1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Micharl Shiavo Named Distinguished Guardian of the Year

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by carpro, Aug 10, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200508\CUL20050810a.html

Michael Schiavo: 'Distinguished Guardian of the Year'
    By Jeff Johnson
    CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
    August 10, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - The Florida State Guardianship Association has chosen Michael Schiavo as its "Distinguished Guardian of the Year" for 2005, outraging many in the pro-life community. Schiavo is the former husband of Terri Schiavo, the brain-injured Florida woman whose life ended March 31 by court-ordered dehydration at her husband's request.

While admitting that Schiavo was a "controversial choice," Michelle Kenney, president-elect of the association told the Associated Press that her group decided to bestow the honor on Schiavo because of his "commitment" to honoring what he claimed was his wife's wish "not to be kept alive artificially."

"We see a lot of situations where family steps away," Kenney told the AP. "He stuck by. He didn't walk away.""

Joan Nelson Hook, past president of the association, also praised Schiavo.

"He was an ordinary guardian," Hook told the Orlando Sentinel, "who carried out his duties in extraordinary ways."

Accepting the award, Schiavo called himself, "not much of a speechmaker.

"I don't talk much," Schiavo said. "But on behalf of my wife Theresa, I thank you."

<edited title at request of OP member, LE>

[ August 10, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: LadyEagle ]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I suggest this is less about the Schiavo case, and more anout the Florida State Guardianship Association using a media event to bring attention to itself.

The Schiavo sitation is over and done with. We need to let it go. Some groups will invoke the names of Terri Schiavo, her husband, or her parents for quite some time to come if it brings those groups attention (at the cost of the Schiavo's and all involved).

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suspect you are right about the Guardianship Association.

But I am curious about one thing. :confused:

Since your distaste for the subject is so obvious, why did you open it and read it in the first place? Secondly, why bother to reply?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wanted to know what was written in the OP. Is that some kind of sin or something, or is there a BB rule against this???

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Touchy! Touchy!

Like I said, simple curiosity.

Maybe you're right. You "need to let it go". [​IMG]