1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mechanics of a Perfect Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ad hominem.

Exaltation.

I have studied Greek and Hebrew for 14 years now, and to think, I find myself explaining the two using English all the time.

Lord, forgive me for using my academic histories in any of these discussions.:praying:

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Best not, that is the job of the Holy Ghost in matters concerning God's word.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Sal, yes we do agree. Good going with the bicycle. Would John be on that bike too?:laugh:

John, I see dynamic equivalence being employed all along in translation but not as the dominant philosophy. As old as the KJV is, it has employed such. Just an example.

So we put the "literal" translation is the reader's hand, and what next? Frankly speaking, there is no "literal" translation out there, and there never will be one? Even though the NASB is my preaching bible, I still quote from the NIV and the NLT, which are considered loose to a large degree, the latter more than the former. But even when I do not use either one, I still find myself having to explain words and phrases and concepts.

Because I make points off syntax, I have chosen the NASB. It has maintained the "therefores," etc. But I still see a place for the NIV, NLT and other such bibles. And the KJV in some of its renderings is absolutely magisterial.

Remember, God wants the common man to be able to read his word and understand it.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come now, I haven't attacked you. Don't be so sensitive. I think it was a perfectly logical conclusion that you didn't know any foreign language due to your unusual :smilewinkgrin: advice about trying to get the Greek article into Japanese.
    Baloney. It isn't exaltation to simply give one's qualifications. Otherwise every resume ever written would be prideful. I think it is perfectly valid to estabilish one's bonifides in a discussion like this.
    You haven't. You simply said you've studied Greek and Hebrew for 14 years. That might be academic, it might not--depends on if you are studying at a school or on your own. At any rate, I'm sure the Lord forgives you.

But I would like to get this back to the OP. Do you disagree that a perfect translation would be miraculous, since we humans are imperfect? Or do you believe in a version of sinless perfection?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure I would enjoy discussing this with you as I have time if you want to start a thread. I've done it a couple of times on the BB. However, the OP is about the mechanics of a possible perfect translation.

6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I know this was intended to be a simple example, so it is not my intention by the following comments to ridicule, but just to show that literalness is highly desirable in translation.

We are not presented with the fictional 'original' text that these three faux translations represent. But suppose that the street has a dip or a hill, therefore "down" is an important distinction not included in the third rendering at all.

I have also witnessed the use in English of "up" to mean "away" (so that, "A boy on a blue bicycle rides up the street" could also mean away from the observer) and then conversely, "down" could mean coming toward the observer.

"On the street" is set forward in the third example; could this be positioning be for emphasis? This could emphatically mean that the boy is riding directly upon the pavement or road surface. It is possible to interpret the other two "down the street" as including sidewalks, the gutter, road shoulders, or bike lanes. Typically, when I say that I walked up (or down) the street, I mean my feet were on the sidewalk, not literally in the street with the traffic. "On the street" could be unique is some other way (perhaps the boy normally does not leave his home property, or a cycle track).

The second example specifically places the boy "on" the bicycle. All three tell us that the boy "rides" the bicycle, but that is somewhat vague. Is the boy also the operator of the bicycle? Perhaps he is just a passenger is some manner: is this a tandem bike, or has he 'doubled-up' with a friend by sitting between the handlebars? The context might make it clear.

All three are different with subtle meaning; while this may seem to be ridiculous, it is exactly the extent by which people scrutinize Bible translations.

#46 franklinmonroe, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if folks simply must discuss the little boy on the bicycle....;)

I will say this much about it. It is possible to have two perfect but slightly different translations of one passage. I can prove that Biblically. Compare Mark 5:41 and Luke 8:54. Mark gives the original words Jesus said in Aramaic, Talitha cumi. Mark and Luke translate slightly differently, emphasizing different nuances, but both give the complete meaning of the original.

8. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Exactly the point of the topic (Questions About Differences) comparing Isaiah 47 and 2 Kings 19. Two different translations by the KJV revisors of (basically) the same Hebrew text.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I don't? Hmmm, first I heard of that.

I didn't know you were applying for a job.

I am sure not to boast. The comment I made was as humble as I know to make it.

