1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Matt 18 and Matt 6 Disprove OSAS

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever quoted Ex 32:33, Deut 29:20, Rev 3:5 ?

But I don't think the names in the Book of Life can be
    blotted out due to the works, but due to the apostasy of faith.
    In reality can there be many who may fall under such category?
    The apostasy can be a problem.
    (From smartphone)

#121 Eliyahu, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, If forgiveness revoked is true, and someone loses their salvation because they refused to forgive someone who has wronged them, How do they get saved again? is forgiveness a work that must be done in order to get salvation.

You obviously won't answer this question that has been posed many times because the answer to the question is in conflict with Ephesians 2:8-9 and Titus 3:5, John 3:16, Romans 4:5,Romans 5:1,Romans 11:6, and a whole bunch of other passages of scripture that clearly teach salvation is only by grace through faith.

These verses alone are enough to show that your interpretations of the passages in the OP are incorrect.

we are commanded in 1Co_2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

You always form doctrine based on multiple passages of scripture not just one or 2 isolated passages.

#122 Jordan Kurecki, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every lost person must submit to the convicting message of the Holy Spirit who "who convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" John 16.

Every lost person must - confess and repent as they are lead by the Holy Spirit -- and choose to accept the Gospel. Choose to be a Christian that actually follows the teaching of Christ rather than choosing rebellion against Christ.

Once that choice is made - they are justified, their sins are forgiven, they are enabled to do as Paul said in Romans 8 "BY the SPIRIT put to death the deeds of the flesh". That is a work that can only be engaged in by the saved. But that would include submitting to the teaching of Christ even in Matt 18 rather than being at war against Christ's Word.

Does not matter if they are lost for the first time - or if they managed louse up their Christian walk so much that now they are lost "again".

"For He is able to restore them AGAIN if they do not continue in unbelief" Romans 11.

But - to be honest - I think we all knew this much in the first place.

Don't you?

I find it odd that there are one or two here that keep insisting that this "ABC" first-steps for the lost that are under conviction by the Holy Spirit - is supposed to provide the all-sufficient excuse for ignoring the Word of Christ in Matt 18 and Matt 6.

===============

Back to the 3 easy questions that are being ignored "in real life" on this thread.

I am asking you to respond to the details IN the text.

1. First this one -- where we see an ALREADY FULLY Forgiven servant expected to forgive AS HE WAS TRULY forgiven.

[FONT=&quot]32 ""Then summoning him, his lord said to him, "You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]33 " Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?'[/FONT]

2. Then THIS ONE

Where we see forgiveness revoked - full debt returned.

[FONT=&quot]34 ""And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.

3. Then THiS ONE
    [/FONT]

Where Christ applies the lesson to His listeners - which is obviously OUTSIDE of the parable.

[FONT=&quot]35 "" My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.'' [/FONT]

Which is what we also see with Matt 6. (Which is obviously OUTSIDE of a parable)
    15 But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

So yes that would be "Sola scriptura" testing of your man-made tradition if you can actually address "the Bible details".

Obviously - ducking the these Bible details does not count as addressing them.

======================

Those who think they are responding to these three specific and easy points -- please post your response that pays attention to the Bible details listed -- or else post the link to such a post so we can see if it is fact or myth.

But be careful because as we all know and agree -- "Bible details matter".

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob, don't you see how you went from lousing up the "Christian Walk" to a scripture speaking only about "Belief"?

You just grab a verse here and a verse there and put together this plan of redemption according to Bob's pick and choose plan. Anyone can do that!

So your saying that I can sin and war against Jesus Christ in whom I believe in (louse up my Christian walk) and have my forgiveness revoked, but as long as I believe I will be saved again? Well, when did I stop believing in the first place?? Does that really make sense to you??

Personally, I am guilty of sinning many times against God all the while I still believed Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour. So I don't see how Romans 11 covers any salvation lost because of my Christian walk of rebellion. The only thing Romans 11 speaks of is "belief".

5. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, 'lost people...as they are LED by the Holy Spirit'???
    Can anyone say..."that's Bob quoting Bob"?

6. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

requirement [rɪˈkwaɪəmənt]
    n
    1. something demanded or imposed as an obligation Latin is no longer a requirement for entry to university
    2. a thing desired or needed
    3. the act or an instance of requiring

You have made works a requirement for salvation, just because you place works as an after requirement rather than a prerequisite does not mean that you are not teaching works salvation which is what Eph 8-9 says.

Ironically you are doing exactly what this verse teaches
    Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

This verse is talking about those who would seek their justification from the law(works based), Ryan you have fallen from Grace, you are no longer seeking justification by grace through faith because you have added unto Faith.

