1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Matthew 24

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, May 23, 2018.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Eph 2:5 say the same thing as 1 Cor 15:22?

Eph 2:1-3
    Also you -- being dead in the trespasses and the sins, in which once ye did walk according to the age of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all did walk once in the desires of our flesh, doing the wishes of the flesh and of the thoughts, and were by nature children of wrath -- as also the others,

Does that basically say: In Adam all die?

What is, the grace of God that brings salvation? 1 Cor 15 17,18 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

Is the resurrection from the dead of the seed of David, the grace of God that brings salvation?

Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound. Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2 Tim 2:8-10

I do not believe the first resurrection is out new birth. I believe the first resurrection, 1 Cor 15:23 Christ singular, brought about our receiving the Spirit of adoption Acts 2:32,33 which will result in the adoption, Rom 8:23 & Rom 8:11.

Quickened in Christ.

2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, beginning with first century Christians, according God's timing.

John 5:24 ‘Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.

28 ‘Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out – those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. 30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

Jesus makes the two resurrections clear in John 5:24-30. Resurrection of our souls, then resurrection of our bodies.

And yes, they are 1,000 years apart for those born again in the first century. All mankind are born dead in trespasses & sins. Only Believers receive the first resurrection. That is clear from Rev. 20:4-6. The 1,000 years is from Calvary to Jesus' return for the second resurrection & judgment. Rev. 20:11-15

How can sinners be protected from the second death? Only by partaking in the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly it does - we are all born spiritually dead. Salvation is spiritual life.

I can't prove from 1 Cor. 15 that the first resurrection of souls is salvation, but it is inferred -
    17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.
    Notice in Christ is our present position. The spiritual truth baptism represents is our death to sin & new life in Christ. We are spiritually alive in Christ, having been born again.

4. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. 20:6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

This is our present status as born again believers in Christ. Jesus made that clear in Rev. 1
    To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father – to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

As Peter also affirms, quoting God's Covenant promise:
    1 Pet. 2:4 As you come to him, the living Stone – rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him – 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
    9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Exo. 19: 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.’

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the First resurrection is unto eternal life, at Second Coming, while the Second One is reserved for just those lost and found at the GWT!
    Resurrection in the Bible refers to the physical and bodily resurrection, not us geting saved!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first resurrection is a physical and bodily resurrection unto eternal life, second one to eternal damnation, and neither event has happened yet!