1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain: Episcopalian, Baptist, Christian, or None of the Above

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JustChristian, Oct 29, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

ABC News' Bret Hovell Reports: Sen. John McCain's campaign staff identified him as "Episcopalian" in a questionnaire prepared for ABC News' August 5 debate, notwithstanding the presidential candidate's claim that he has long identified himself as a Baptist.

On Monday, amid questions about his religious persuasion, the Arizona Republican said he has been attending a North Phoenix Baptist Church for many years.

"I'd like to add there's been some talk about my religious persuasion," McCain said in Lexington, South Carolina, speaking to reporters after a rally on the final day of his "No Surrender" tour.

"I was raised in an Episcopal church and attended high school at a high school called Episcopal High School. I have attended North Phoenix Baptist Church for many years, and the most important thing is that I'm a Christian. And I don't have anything else to say on the issue," McCain said.

McCain's presidential campaign says he has been attending the Phoenix area church for more than 15 years.

Curiosity about his religion was sparked Sunday when McCain, who has long been identified as an Episcopalian, was asked what role his Episcopal faith plays in his life.

"It plays a role in my life. By the way, I'm not Episcopalian. I'm Baptist," McCain told the Associated Press after a rally in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

But the Senator's biography in the 2007 edition of the Congressional Directory lists his faith as Episcopalian.

At a recent Fox News debate, each candidate was introduced with a short description that included religion. McCain's was described as Episcopalian, and neither the candidate nor the campaign issued a correction or clarification.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you noticed that most people who identify themselves as Christians but are unclear about their profession of faith and who don't get involved enough in any given church, even one they've attended, are really not Christians at all? About 80% of the people in the United States identify their religion as Christianity but for many of them it don't have any impact on their lives or anyone else. Does anyone here believe that 80% of Americans are really Christian? If its not apparent to those around them then they aren't. The Bible says:

Jam 2:14 What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
    Jam 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
    Jam 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?
    Jam 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So what's Obama?:rolleyes::BangHead:

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The article sums up the point I made here on the BB long ago. John McCain grew up in an Episcopalian home and in the Episcopalian church. His wife and children are members of a Baptist church and he attends that church when in AZ. However, that does not make him a Baptist. Regardless, we need to remember that we should not be voting for and against him because of his understanding (or lack thereof) of Baptist Polity.

Your post goes on to imply that he is somehow not a Christian (or to question his faith). You quote James 2:14-17 for biblical support. However, in using that passage you fail to demonstrate that John McCain does in fact have no works which would demonstrate his faith. In short, you have provided yet another elaborate but fallacious argument...:tonofbricks:

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A non-Christian and an advocate of a racist approach to Christianity.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

McCain is NOT a member of a Baptist church outside Phoenix. He's never joined the church in 20 years. This reminds me of a fact about George Washington. Washington was also a nominal Episcopalian but when they observed the Lord's Supper he went outside and sat in his carriage.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

What would you call a man who would sit in a "church" for 20 years listening to the "pastor" spew hatred toward whites and America?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said he is a Christian.

He has said nothing to indicate otherwise, as Obama has.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

No one here is arguing that he is a Baptist. However, he may think he is because he attends and has attended a Baptist church for a very long time. Yet, we should not be voting either for or against him based on his understanding (or lack thereof) of Baptist Polity and what we mean when we talk about being a member of a Baptist church.

The greater concern here is your apparent attempt to paint him as an unbeliever with your quote of James 2:14-17 for support. However, you utterly failed to demonstrate that John McCain, in fact, has no good works that would prove his faith. As such your argument and thread are fallacious.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You did notice it was a multi racial Church? I don't think that was his message each Sunday or why would a white member remain? Unharmed?

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

For how many years did white churches do the same thing against blacks. When did the Southern Baptist Convention (which split off from the Northern Baptist Convention over slavery) finally repudiate its support of slavery? The answer is June 20, 1995. It wasn't as if they didn't have the time to address this issue. They addressed many, many others. It just wasn't their focus as a Christian church to state that God created everyone of every race equal in His sight. Now that's "spewing hatred" for a long, long time.

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

What does any of this discussion regarding the SBC have to do with John McCain and to which denomination he belongs? What does this have to do with the subject of the OP?

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why do you choose to justify "Reverend" Wright?

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

It's a red herring. You're beating him with logic...classic mis-direction on BB's part.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares?

Besides being off topic, it's ancient history and no "repudiation" was called for.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm not justifying Wright or any preacher who doesn't preach Christ. I believe sermons should be focused on information, explanation and exhortation. We should be encouraging the lost to become saved and encouraging the saved to want to do a little better toward living a Godly life.

I was just pointing out the fact that there were white people in the Church so I don't think that was his every Sunday rhetoric.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Perhaps not, but whether I was white, black, yellow or green, the first time I sat in a church where the preacher preached "God damn America" would be the last time I sat there. It sure wouldn't take me 20 years to realize that something was rotten in there.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Unfortunately, in many churches, there are people who are there to be seen. My guess is some folks were "cozying up" to certain power players, and church was a means to that end.

Some people will sit through anything, if it furthers their cause.