Rom_11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

The moment you add any sort of requirement or work to grace, grace ceases to be grace, for you to teach that salvation requires any effort on our part other than believing and trusting Christ (faith) is to add works to grace, therefore you have fallen from grace as is said in Gal 5:4, Gal 5:4 has nothing to do with losing your salvation.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

2 Timothy 1

12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

According to Bob, Jesus really isn't able to keep us.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:thumbs::thumbsup::thumbs::smilewinkgrin:

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

John 6:39, 40
    39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
    40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

These verses and the one you posted by Paul are very clear showing the Security {Preservation}of the Believer yet Ryan rejects them. These Scripture are a great comfort to the true believer.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes it does matter.
    Can you show in the Bible how it is possible for a man to be born again and again and again, etc. There is no such teaching in the Bible.

Can you show in the Bible how once a person is made a child of God, that is born into God's family, that God disowns him, disinherits him, and he no longer is God's child but in actual fact is kicked out of God's family? Where is that teaching in the Bible.

The Bible teaches that the believer is sealed unto the day of redemption.
    Can you tell me where the Bible teaches that "that seal" is ever broken? Where and who breaks the seal of redemption whereby the Holy Spirit of God seals those who come to Christ? Please explain using Scripture.

There is much more. But this is a good starting point.
    If forgiveness revoked is true, then it must fit with the rest of Scripture. Here are some of the Scriptures that it must harmonize with.

11. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

One thing would be: exactly who has he committed to Him?

Another thing is: What Paul says he is persuaded of is not gospel.
    He is not absolutely convinced ... his opinion is not guaranteed truth.

And another thing: If Paul is totally certain, why does he give all the many dozens of warnings?

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There you have it! Paul IS totally certain, and this is why there are no warnings given to believers about losing salvation. Thus, one must seek the Spirit to understand Paul's admonitions to believers. This takes humility and a willingness to abandon man made traditions of a believer becoming lost again. Good luck!

13. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Sorry, but I had to butt in ...

You have already been shown (and ignored) verses which specifically say Christians can ...
    lose "eternal life"
    go to hell
    go to perdition
    experience the wrath of God
    be destroyed
    fall from the faith
    be estranged from Christ
    fall from grace
    etc.

Paul was writing ONLY to the saints at Ephesus who were faithful in Christ Jesus
    when he said they had been sealed, marked, etc. as belonging to God.
    Also ... IMO, God can choose to unseal (unmark) them, can't He?

Just because you insist on it, God does not have to spell everything out in minute detail.
    Paul said that some things are spiritually discerned.
    This is why we have been given the Holy Spirit ... to reveal spiritual truth to us.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So you say. I have never been shown one such verse in my life. A Christian cannot lose his salvation, but many are confused on this issue and believe they can.

To say that one can lose is eternal:
    1. is to call Christ a liar. He said "I give unto you eternal eternal life."
    You really believe he wasn't telling the truth! You ought to be ashamed.

2. To say that eternal doesn't mean eternal makes you a liar.
    Eternal means just what the dictionary says it means--eternal, everlasting, without end. If you think it means something different, you lie. You lie and imply Christ is lying when you deny that Christians have eternal life which cannot be lost.
    There is no scripture that teaches this.
    There is no Scripture that teaches this.
    Christians experience God's displeasure when they sin, even as a child experiences his earthly father's displeasure when he goes against his will. Thus the child of God is disciplined (as the child of the earthly father is also disciplined). If you do not receive God's chastisement then the chances are that you are not a child of God. Read Hebrews 6.
    No Scripture teaches this.
    Some Christians are not as strong in their faith as others.
    Even John the Baptist began to doubt as he languished in jail.
    But he didn't lose all hope, or turn apostate as you imply.
    The Bible does not teach this.
    Study your Bible. If you are this confused, you don't have a good understanding of salvation.
    God does not lie; He does not do those things that are contrary to his nature. It seems that your God is a genie that you put into your pocket and take out any time you want something from him. That is not who God is.
    He is the author of the Bible and his promises are true and faithful. If you choose not to believe in His Word that is your prerogative, but don't call yourself a Christian, a follower of Christ, if you can't believe in the words of Christ.
    The Spirit of discernment comes through the Holy Spirit who works through His Word, which you cast doubt on.
    Therefore IMO, it is you who probably does not have the Spirit of discernment and cannot easily discern spiritual truth.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Until you read Gal 5:4, and Romans 11, and Matt 18 and Matt 6, and Ezek 18 and John 15:1-8 and 1Cor 6 and ...

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I don't think that "paying attention" to the Bible details of Christ's teaching in Matt 18 and Matt 6 is lousing up the Christian Walk the way you seem to think.

================================

Matt 18 is another place where "forgiveness revoked" is a subject of the Bible - often ignored by those clinging to man-made-tradition over the Word of God.

[FONT=&quot]32 ""Then summoning him, his lord said to him, "You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]33 " Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?'[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]34 ""And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]35 "" My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.'' [/FONT]

Matt 6

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
    13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
    14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

15 But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

There is a long list of other texts that disprove OSAS in the same way - such as those we find in Ezek 18.

===========================

No wonder you can not deal with the 3 easy Bible questions that arise from these two chapters.