I use many of the same textbooks the more conservative Bible colleges use in matters of Greek and Hebrew languages.

I believe God is the only sinless perfection. His Word is sinless in it's operative to expose sin and reveal righteousness.

His word is already perfectly translated everytime the Holy Ghost guides anyone into all truth. That is a bonifide miracle if there ever was one.

What stumps me about, well, it seems rather to be stumping you,this, is that anything you understand concerning the Bible is from an English perception. You are attempting to translate your English understanding into what you understand into modern Japanese. If you understand both languages, then I cannot see why it cannot be done.

Nothing as marvelous as you seem to make this, else how is it you can say you understand the Greek, explain it in English, but have trouble explaining it in Japanese???

Maybe your understanding of Japanese is lacking, I wouldn't know.:sleeping_2:

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Of course we all want the Utopian concept applied.

"Street" would most likely be understood to be closest to being level due to the fact there were no adjectives describing elevations at all. No distance is suggested, it is only a simple illustrative imperative.

True, and a cultural understanding might need be applied, thus dynamic equivelence should be considered to render a full comprehensive understanding.

The "street" would conclusively include the sidewalks, gutters, etc. Nice examination.

Dynamics again. A literal understanding to possibly include other riders would then need be imperative. No other understanding would be permissable except the boy was on the bicycle to be able to ride the bicycle.

Nothing ridiculous about the mind wanting to establish the scheme of any passage to specifically determine things in any statement. The end result is the boy was riding a blue bicycle on the street in all three instances, regardless of any other suggestions or implications.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed that thread. I'll have to check it out.

12. Askjo

Askjo New Member

American Sign Language (ASL) is a short syntax grammar. The Greek is a long syntax grammar. ASL is similar to Greek.

A hearing evangelist, who has a deaf sister, told me that he can’t do both at the same time. I asked him why he said that. He replied that ASL is short sentence, but English is a full sentence. He can’t translate both during he was a speaker at same time. Someone told me that ASL is something that an interpreter can’t explain what ASL is like a big picture. For example, when a deaf person uses ASL for short comment, an interpreter will interpret from this to a long sentence or a few sentences. An interpreter understands what a deaf person said, but this interpreter tries the best to provide clear comments such more details rathar than a sentence.

Well, can ASL be translated to English? OR can ASL be interpreted to English? Keep in mind that the translation and the interpretation are not same. Question: How would you translate from ASL to English?

Japanese language has 50 letters; English language has 26 letters.

How would you translate from English to Japanese? I am not aware of Japanese language. How would you translate from Greek to Japanese?

Does Japanese language have everything that English does not have? Does English language have everything that Japanese language does not have?

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you are fluent in a foreign language? What language?
    Excellent! Keep at it.

My two year figure is the minimum for a missionary to Japan. The poorest missionary here has still gone through two years of full time language study. It doesn't exalt me at all to say I've been through two years of full time Japanese study. What I do exalt is the office of missionary, as Paul said, "I magnify my office."
    That is the doctrine of illumination by the Holy Spirit. I am asking about Bible translation, not illumination.
    Well of course it can be done. The OP is asking, can it be done perfectly? And I have asked how it would be done perfectly--the mechanics. If you believe a perfect transaltion is possible, let me ask you once again, how does it happen? Is it by a miracle?
    Come, come. You were the one who advised me in your first post on this thread: "I would hope you would ask for more than the few of you to take on such a tremendous task. 'There is safety in the multitude of counsellors.'" Now why would you say that unless you recognized that the process of translation is very difficult and takes much work and care? You must have thought I would make mistakes without helpers or you wouldn't have said that. Does this mean you don't believe a perfect translation is possible?
    I thought I had made it extremely clear that yes, my understanding of Japanese is lacking, though I've been here 26 years. I am imperfect. I make mistakes and therefore need help from a Japanese linguist, and even then my son (who is fluent because he grew up here) corrects our corrections. The UN requires all of its translators to be native speakers. Should I allow the world to have higher standards than I do?

Now I ask you again to answer the OP. Is a perfect translation possible? If so, how does it happen? :type:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Oh Lord! It's hard to be humb..." [​IMG]

Wouldn't pass up the chance!

