Our sins have to be Christ's sins or we shall perish forever.

Isaiah declares of Christ: "The Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." We have no right to minimize the force of this declaration. God does not amuse Himself with words. What a relief for a Christian to know that Christ is covered all over with my sins, your sins, and the sins of the whole world.

The papists invented their own doctrine of faith. They say charity creates and adorns their faith. By stripping Christ ofour sins, by making Him sinless, they cast our sins back at us, and make Christ absolutely worthless to us. What sort of charity is this? If that is a sample oft heir vaunted charity we want none of it.

Our merciful Father in heaven saw how the Law oppressed us and how impossible it was for us to get out from under the curse of the Law. He therefore sent His only Son into the world and said to Him: "You are now Peter, the liar; Paul, the persecutor; David, the adulterer; Adam, the disobedient; the thief on the cross. You, My Son, must pay the world's iniquity." The Law growls: "All right. If Your Son is taking the sin of the world, I see no sins anywhere else but in Him. He shall die on the Cross." And the Law kills Christ. But we go free.

Wherefore Christ was not only crucified and died, but sin also (through the love of the Divine Majesty) was laid upon Him. When sin was laid upon Him, then cometh the law, and saith, "Every sinner must die." therefore, O Christ, if Thou wilt answer , become guilty, and suffer punishment for sinners, Thou must also bear sin and malediction. Paul doth therefore very well allege this general sentence out of Moses, as concerning Christ: "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree" But Christ hath hanged on a tree, therefore Christ was accursed of God.

The argument of the Apostle against the righteousness of the Law is impregnable. If Christ bears our sins, we do not bear them. But if Christ is innocent of our sins and does not bear them, we must bear them, and we shall die in our sins. "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Let us see how Christ was able to gain the victory over our enemies. The sins of the whole world, past, present, and future, fastened themselves upon Christ and condemned Him. But because Christ is God He had an everlasting and unconquerable righteousness. These two, the sin ofthe world and the righteousness of God, met in a death struggle. Furiously the sin of the world assailed the righteousness of God. Righteousness is immortal and invincible. On the other hand, sin is a mighty tyrant who subdues all men.This tyrant pounces on Christ. But Christ's righteousness is unconquerable. The result is inevitable. Sin is defeated and righteousness triumphs and reigns forever.

In the same manner was death defeated. Death is emperor of the world. He strikes down kings, princes, all men. He has an idea to destroy all life. But Christ has immortal life, and life immortal gained the victory over death. Through Christ death has lost her sting. Christ is the Death of death.

The curse of God waged a similar battle with the eternal mercy of God in Christ. The curse meant to condemn God's mercy. But it could not do it because the mercy of God is everlasting. The curse had to give way. If the mercy of God in Christ had lost out, God Himself would have lost out, which, of course, is impossible.

#1 Martin Marprelate, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Continued]
    "Christ," says Paul, "spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it." (Col. 2:15.) They cannot harm those who hide in Christ. Sin, death, the wrath of God, hell, the devil are mortified in Christ. Where Christ is near the powers of evil must keep their distance. St. John says: "And this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." (I John 5:4.)

You may now perceive why it is imperative to believe and confess the divinity of Christ. To overcome the sin of a whole world, and death, and the wrath of God was no work for any creature. The power of sin and death could be broken only by a greater power. God alone could abolish sin, destroy death, and take away the curse of the Law. God alone could bring righteousness, life, and mercy to light. In attributing these achievements to Christ the Scriptures pronounce Christ to be God forever. The article of justification is indeed fundamental. If we remain sound in this one article, we remain sound in all the other articles of the Christian faith. When we teach justification by faith in Christ we confess at the same time that Christ is God.

I cannot get over the blindness of the Pope's theologians. To imagine that the mighty forces of sin, death, and the curse can be vanquished by the righteousness of man's paltry works, by fasting, pilgrimages, masses, vows, and such gewgaws. These blind leaders of the blind turn the poor people over to the mercy of sin, death, and the devil. What chance has a defenseless human creature against these powers of darkness? They train sinners who are ten times worse than any thief, whore, murderer. The divine power of God alone can destroy sin and death, and create righteousness and life.

When we hear that Christ was made a curse for us, let us believe it with joy and assurance. By faith Christ changes places with us. He gets our sins, we get His holiness.

By faith alone can we become righteous, for faith invests us with the sinlessness of Christ. The more fully we believe this, the fuller will be our joy. If you believe that sin, death, and the curse are void, why, they are null, zero. Whenever sin and death make you nervous write it down as an illusion of the devil. There is no sin now, no curse, no death, no devil because Christ has done away with them. This fact is sure. There is nothing wrong with the fact. The defect lies in our lack of faith.

