1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mel Gibson, The Passion of Jesus Christ, and Baptists

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by andy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

No....I listed it all...

2. cotton

cotton New Member

Thanks AD; someone else emailed me saying this was the fluid sac around the heart; I suppose I got that his heart was pierced from Luke chap 2, where Shimon says to Miriam ...a sword will pierce your own heart also. But that doesn't necessarily mean His heart was pierced.
    Thanks,
    Cotton

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No....I listed it all... </font>[/QUOTE]Then you are mistaken about what Catholics believe, according to the Catholics on here.
    You have to see the humor in this...you as a stated baptist, here trying to tell people the truth about Catholic beliefs and adament that everyone listen, and now disagreeing with Catholics in the process.
    A new belief system is being created...Batholocism. LOL
    Gina
    Gina

4. AdoptedDaughter

Not really, Gina.

Although, if you would like to believe that, that is your right to do so.

However, I am not adament that everyone listen, just that no one says anything false about our Catholic brother and sisters.

5. AdoptedDaughter

You're welcome, cotton.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Teresa, I was told by a catholic here(may have been one baned since I don't see them around, but could be gone for lent too), that they believed in salvation by faith in Jesus on one thread a week later on another thread that one could not go to heaven without following the sacraments. According to them it takes both, neither alone is enough for them to go to heaven. Thats what I was told here by catholics.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sorry double post, seem to be having computer problems again.

8. AdoptedDaughter

Those whom I have talked to are Priests, Seminary Students, and many others very grounded in their faith. These may not have been taught properly.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then maybe next time you should ask them what happens if they do not fulfill the sacramnents. Because every catholic will say they believe in salvation through faith alone in Jesus,and turn around and tell you have to fulfill the sacraments. They all say they beleive in Jesus, but they have the sacraments too. I've had many catholics tell me this, it even came from a priest during my grandmothers funeral.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Donna, I'm starting to think this is more a case of internet Catholicism.
    It happens a lot in religious discussion groups online. By the time all is said and done you'd hardly recognize the religion in real life as opposed to how it was presented online.
    Plus there's the difference in wording. It's kinda like mormonism... "everyone who believes in Jesus is saved".
    Then later... "but I'm saved to a higher degree than you are because I am a member of the "_____" church and have done ________. "
    Then usually much later and in most other belief systems... "you've been told the truth and you denied it, so now you're not saved at all".
    Gina

11. AdoptedDaughter

Catholics use different terminology.

I have just asked a Catholic what you said. The sacraments, they believe, bring us closer to God, like we believe that Bible Study, Prayer, and Communion bring us closer to God.

12. frozencell

frozencell Guest

It originally started as a kind of tribute to a song I really like by a musician, but now I just haven't changed it to make my life simpler since this is also my name on other boards.

13. frozencell

frozencell Guest

AD, I would just like to thank you for your complete Christian attitude and fine example. You are the very essence of "judge not". I appreciate you acknowledging Catholics as more than just a collective heretical mind like the Borg from Star Trek.

On a side note to everyone. The word cult is generally reserved for religions that have sprung up in the very recent past. Mormonism for example. Catholicism is not a cult as it pre-dated almost every other religion in the world.

14. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Today, I passed by a Baptist church with an offer of free tickets to see "The Passion" advertised on its message board. Now, why would a Baptist church (independent, fundamental Baptist at that) give free tickets to see a heretical Roman Catholic film?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

15. frozencell

frozencell Guest

I am very aware that true faith is not blind. It is true, as you state, that the object of CHRISTIAN faith is Jesus Christ the Saviour. Therefore, the object of both Protestant and Catholic faith is the same. We are both Christians.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're trying to get at when you say that other books attest to the crucifixion and then turn around and say that many men have written about the life of Christ using only the Bible. I'm sure both are true and that both can be done, but either way still requires a measure of faith based solely on the subject matter.

Also, teaching someone about the Lord by your perspective would seem difficult. Not everyone shares our faith that the Bible is true and flawless. Many would call the Bible itself a ridiculous mythological story to make us feel better about ourselves (I've heard it!). Still I fail to see what you are trying to get at.

I agree with you.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/DEUTEROS.HTM

This should clear that up for you.

Josephus.....Let's consider the source for a moment.

1. He associated himself with the majority party of Pharisees. The man already seems fishy.

2. Was sent to persuade Galileans to join a revolt against Rome. This doesn't sound like a very godly trait to me. Whatever happened to giving God what is God's and giving Ceaser what is Ceaser's?

3. Characteristically blamed others for his failures. Hmmmmmm.....

I disagree.

All the books were preserved. Luther felt the need to remove them because they didn't fit his religious views.

16. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Because they are being Christian and unjudgmental. And, most importantly, because it really happened.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/406101.htm

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/406504.htm

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

HERE for the resourse

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.traditionalromancatholicism.com/Trentanddesire.html