Ed

#54 EdSutton, May 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2007
  15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hi, Askjo.

Actually, Japanese has two corresponding alphabets of 50 characters each (one for Japanese words and one for foreign names, loan words, etc.), and also uses thousands of Chinese characters called kanji. Many linguists consider the Japanese written language to be the most difficult in the world.
    The Japanese language is different from English in many ways: the verb comes at the end of the sentence, there are more syllables in a sentence but fewer morphemes (meaningful sounds), the adjectives can become verbs sometimes and the verbs can become adjectives sometimes, etc., etc. However, Japanese is a very sophisticated language, and every truth and doctrine of the Word of God and every narrative can be translated very accurately.

Here are some of the principles of the translation method I use (leaving out more technical aspects):

(1) When possible translate literally, but with proper grammar and syntax in the receptor language.
    (2) Translate with good literary quality, aiming for readability. I avoid many colloquialisms, aiming for dignity.
    (3) Preserve the difficulties and ambiguities of the original as much as possible; they were no doubt meant to be there. (This is referred to as transparency.)
    (4) When translating idioms and figures of speech, translate literally if it makes sense in the receptor language. If you can't translate literally, look for an idiom or figure of speech with an equivalent meaning, or translate thought for thought.
    (5) Avoid if possible words with ethical or religious baggage. For example, I avoid one Japanese word for understanding, satori, since it is the word used by Buddhism for enlightenment.
    (6) A qualified native speaker must help in the revision.

Here are a couple of books that have influenced me:
    Complete Equivalence in Bible Translation, by James Price
    Translating Truth, by Wayne Grudem and others

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ed, you, a country music fan?? :eek: ;)

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I am not even fluent in American Southern Hillbilly, so tioanswer that question, NONE.
    I fully intend on it.

The differences between a Japanese missionary and an Apostle are numerous. Are comparing the two?

Translation without illumination is apostacy. Thanks for pointing that out!

Divine inspiration of the translation being illuminated in the heart and soul of the translators. There is none other that isn't more than a commentary on the Scripture.

I know a perfect translation is possible, in fact we have it already.

We have what we call differences in accounts due to the cultural mindsets of the time and the different penmen at that time whom God inspired. Modern versionists love to call those discrepencies and mistakes.

Ever wonder why God didn't call on a counsel of any one group of men and by Divine appointment grouped men into different groups to compile a perfect translation?
    OK, good point, but then I would have to see what you believe concerning English before I could judge your aility to properly translate into Japanese. I am not suggesting I judge you in that respect, but am only offering my opinion since you asked for it.
    Yes, it's called harmony of the Scriptures. That is why we can view other versions and see the mistakes caused by the interpretive allusions to the mind and heart causing disharmony.

I hope your work is an inspiration of God and not merely another work of men.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I said as humbly as I know how, not that I was perfect in every way.

Do you really like that much like Snidely's pooch?

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Wouldn't "perfect" fit into that statement?

....contradicts..>
    ....contradicts...>
    Is it a Buddhist word or Japanese?
    Qualifications please?

I thought you didn't like dynamic equivalences?

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It would be a whole nother thread, but I believe there are two kinds of apostles in Scripture, and a church planting missionary is the same as the second kind.
    So, then, back to the OP. How does a missionary Bible translator produce a perfect translation? Please support with Scripture. I need promises from the Word of God, not human opinions. The Bible teaches much about translation, it should say something about this.
    I'm not translating from English, so what does English have to do with it? The KJV says nothing about English, so why should I comment on English to you?

Suppose I were a German missionary named Karl Gutzlaff, translating the first ever portion of the word of God into Japanese, publishing it in 1837, and I didn't know English. (Karl really did exist.) What does the Bible say about how I can have a perfect translation?
    I would love to be able to apply the word theopneustos to my work, but I'm afraid I can't. If a translation can be inspired, can you give me Scripture so that I can be sure God is inspiring my work?

I just spent a good deal of time on the Greek words age nun ("Go to, now" in your KJV) in James 4:13. If I translate this idiom literally into Japanese, it will come out that the backslidden businessman should go ahead on his trip, rather than that he should listen to James. What should I do to make sure I get it right? Give me practical, Biblical help here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.