1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matt 18 and Forgiveness Revoked

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 7, 2006.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So are you self-righteous brother? Or does the blood of Christ clean up your filthy rags? Personally, I am righteous only because God has declared it so through Christ. If I do any good it is only because Jesus lives through me. I deserve the lake of fire.

God Bless! :(

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those who are saved do His commandments. Not the letter of the law, no one can keep it, but the spirit of the law. Love thy neighbour as thyself and ye do well and fulfill the commandments of the law.

"For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."(Gal 5:14)

"If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:(James 2:8)

"For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."(Romans 13:9)

Did you take note of what Paul said..." and if there be any other commandment , it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

If you don't love then you are not saved.

God Bless! [​IMG]

3. Avshalom

Avshalom New Member

Hi Steaver,

The fact that salvation is a free gift does not mean that there are no condition to receive it, otherwise all would be saved or God saves people arbitrarily.

The problem is that many seem to confuse the ground of our salvation, which is the atonement of Christ, with the conditions required to receive it. Yes, there are clear conditions to receive salvation and everyone is invited under the same terms.

Meeting these conditions does not mean you are saved by works. Indeed, God expects us to do some things before he receives us. One example: "get out from her... touch not the unclean thing and I will receive you".

Allow me to quote one interesting passage from Revelation (from you bible, KJV) ;)

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

"Do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life"!!! This must sound downright cultic to you :rolleyes:

Blessings

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just love it when we bring up a text (like Matt 18 in this case) and then someone posts an "exact negation of the text in review" as "Their preferred view".

As Christians we can "most easily see" that our view is in error when we have to make statements like the one above as we read a text that says "just the opposite".

Note that in Matt 18 you have "forgiveness revoked" in parable form. In Ezek 18 you have the SAME teaching outside of parable form! It is as if God was trying to "remove all excuses".

Notes about the "details" in Matt 18

Lets deal with "the obvious" points made IN The text of Matt 18.

#1. The forgiveness shown OTHERS was to be based on the real forgiveness ALREADY received from God.

#2. The REAL forgiveness received from God was regarding the unpayable DEBT that each one owes to God. The debt of sin.

#3. NO one can be SAVED but UNFORGIVEN.

#4. THIS IS an illustration of "THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN" according to Christ.

#5. This is the SAME instruction we see in Matt 6 in the Lord's prayer "FORGIVE us our debts AS WE forgive others".

#6. The DEBT OWED to the King of kings is RETURNED back to the one who OWED the debt as "payment due" and they are put into torment paying that huge debt of sin! This pay-your-own-debt-of-sin idea is never called "The saved relationship with God" in all of scripture.

#7. Christ says to his own followers "So shall My Heavenly Father do to EACH ONE OF YOU IF you do not forgive...". Christ makes the same point that He made in Matt 6 "For IF YOU do not FORGIVE... then neither will..."

#8. The Cahpter of Matt 18 DOES NOT end in vs 22 just saying “YES you should forgive lots o time -- but if you do not nothing bad will happen to you” -- the way many “wish” the chapter had ended.

Matt 18 is a clear, irrefutable and obvious case of "forgiveness REVOKED".

The response of those what believe in OSAS will often list reasons why this story "should not be in scripture" (as it were) -- but they never actually address the devastating "details" in Matt 18 regarding OSAS.

That is instructive.

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 18
    21 Then Peter came and said to Him, ""Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?''
    22 Jesus said to him, ""I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Matt 18:23-35 Forgiveness revoked – as opposed to blaming God for not “preserving us”.

Here we see that the Kingdom of Heaven is the context – and the servant “owes” in that eternal reality – a debt that is far greater than he and all his substance could ever repay. He is judged as owing the debt and payment is demanded.

So it is for all of humanity – the law points to the debt owed (Romans 6) the “Wages of Sin is death.” And Rev 20 – 21 tells us that this is in fact the suffering and torment of the 2nd death – eternal.
    Though the slave undervalues his own debt and over-values his own ability to “repay” – the Lord has mercy on him anyway and “Forgives the Debt” – full and complete forgiveness in the scenario regarding “the Kingdom of Heaven”. This is key to the Arminian point.

But (as Christ points out in His model prayer of Matt 6) those who Are forgiven are under obligation to forgive others.
    Here the case of “the Forgiven” slave is that HE is “unwilling” to show forgiveness to others even though he HAS been forgiven.

Exercising his free-will he is “Unwilling” to give to others that SAME sense of mercy and compassion that HAS been shown him by his Lord.
    The Lord does not show any reservation about the full and complete forgiveness that HE gave to His servant.
    Here is the direct appeal to the same Point we see Christ making in Matt 6 “Forgive us OUR debts AS WE forgive our debtors” and then adds “For if you do NOT forgive others then…” well you know what He said.