You are relying on "Bible avoidance" as the primary strength of support for your traditions when it turns out that sola-scriptura testing of your preferences does not support OSAS.

Why would someone not already married to the man-made tradition of OSAS want to join in such a Bible avoidance endeavor as OSAS?

Why get one's self stuck in a position where you have to run from the 3 easy Bible questions that arise from these two texts?

What would be the point?

in Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every lost person must submit to the convicting message of the Holy Spirit who "who convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" John 16.

Every lost person must - confess and repent as they are lead by the Holy Spirit -- and choose to accept the Gospel. Choose to be a Christian that actually follows the teaching of Christ rather than choosing rebellion against Christ.

Once that choice is made - they are justified, their sins are forgiven, they are enabled to do as Paul said in Romans 8 "BY the SPIRIT put to death the deeds of the flesh". That is a work that can only be engaged in by the saved. But that would include submitting to the teaching of Christ even in Matt 18 rather than being at war against Christ's Word.

Does not matter if they are lost for the first time - or if they managed louse up their Christian walk so much that now they are lost "again".

"For He is able to restore them AGAIN if they do not continue in unbelief" Romans 11.

But - to be honest - I think we all knew this much in the first place.

Don't you?

I find it odd that there are one or two here that keep insisting that this "ABC" first-steps for the lost that are under conviction by the Holy Spirit - is supposed to provide the all-sufficient excuse for ignoring the Word of Christ in Matt 18 and Matt 6.

The Bible never calls the act of repentance and confession and accepting the Gospel "works" no not even "salvation by works" and yet some people have tried to make that idea up -- having no scripture at all to support it.

A lot of Arminians on the BB get that point - clearly.

Let us look at 'the Bible details' that tell us what the lost cannot do - and what they can do that "Results" in salvation.

=======================================

Here we see what the lost CANNOT do

[FONT=&quot]Rom 8[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 because [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God;[/FONT][FONT=&quot] for it [/FONT][FONT=&quot]does not subject itself to the Law of God[/FONT][FONT=&quot], for it [/FONT][FONT=&quot]is not even able to do so[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Those who claim they are not "able to subject themselves" to the Law of God - are claiming the position of the lost - "in the flesh".

However Romans 10 points out what the lost CAN do that "results in salvation". (And I think they can do it by the power of the Holy Spirit who "convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" - not just the born-again, not just the regenerate)

[FONT=&quot]Rom 10[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,
    9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
    10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]11 For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." [/FONT]

And as the text states - salvation follows.

in Christ,

Bob

#137 BobRyan, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You must have misunderstood my post so I will post it again. Maybe snap out of the program of paste a clip the same old same old and actually do some thinking and debating!

Bob, don't you see how you went from lousing up the "Christian Walk" to a scripture speaking only about "Belief"?

You just grab a verse here and a verse there and put together this plan of redemption according to Bob's pick and choose plan. Anyone can do that!

So your saying that I can sin and war against Jesus Christ in whom I believe in (louse up my Christian walk) and have my forgiveness revoked, but as long as I believe I will be saved again? Well, when did I stop believing in the first place?? Does that really make sense to you??

Personally, I am guilty of sinning many times against God all the while I still believed Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour. So I don't see how Romans 11 covers any salvation lost because of my Christian walk of rebellion. The only thing Romans 11 speaks of is "belief".

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I find it odd, that in the light of the above, you are still unable to answer the following:

Can you show in the Bible how it is possible for a man to be born again and again and again, etc. There is no such teaching in the Bible.

Can you show in the Bible how once a person is made a child of God, that is born into God's family, that God disowns him, disinherits him, and he no longer is God's child but in actual fact is kicked out of God's family? Where is that teaching in the Bible.

The Bible teaches that the believer is sealed unto the day of redemption.
    Can you tell me where the Bible teaches that "that seal" is ever broken? Where and who breaks the seal of redemption whereby the Holy Spirit of God seals those who come to Christ? Please explain using Scripture.

There is much more. But this is a good starting point.
    If forgiveness revoked is true, then it must fit with the rest of Scripture. Here are some of the Scriptures that it must harmonize with.

20. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

You are the liar ... because many such verses HAVE been shown to you.

Eternal life means eternal, and remains in place ... until one rejects it, or until God revokes it.

True saving belief means to have faith, to trust, and to obey.
    No obedience means to no longer have true saving faith, i.e. loss of salvation.
    This has happened to many BACs throughout history.
    However, this never happens to those of Romans 8:28-30, who were elected before the foundation of the world.

Note: the above is not for you (again), but for others (perhaps for the first time).

Would you care to complete your position and declare to us and to God (again) that cessationism is true?

My position (again) is that these are the 2 major doctrines from the very pits of hell.

I am posting this in the Other Christian Denominations sub-forum,
    and I assume that since I didn't start this thread, it will not be locked like my last one was.

#140 evangelist-7, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013