1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Master of Divinity Mini Discussion

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. :)

I'm glad you're not saying me brother, because that isn't my meaning at all. I am saying that the Christian ministry is not a profession like medicine and whilst I'm sure that seminary is the correct route for those who have the opportunity, support and/or finance to pursue it, it should not be considered necessary.

Here in Britain, increasingly many churches are getting smaller and smaller and they can't support their young people through seminary and can't pay a full-time Pastor anyway. The Pastor of tomorrow is likely to have done a part-time course and be holding down another job to feed his family.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who, where, and when? Can you point me to a post that makes such an assertion?

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This brings to mind when I actually started seminary. Several people (to include my mother) were worried because they carried the notion that seminary was not only unnecessary for the ministry but also dangerous to one's faith as so many "entered seminary a Christian, left an atheist". I was actually surprised at the number that seemed to dismiss leaning at least enough to deal with the Greek language in commentaries, Church history, theology, hermeneutics, etc. From your questions I take it that this is foreign to your experience, which surprises me. It has been discussed in several articles (perhaps even here on the BB).

I can't point you to a certain post (except my comment in this one :Biggrin), but I have not looked either (I've been at the lake today). Regardless, the last thing I'll commit myself to here on the BB is restricting myself to what others have posted here (like everyone else, I'll reach beyond the boarders of this forum). But if you are interested, I think if you google it, you'll find articles from Christianity Today, Patheos, and several other blogs which will either make or discuss the assertion.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have several small baptist churches (many if we were to include CoC congregations) in my area that would not dream of sending anyone to seminary. I've been told countless times that they "don't believe in theology"...and I always love commenting that they arrived at that conclusion via theology, however bad it may have been :).

I do not know of many (I actually do not know of any) churches that are sending people to seminary. All that I know of have gone on their own dime, or via scholarships, grants, etc. (I used the Army's tuition assistance).

In a perfect world, I think that churches should prepare men called into the ministry and then pay for their seminary education with the agreement that they return to that church (either as a minister there or to be sent out as God has called).

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is the residual effect of the Modernism that nuked the mainline seminaries in the period 1890-1935. It took 70 some odd years for Fundamentalism to shake off the residual effects. But the perception remains in many quarters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But even your anecdotal "evidence" does not address your statement, "discussed seminary as somehow separate from the preparation of the Spirit."

Our earlier discussion regarding this issue seemed to me to make it clear that the foundational premise was "all other things being equal."

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I responded to:

“I’m saying that the Holy Spirit prepares a man for the ministry. I’m sure that a seminary education is a great advantage, but it is more important that God has called and prepared him.”

Regardless of intent, seminary education is somehow separate from God's preparation in the statement to which I responded. No evidence needed (which is why I chose to give you a hint that you could google and find articles on Christianity Today and several blogs rather than explaining that the thought exists....the "evidence" was in the post to which I responded).

#47 JonC, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have missed the point.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably. Guess all things aren't equal :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're all wrong. The "gold standard" is to avoid the MDiv and do a MA & ThM... maybe a PhD down the road.

But this is just my unbiased opinion ;)

• Like Like x 1