Clearly – “forgiveness revoked” with FULL payment made now – by the slave!
    Here many shout “OH NO He will NOT!”. They think that “once forgiven ALWAYS forgiven” applies even to those in rebellion. (A good 4-point Calvinist POV by the way).

Here Christ charges that the point is valid for Christians. He argues that WE have been forgiven by our heavenly Father – and that HE will revoke Our forgiveness just as we see in this story and just as Christ claimed in Matt 6 If “we” do not persevere in showing the Same kind regard for forgiving our brothers.

Rather than God blaming Himself for our lack of perseverance or God claiming that HE failed to preserve us – HE charges that WE are under obligation to obey as He directs or be faced with “forgiveness revoked” just as it is really described in this chapter.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

First of all, there are many admonitions given to believers, but it is not about loss of spiritual salvation, but loss of rewards.

Acts 16:31 simply states, "Believe [aorist; punctiliar] and you will [indicative; not "may be"] be saved."

To beleive that your salvation has to be maintained or can be lost contradicts this verse (not to mention countless others that talk about the security of the believer).

Do you believe there are contradictions in Scripture?

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The text keeps saying "IF by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the flesh THEN you are the children of God" AS IF that is a conditional status.

Paul then makes the exact same point "crystal clear" in Romans 11

Impossible to miss.

The choice is clear - either you walk by the Spirit and choose to remain ON in faith - you "too will be cast out". In fact Paul use the term "fear" stating that those IN the vine of Christ "SHOULD" fear.

Amazing!!

"Again" Paul shows us the choice - and states that we MUST choose to persevere IN obedience IN faith --

That language is not in Romans 8, is not in Romans 11 is not in Matt 18 is not in 2Tim 2 is not in any of the key places that address this issue of persevering.

IF your point COULD have been argued in Matt 18 THEN it would have said to the unforgiving slave "SINCE you were never forgiven to BEGIN WITH you had NO BASIS to forgive others. There is no surprise here it is simply NO CHANGE from the current or prior conditions. This is just a normal day like every other day for the unforgiven!"

COULD such a "rework of the text" be accomplished then the argument you try to make in Romans 8 could work in Matt 18.

But in Romans 8 ITSELF it does NOT say "Those who do NOT walk by the Spirit were never at any time the children of God" -- to insert it into the text is eisgesis.

In Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It appears that there are some people here claiming that the texts quoted above "do not exist".

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmm - so the Lord really DID NOT forgive and DID NOT save the one in the parable so HOW is that like the "Kingdom of heaven"? and HOW does that SHOW Peter a reason to forgive others AND HOW is that applicable to YOU such that decades AFTER the cross the Gospel Christian authors can present this teaching of Christ to us -- as Christ can says to Peter and those with him "SO Shall My Father do to each one of YOU IF YOU do not...".

In the parable the point is NEVER made that the Servant HAD NO BASIS for forgiveness. RAther the opposite point is argued. The POINT is that he had EVERY REASON to treat OTHERS in the same graceful forgiving merciful way HIS OWN DEBT was truly, really, completely, wonderfully FORGIVEN!!

A more obvious point could not be found in the parable!!

To deny the very basics of the parable is to eisegete in favor of tradition in this case.

In Christ,

Bob

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi brother! You already posted these and i responded. Did you read what I wrote?

God Bless!

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct Bob. It is an examination. IF you are lead by the Spirit THEN you are a child of God. It is not a "do this" and you become a child of God. It is a "if you do this" then you know you HAVE BEEN saved...past tense...and are a child of God.

God Bless!

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. He did forgive the servant a debt, but it does not say that He saved the man from hellfire. That is were you fall into misinterpretation.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"(Eph 2:8)

Forgiving others does not save. Forgiving is an attribute of the saved. Read Eph 2:8 carefully. It does not coinside with your theory concerning Matt 18. You will need to abandon your interpretation of it and let the scriptures determine what it teaches.

God Bless!

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "truly, really, completely"?? Not quite according to your position. God was still holding it against him ready to yank it away if he didn't do just as God would do. Remember the words "not of yourselves". It's a "gift" brother.

God Bless!

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very true. There is a condition but we know that it is "not of yourselves"(Eph 2:8). So what is it. The father draws through the Word, the Spirit convicts the sinner of sin, the sinner calls on Jesus to forgive him. It kinda goes like this...