In the Apostolic Creed we confess: "I believe in the holy Christian Church." That means, I believe that there is no sin, no curse, no evil in the Church of God. Faith says: "I believe that." But if you want to believe your eyes you will find many shortcomings and offenses in the members of the holy Church. You see them succumb to temptation, you see them weak in faith, you see them giving way to anger, envy, and other evil dispositions. "How can the Church be holy?" you ask. It is with the Christian Church as it is with the individual Christian. If I examine myself I find enough unholiness to shock me. But when I look at Christin me I find that I am altogether holy. And so it is with the Church.

Holy Writ does not say that Christ was under the curse. It says directly that Christ was made a curse. In II Corinthians 5:21Paul writes: "For he (God) hath made him (Christ) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." Although this and similar passages may be properly explained by saying that Christ was made a sacrifice for the curse and for sin, yet in my judgment it is better to leave these passages stand as they read: Christ was made sin itself; Christ was made the curse itself. When a sinner gets wise to himself he does not only feel miserable, he feels like misery personified; he does not only feel like a sinner, he feels like sin itself.

To finish with this verse: All evils would have overwhelmed us, as they shall overwhelm the unbelievers forever, if Christ had not become the great transgressor and guilty bearer of all our sins. The sins of the world got Him down for a moment. They came around Him like water. Of Christ, the Old Testament Prophet complained: "Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off." (Psalm 88:16.) By Christ's salvation we have been delivered from the terrors of God to a life of eternal felicity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ntchristian

ntchristian Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have known for a long time that Luther combined Christus Victor with PSA -- learned that from a Lutheran history and theology book, among other sources. Luther, like Calvin, was influenced by his times and location. He couldn't escape that, even though trying to get back to the Bible. He held onto some things he inherited from his mother church, the RCC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

PSA was the very heart of Pauline Justification, very bedrock of the reformation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bedrock of the reformation, maybe -- except for Anabaptism -- but not in the Bible. Pagan concept inherited from RCC.

6. JesusFan

No, as it is the very heart of Pauline Justification

7. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Martin Marprelate .
    I wish you would print that up like a booklet or a tract. I would like to have about a hundred copies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JesusFan

i see Luther and Calvin using scriptures for psa, not "philosophy", nor based upon RCC theology!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Christ "bearing the sins of many" does not automatically suggest that Christ took the place of others. I can certainly take in the groceries for my with without taking her place as a female. Christ can certainly take our sins without becoming us.

"Being numbered with the transgressors" is a phrase that means that He was placed among others that were also being crucified.

This is just inaccurate.
    I do not find a single prophet that said that the Christ should be "the greatest transgressor, murderer, ...
    The thinking that in some manner Christ was no longer innocent is wrong. He took upon himself sin, yet the Scriptures state He remained sinless.
    The LAW did not judge and hang Him, the PEOPLE did, and they KNEW He was innocent!

This is just wrong thinking.

This is false teaching!
    Christ was never a "condemned sinner" and to state such foolishness is inaccurate.

Again, this is not the teaching of the Scriptures!!!

Bearing our sins does not mean that "Christ was covered all over with" sin. This kind of teaching is reflective of the RCC background in which he was schooled.

So, instead of teaching the truth, you try to refute RCC teaching by further error????

The World nor did Sin commit the Lord Jesus Christ to death.

HE laid down His own life and took it up again! NO one or thing took life from Him.

OK, I am done with Luther. It is all the same over and over.

I never liked him, and like him even less having read this from Martin.

That Martin does not see through these statements as extra biblical exuberance is distressing.

10. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And it took 1500 years for two people to see it there.

11. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I have said, Protestants think they are so far from Roman Catholicism, but the Reformation didn't reform nearly as much as it should have. On original sin and the atonement especially, the Protestant churches share much with the RCC -- all due to the Western mindset which they all come from.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was always there in the 66 book Bible. The irregular churches never correctly understood it. Isaiah 53:6, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.

13. JesusFan

That is why God sent the Reformation, to rediscover what was being lost!

14. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. If the RCC would just get rid of the Pope, the priesthood, transubstantiation, the icons, worship of Mary and the saints, separate justification and sanctification and stop having every festival center on beer and gambling - well, then we could talk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So...what did Paul mean by Christ becoming a curse for us?

Galatians 3:10-14

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.” But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.” Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

What is Paul saying about Jesus?

16. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is so slight of hand to see Clark spin PSA into the words of the ancients.

Not one presented God punishing the Son, and not one objected to the presentation of the victorious Christ.

Would you expect anything differently from one who is a leader in the reformed churches of America?

Of course he is going to present as he did, and read with an agenda of solidifying support for PSA.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the whole passage, not just a few. I explained this to you in another thread didn’t I?

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read it?

Do you understand how it is supported in Scripture?

Do you see why it is a more complete statement of the whole ministry then PSA?

Just wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.