1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Medical Support for the Atkins Diet

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Cindy, May 22, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Major Question here! Our son in law started this diet this past week. He weighed 265 (5'5") on Sunday and yesterday afternoon, he weighed himself before showering for work. He'd lost 15 pounds since Sunday on the Atkins Diet.

Does this sound right???

Diane

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Diane: If he is sticking to it properly, that could be right. The first few days is mostly water anyway.

I lost 35 pounds in three months by adhering to it strictly (and painting a house). [​IMG]

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Thanks for the answer, Sue! That seemed like a lot but he's a heavy guy for his height. He's a foot shorter and 15 pounds heavier than Dr. Bob!

I told Erin I thought it could be water. She was sort of worried it was happening too fast. I told her it would slow down so not to let him get discouraged.
    Diane

4. I Am Blessed 24

He will hit some plateaus. Just tell him to hang in there, it will pick up again.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm dating someone who's in the atkins diet (her goal was to lose about 25lbs). The diet, combined with excercise, appears to be working quite well. It makes going out to eat somewhat of a challenge, but not overly inconvenient. Unfortunately, being a bachelor, I end up having to rethink "single folks" food like spaghetti & garlic bread... yum!!!

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think we're all in agreement with ya!!! Where many fail is choosing diet, but not excercising, or (if you're like me) choosing excercising, but not diet.

A proper diet and proper excercise are biblical.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

This 'diet' is going to be VERY hard for our daughter. Erin weighs about 95 lbs. She has a 3 month old that is off the charts weight wise and a soon to be 3 year old who is larger.... Trying to cook for hubby and yet eat right for herself is very difficult but she wants him to lose the weight.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Did he weigh himself at the same time? There are a lot of variables, such as if he's eaten beforehand. When I go to the gym, I weigh in at 185#. When I'm done with my workout, I weigh in at closer to 188#. I finally figured out that I wasn't accounting for the water I drank during my workout.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

On Sunday, he had weighed first thing that morning before eating or drinking anything. Thursday, he weighed himself after breakfast and lunch but had played outside with their oldest.

Diane

10. I Am Blessed 24

Diane, have him buy some pork rinds. They have ZERO carbs and are very good at satisfying that munchy feeling you get when you're hungry.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Thanks! Erin was looking for something for him to snack on! I'll let her know!

Diane

12. I Am Blessed 24

Someone told me (when they were on Atkins)they even made meatloaf with pork rinds instead of crackers, bread, or oatmeal (none of which I can have). I am going to try it. I will let you know how it turns out.

Have your daughter make supper for her hubby according to the carbs, then add potatoes, bread and vegetables for herself.

That's what I do with hubby. I need to lose and he needs to gain. I fix the main entree and eat that and add potatoes, bread, and vegetables for him.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

She asked me what she could do for the meatloaf! I had no idea!

Joe wants things if she has them for herself. He has always had a weight problem but since they've married it's really gotten out of control. His mother has lost over 100 lbs! His older brother lost 45... all on Atkins!

Diane

14. I Am Blessed 24

Well, then she is just going to have to fill up on carbs while he is at work! [​IMG]

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Joe works 4 til midnight so Erin can eat her big and regular meal when he's at work and only make enough for her and the 3 year old. Joe is a massive eater and I don't expect him to succeed. A lunch time sandwich for him was one made on a whole loaf of Italian bread!

He decided to diet after they spent a week with his family on vacation and the mother and brother kept telling him if They could do it, HE could do it too. He's started diets over and over since they've been married.

Diane

16. I Am Blessed 24

Dieting is a hard thing. I hope he makes it this time. Any regimen is hard to stick to when you first start.