1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain didn't want Trump at funeral service

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Aaron, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The quote was from a new yorker interview after a Trump rally in Phoenix where he spent most of the speech firing people up about illegal immigration.

John McCain Has a Few Things to Say About Donald Trump

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Donald Trump has all of the maturity of a 7-year old boy.

“President Trump nixed issuing a statement that praised the heroism and life of Sen. John McCain, telling senior aides he preferred to issue a tweet before posting one Saturday night that did not include any kind words for the late Arizona Republican.”

Trump rejected plans for a White House statement praising McCain

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How old were/are these guys?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of folks wearing rose colored glasses on this thread. Families of POW/MIA are probably not lavishing his death with such reverence.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. Some of us know how to behave after someone dies. Apparently, some folks no longer know how to do that, even though they are Christians.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I don't defend McCain either.

I'm just saying that if I were McCain's child and Donald Trump had disparaged my father's being a POW in a manic statement - I wouldn't have him at my father's funeral.

Trump's biggest problem is his mouth. I'll vote for him again, but I wish he would learn to control the "social media teenage girl" insults he hurls out when they are not necessary. It makes him sound like he has a loose screw.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Story filed by CBS's Emily Tillett that KenH relies on:

[​IMG]
    cbsnews.com/news/flag-flies-at-full-staff-at-white-house-as-nation-honors-john-mccains-death/

Here's what the U.S. Code dictates be done:

4 U.S. Code § 7 (m)

#48 Jerome, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Flags are lowered by presidential proclamation, so the president decides who receives the honor. But the recent tradition for sitting senators who die in office has been to have flags lowered in their honor from their death until their burial.

During former President Barack Obama's time in office, four sitting senators died while he was in office: Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts in 2009, Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia in 2010, Democratic Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii in 2012 and Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey in 2013.

Obama signed proclamations for Kennedy, Bryd and Inouye, and those proclamations lowered flags to half staff until the days they were buried. The Obama White House archives don't include a proclamation for Lautenberg, though per his obituary by the Associated Press, the flag did fly at half-staff at the White House for an unspecified amount of time.

Additionally, when Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died in 2016 – the first time a justice died in office in more than 50 years – Obama signed a proclamation on the day of his death, ordering flags lowered until his burial."

Breaking with tradition, White House flags return to full staff after McCain's death

10. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wonder if Palin attended. McCain said some really hurtful things about her in his last days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you feel about a sister trying to stand up for her lost brother? Let me tell you her tale.
    On Nov.11,1992, Delores Alfond, the sister of a missing airman, who chaired the National Alliance of Families, testified at a senate public hearing. She asked for information about data the government had gathered from electronic devices used in a classified program called PAVE SPIKE. The devices were motion sensors designed to pick up enemy movement, & could have manually entered data, which our guys were trained to use with their # being entered. It was collected electronically by planes flying over.
    Alfond stated that in 1974, a year after all POW’s were supposed to have been returned, data gathering showed no less than 20 authenticator numbers had been entered into PAVE SPIKES that corresponded with the #’s of POW’s lost in Laos. She added that the Senate committee had not discussed it or released what it knew about PAVE SPIKE.
    McCain attended the hearing to confront her. He bellowed & berated her, his face turning red. He accused her of denigrating his patriotism. She finally began to cry. When she gathered herself, & tried to respond, he stormed out.
    When will the public be made aware of PAVE SPIKE, & those 20 POW’s. It’s still classified.

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Trump tried many times to bury the hatchet with McCain. McCain wouldn't let it happen. Trump has been very gracious in these last days when McCain took a turn for the worse. But McCain then decided to politicize his own death and expressly disinvite the POTUS to his funeral. That's his choice, but it's a shame. I think the President has struck the right tone and done the right thing, thus far.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Calminian

Site Supporter

I think he was conflicted. He's voted for conservative SC justices which is really important. But McCain loved being loved. So while conservative, he did everything he could to be loved by liberals, particularly the liberal media. It's ironic, because when he ran for President they didn't love him back, but then he went right back to them again when he was in a position to be a "maverick."

Bottom line though, I wish he didn't politicize his death. But we can forgive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, as I just wish that he owuld have kept walking all the way over nd turn to a Dem, and have a conservative republican in his stead all those years!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.