1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew 18:20 Is About the Son; Not the Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by HopefulNChrist, Oct 10, 2018.

1. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20)

When Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit, does He not defer from Himself by referring to the Person of the Holy Spirit as "He" or "Him"?

So when Jesus use the pronoun " I ", Who is He testifying of in making this promise? Himself, the Son.

So then what is Jesus talking about? You can check the Greek word from which "midst" was derived from, you may find the definition as meaning middle or in between.

HTML Bible Index - King James Version - Strongs Concordance - Frames Version

"from meta - meta 3326; middle (as an adjective or (neuter) noun):--among, X before them, between, + forth, mid(-day, -night), midst, way."

So in context:

Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Jesus is referring to His future role as our only Mediator between God and man in regards to prayer; He is not testifying in being a spook among the assembly of 2 or 3 believers when praying.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

So Matthew 18:20 when read in context of Matthew 18:19-20, is about Jesus serving as our Mediator whenever 2 or 3 gather to pray.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm 57 years and never heard of anyone who believes that Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit in Matthew 18:20.

Jesus said in the Great Commission that he would be "with" them [us] even until the end of the world.

Ergo, Christ is omnipresent as he IS God and he is at the right hand of the father - being an intercessor for us AND according to his own words, is with us.

Your word "spook" is off putting whether you are referencing Christ or the Holy Spirit.

3. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is meant to be off putting when they are looking for the Holy Spirit outside of them to be felt outside of them where they are at.

Scripture places the Holy Spirit in us to abide in us forever as promised since our salvation so we know that spirit outside of us are spooks, and you can call them spook, or the Biblical term, seducing spirits aka the spirit of the antichrist. I chose spook because in regards to mediums, that is where spooks are at to show how believers are astray in according to His words by ignoring the line of discernment given when testing the spirits as the apostle John has taught in 1 John 4:1-4

I know that the Holy Ghost is not a spook, but anything outside of us is a spook and thus not the Holy Spirit. No one can get any closer to God by having the Holy Spirit visiting the worship place to be felt outside of believers when He dwells in us.

This is about defending the faith in Jesus Christ. This is about keeping the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ to abstain from all appearances of evil by which those who seek after receiving the Holy Spirit apart from salvation after a sign have gone astray by.

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.:

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: