1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew 24:34 - this generation or this race?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Covenanter, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 24:34 - this generation or this race?

From another thread:

Mat. 24:32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

Ian asked John:
    Can you explain why your argument for "race" is based on the word "genos" rather than the word "genea" which is consistently translated "generation"?

The meaning & usage of the related Greek words is clearly very significant. It seems as if the search engine used by Prophecy70 & myself is more reliable & accurate than that used by John, even with his knowledge of Greek.

I would recommend www.blueletterbible.com which offers a host of facilities -
    search in many versions including Greek & Hebrew;
    every occurrence shown in actual verses;
    Strong's numbers displayed & immediately linked for definition & usage;

verses displayed in Greek TR & mGNT so enabling actual Gk words to be displayed in context;
    many commentaries available directly linked to the verse in question;
    ++++ many more.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I made mistakes. I admit it. And I'm glad Covenanter and prophecy70 were able to catch them and let me correct them. It shows they are doing their own research.

Okay, the raison detre for this thread is accomplished. :)

さよなら。 (Sayonara.)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.