"Lord, I have sinned against You and see, as You have shown me, that You have given Jesus your Son as an attonement for my sins. I thank you Lord and willingly recieve your Spirit, your free Gift of eternal life. I have done nothing to deserve such a gift, as your Word states "not of yourselves". There is nothing I could have done to recieve such a gift. Thank you and I praise your wonderful name!"

It is all God. He came to me, convicted me, and saved me. All I did was allow Him to do it. I said ok. God did all the work! Now I believe in Jesus and that is the only condition set forth for salvation. And even that saving faith was given me by God, therefore it is my own only because I was given it freely when I asked for forgiveness. All you have to do is ask.

God Bless!

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. Christ Himself says "After the Parable" ends "SO shall My Father DO TO each of you" when speaking TO Peter and all those listening.

It does not help your argument to recast this as something I wrote in scripture.

#2. BY arguing that it is God's fault - you have negated your doctrinal POV because you have to admit that this instruction from Christ is true - even if you find a way to downsize it to just "pre-cross truth that we no longer pay attention to " -- it is still true for 4000 years of history -- and so again your view is "blaming God".

You are claiming that SINCE God is holding back the servant is just "doing what God did" (equivocating between NO forgiveness and the loss of OSAS entirely)

That was that "gift of forgiveness" the KING gave the servant who "could not pay". THAT is THE POINT!

Out of that great gratitude for such a massive Gift the Servant SHOULD respond to his brothers -- that IS The POINT!!

Only by watering DOWN that gift to something less than nothing can you argue that the servant is just "doing as he has been shown" when HE TOO refuses to forgive!

I am not sure whether you are making my case or yours.

In Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hmm - so the Lord really DID NOT forgive and DID NOT save the one in the parable....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are grasping at straws.

The Context "Shows" that Christ says explicitly that THIS parable illustrates the "Actual" Kingdom of Heaven!

The context "shows" that this is in direct response to PETER's request about really forgiving others.

Christ is saying TO PETER that HE should forgive others as abundantly AS HE has BEEN FORGIVEN by God!

The effort to twist this around just to save OSAS is not worth the trouble. Let OSAS stand or fall on its own. Don't try to change the text.

In Christ,

Bob

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
    So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses."(Matt 18:34-35)

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves : it is the gift of God:"(Eph 2:8)

Either it is ye who saves you or it is " not of yourselves ". You have a delima brother?

God Bless!

18. Tazman

Tazman New Member

PREACH ON THAT!!!

Amen!

It's horrible that a certain theology can make a person actually deny Jesus' direct teaching.

It's simple the Father is the Master. Fear of tradition of the elders

I have friends that believe OSAS, but even they admitted that the "Master" in the Parable is the "Father"

Grace & Peace

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not the one speaking in Matt 18:34-35 - but our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ IS speaking there. I say we "listen to HIM"!

I am not the one who wrote Romans 11:18-21
    Paul did at the direction of the Holy Spirit.

I am also not the one who wrote Eph 2:8 - Paul did at the direction of the Holy Spirit.

If you must choose between Paul and Christ - or choose between Paul in Romans 11:17-21 and Paul in Eph 2:8 then you have "construed too much" out of Eph 2:8 so that it appears to differ with the rest of scripture.

The Text of Matt 18 is "very clear" and it is addressed TO PETER and those who along with him - are following Christ - the true Messiah!

#1. There is "no escaping" the fact that it IS an illustration of "The Kingdom of Heaven".

#2. There is "no escaping" the fact that the summary words of Christ in that instance are OUTSIDE the PARABLE!!

#3. There is "no escaping" the fact that this teaching OF CHRIST is written more than a decade AFTER the cross in obedience to Christ's command to "GO and teach others ALL that I TAUGHT YOU" in Matt 28.

#4. There is "no escaping" the fact that Christ says to Peter "REAL FORGIVENESS" given to him by God demands that we TOO show that same spirit of forgiveness to others!

If you seek to find fault with the REAL Gospel forgiveness within the Kingdom of Heaven that is RECEIVED FROM GOD -- then you have room to justify LACK of forgiveness toward others. No such "open door" is left for the reader in the Words of Christ.

His argument to Peter IN FAVOR of forgiveness is never "Well God did not actually forgive you so don't worry about having to forgive others"!!

In Christ,

Bob

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are ye finding it difficult to deal with "not of yourselves"(Eph 2:8)?

When you are able to coinside Eph 2:8 with all of the "I must do's" you have compiled let me know! [​IMG] You see brother, the only condition of any "gift" offered is that the recepient accept it. That is why it is called a free gift ! It is so simple that it is difficult for the wise to comprehend it. My fifth and sixth graders have no problem understanding "free gift". Why do many of the "learned" struggle with such wonderful grace and mercy? Love ya brother!

God Bless!