1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MBBC President resigned under pressure

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Keeper of the Home

You know, I don't talk on this forum very much, but I feel like I need to here. My husband is an over-the-road trucker and this summer he was home only 2 1/2 days in 6 weeks. Did I feel widowed? No. Why? He kept in touch with me everyday and let me know that he cared and loved. Dr. J. is the same way, I'm sure. Kathy probably didn't feel it as bad as he did. I know my husband feels worse about it than I do. Do I like him being gone? No, but it is his job.

As far as his kids. Katie just graduated college and Davis just finished his sophomore year or maybe Junior in college. At that age, dad being home is not as big a deal as they are at college and working camps and things in the summer. Many are married at their ages and not as dependent as younger kids. I don't think not being home for 20+ year old kids is that big of a deal.

Like I said, I think that Dr. J. probably felt worse about it than those at home.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

sorry...but if he lied to the board (and all indications say he did)...I just don't understand why someone would do that unless they had something to hide.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhet, I agree with you about workaholics, but I don't think this Scripture (1 Tim. 5:8) applies here. Dr. Jaspers has always taken care of his family physically, which is what in the context that verse is talking about.

This is all very sad. I am a graduate of MBBC grad school. Dr. Jaspers is a good man and somewhat of a friend, though I never got to know him as well as I wished. I hope everyone will sit back and remember that no immorality is proven here. The charges by the therapist were not proven anywhere, so they remain just that--charges. Think about how you would respond to such charges--they may come your way someday. "Innocent until proven guilty," I believe.

Paul33 said in his OP, "Does this concern any of you? I'm deeply troubled with how much time presidents of fundamental colleges are away from home 'ministering.'" For my part I am concerned and troubled that Paul33 decided to stick that "fundamental" word in there, as if it didn't happen elsewhere. I imagine the percentage of workaholics is about the same in any group. It's the "American" (and Japanese, and Chinese, and, and) way, isn't it?

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever been falsely accused and had to defend yourself? I think it is a human reaction, though wrong, to try to minimize the damage of such an accusation.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, Mapipe. Dr. Jasper's kids have turned out fine. Many of us up the work load after the kids are grown up, and I am sure that is what Dr. J. did. The current problem has nothing to do with his kids, I feel.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Actually, I have...but IMO nothing crumbles a false accusation better than the truth.

I sincerely hope this fellow is able to repent and to be restored to some sort of ministry...and if these accusations are false, that the truth will come out.

7. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

If you read the July 26 letter you will see that he has admitted that he lied to the board and he has apologized for that.

It seems as if the situation is being rectified - or at least starting to...

#27 Ophelia, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Paul,

I think you bring up a good point. It does seem that the board was responding to his initial letter. It was first put out as a letter to the students on their intra-campus email system.......so perhaps not as public as it eventually has become? Of course, students started posting it other places on the internet, so it very quickly became widespread.

But personally I think the board should not have said as much as they did. Why drag it all out into the open if Dr Jaspers had already been repentant? Also why say all that while at the same time admitting that they aren't a church and cannot therefore administer church discipline? Especially as, according to them, there was no criminal wrongdoing and apparently it also had no affect on the student body except for their president resigning?

I mean the Board's response was more public than the "wrongdoing" was. IMO, they revealed too much to the public. Beyond his church, who really needed to know?

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Although specifically in the context of a pastor or deacon, this points out the importance of God's people being blameless and is a stark reminder to us all of the need for diligence in living a blameless life.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the truth is incredibly important, and I hope you came through the false accusations okay.

Having said that, sometimes false accusations can ruin a life or ministry. In this case, though there were evidently some unwise decisions by the accused, who knows anything about the accuser? She may be honest or she may be a Potipher's wife. She may be a sweet Christian or she may be an enemy of Christ. So, in my mind and heart Dr. Jaspers will remain innocent. And I'll pray. :praying:

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I have back problems. If my chiropractor suggested massage therapy and the therapist was a woman you can rest assured that my wife would accompany me to every session.

That is all a I meant by not being blameless. I don't have a clue about what Dr Jaspers did or did not do, but he could have kept blameless by using a little more wisdom. In his letter Dr Jaspers clearly admits a failing in this area.

Rather than jump to conclusions we do well to heed his warning and use the utmost wisdom and discretion is areas such as this.

#31 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Must you always demonize me? My concern is "fundamental" because I am one!

And what I see is a celebrity circuit among fundamental college presidents. Is this "circuit" really necessary?

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I understand your perspective. After Jaspers posted his initial letter, the internet response was praise for him for stepping down to spend more time with his family. My hunch is that this really upset the board. They waited to see if he would respond according to their wishes. When the counselor broke off sessions, the board went public with the accusations.

Was the board's public letter vindictive (let's get this guy because his posting is making him more sympathetic and giving him more praise), or was it concern (we need to share the accusations to make others aware)?

Would the board be liable in any way if they had remained quiet. Let him resign for personal reasons. Let him resign to spend more time with his family. Let him continue his extensive speaking itinerary. We've accepted his resignation and we have nothing further to say. Would that be acceptable? Would it be biblical? Would it be gracious? Would it be merciful? Would it be ethical?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't trying to demonize you. I'm sorry you took it that way. I was simply disagreeing with you. I just don't think it is a Fundamental problem, I think it is a human problem. I live in a nation of workaholics--a recent poll said that Japanese kids only get to talk to their fathers a few minutes every week, and that is a tragedy.

I don't know what you mean by this, not living in the States.

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Yeah, I think it would have been more than acceptable for them to just let it go. I think it would have been more Biblical, really.

I don't know what you mean by a "celebrity circuit" either.........but maybe thats because I don't pay attention to who Bible college presidents are.

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

College presidents who spend much of their time traveling the preaching circuit - preaching here, there, everywhere. It seems ego driven.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Judgement call. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is only that.

18. jbrown

jbrown New Member

Dave Jaspers - Jimmy Swaggart

The Dave Jaspers situation reminds me of the Jimmy Swaggart situation. The stone cold reality; we all have "issues" and with men, more often then not, it is sexual issues.

Jer. 17:9, the heart of man is desperately wicked......

Working through sexual issues is often a lifetime project; not a 2 month adventure.

But, in Dave Jasper's defense; who would volunteer information of a deviant sexual nature if you were the president of an independent Baptist school? Nobody!

But God has His ways of insisting we come to grips with our issues. Apparently He has decided it was time to call brother Dave to account. I don't think I would alot to Dave Jaspers a moral righteousness superior to King David's.

P.S., I still mourn for Jimmy Swaggart

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoa! In no way is Dr. Jasper's situation like that of Jimmy Swaggart. Apples and oranges. Your post reads like a vicious attack on a good man's character, whether you meant it that way or not. Nothing has been proven or accused about Dr. Jasper of a "deviant sexual nature," though accusations were made. He has admitted lying, and that is what was the cause of his termination as president. However, the accusations against Swaggart were proven.

P. S. Having said that, I notice you are new to the BB. Welcome! But this is a Baptist thread. God bless.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, C4K. I agree with your whole post.