1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Methodist Candle Light Service

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nicholas25, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I took my cousin to a candle light service at the local First United Methodist Church on Christmas eve because our church didn't have a service. I understand the Methodist denomination is liberal to say the least but I have no problem attending churches that are not Free Will Baptist/Baptist.

Throught the service which was led by the pastor, a pastor from a local Presbyterian church and a pastor from the local Episcopal church, we read back comments or answers to comments or questions of the speakers. Toward the end of the service we read a confession and pardon which said:

Merciful God, we confess that we have not loved you with our whole heart. We have failed to be an obedient church. We have not done your will, we have broken your law, we have rebelled against your love, we have not loved our neighbors, and we have not heard the cry of the needy. Forgive us, we pray. Free us for joyful obedience, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Response from the speaker:
    "Hear the good news:
    Christ died for us while we were yet sinners; that proves God's love toward us. In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven.

We responded: "In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven."

Here is the thing, do you think the people reading the prayer actually thought they were forgiven if they just read the words? Because we know if they were not from the heart they didn't mean anything. Plus there is many more things to ask forgiveness for than the things on the program. Anyway, what do you guys think about this and do you know if the Methodist read back and forth every service or if it's for special services?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ha! Baptists used to do something very similar when I was a kid. We called them responsive readings and they were/still are in the back of the hymnal.

as for your question: How do you know that some who were reading this didn't believe unto salvation because of it?

Many more things to ask forgivness for? And you were able to list all your sins when asking for salvation? I certainly couldn't accomplish this now as a saved person who has a much better idea of sin than someone unsaved. You think God isn't able to forgive me of a sin I can't name/haven't claimed?

What do I think of the reading itself? It is scripturally sound and I have no problem with it at all.

Whether things of this nature happen at every Methodist service or not is a question better asked down in the Other Denominations forum, as we folks are all Baptists and probably don't know!

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not all Methodist pastors are liberal. Some are very conservative and preach the gospel. I know of one who baptizes by immersion and gives an invitation.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is being transferred to a more appropriate forum.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never liked the responsive readings, thought I don’t see anything inherently wrong with them. We occasionally have responsive readings.

I’ve known Methodist churches that were more like traditional Baptist churches, and Baptist churches which are more like liberal Methodist churches. I know you can’t consider a church based on its demoniation.

One thing that concerned me about the Methodist church was a recent incident with my nephew. He attends a Methodist pre-school, and was corrected when it was his turn to pray. He sang “God our Father”, but was corrected and told to pray “God our Creator”, as God is neither male or female. Kinda confusing for a 4 year old.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This is a duplicate thread. I've shared my thoughts in the other one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.