1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michigan Fall Foliage

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by TennisNE1, Sep 15, 2005.

1. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

My family recently moved to the great state of Michigan. Can anyone tell me some of the "must see" places for color?

Cindy

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Hi Cindy. Welcome to baptistboard forum! Hope you would enjoy with us.

I growing up in Michigan all my life. I love fall foliage in Michigan. The color peak usually reach in my area - Wixom near Novi in the around third week of October.

Strange, three years ago, the color peak did not reach my area till second week of November!!! That was so very late! That was not noraml. I believe it was cause by 'Greenhouse Effect'.

During color peak, I often went to Kensington Park off from I-96 between Brigton and Milford. I enjoy walked around lakes and in the forests, they are beautiful.

Two years ago, my deaf friend from Nashville, Tenn. He flew here to visit me. We drove all way north to Upper Peninsula on October 9-12. Oh boy! It sooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!! [​IMG] We went to Copper Harbor which is locates on north point of the state of Michigan. While we were on the way to Copper Harbor. We drove on highway 41 at the shore between Baraga and L'Anse. We saw Keweenaw Bay. Hard to describe you, what the scene or view looks like while we were droving on highway 41 around the shore. While we drove up north from Iron Mountian on the way to Copper Harbor. As we were approaching Keweenaw Bay, when we were drive west over the hill, then going down toward the shore as it turn north, I saw the hill rise from the shore, the hills are curve around highway 41 as it turns from west to north so sharp. Try my best as I can describe you. When I drove over the hill of highway 41, suddenly I easily saw down toward the shore, two hills divided into great valley as highway 41 turns curve from west to north so very sharp. While I drive curve on highway 41 as I north head north. We looked at Keweenaw Bay. Oh boy! Guess what? I saw hills across over Keweenaw Bay from the side which we drove on the shore. I saw whole hills across Keweenaw Bay, full of hills are cover of color, they are so beautiful! The weather was very nice, clear, very warm temp in 80's on Friday October 9th.

When we get approaching Copper Harbor. We drove under the trees, we were on hills up, down, up, down, like as rollercoaster. While drive on that road, we were went under the trees, like as tunnel. Full of trees are color GOLD!

Then we return back to Copper Harbor for hotel. Next day, we went to Popuricine Mountians. Guess what? Color peak just got PAST so fast! All trees color are dull and lot of leaves falling down on the ground. We went to Popurcine Mountians. We did walked on the trail toward point peak, we looked down the scene of the mountians, most trees color are dark. We walked on the trail through trees, most color are bright gold.

We were lucky, that we just made it on the right time to catch beautiful fall foliage in Upper Peninsula just a day BEFORE color peak got past.

My advice you, better going to Upper Peninsula on the first week of October thru October 10th. So, you don't miss fall foliage up there. Unless depend on weather.

Right now, the weather is so very warm for a long summer time. My feeling that the fall foliage would not reach till very late of October. Remember three years ago, color peak not reach my area till November 13th!!! That was not normal time. Last year, color peak reached my area on the normal time of the fall season around October 17 to 24.

Hope your family might try go north to Upper Peninsula to catch beautiful fall foliage early on the first week of october. And try to book hotel to make reservation it soon as possible. Hope you would enjoy up there.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

DeafPosttrib, thanks for all the wonderful information! I hope to visit the U P in the fall. I can't wait to experience some of what you have described.

Cindy

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always liked the UP area at Tahquamenon [sp] Falls about 45 miles up 123 north of the bridge. Beautiful natural site coupled with the foliage and near Lake Superior. Ah. Memories.

One trip we took the ferry to Mackinac Island and biked around, but it was drizzly and blah with more pines and not the prettiest setting.

Been 30 years and still remember it.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Does Michigan have trees? I would drive to Maine and down the New England Coast.

6. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Saggy....Bless Your Heart [​IMG] [​IMG] :D :D

7. Jamey W.

Jamey W. New Member

The Upper Peninsula is a must to go see the fall colors. I lived in the Keweenaw Peninsula and the colors there were the most beautiful I have ever seen. My mom lives in Sault Ste. Marie, and she always travels the scenic routes in the U.P., they call it the fall color tour. It is awesome!

8. Jamey W.

Jamey W. New Member

9. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Thanks Jamey!! I can't wait to see all the beauty!

Cindy

10. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

TennisNE1,

You better be hurry up, take your family for the tour at Upper Peninsula, the report saying that the color peak is just approaching arrive by around this weekend. The report says, Northern Minnestoa is now fall color peak. The color leaves at Upper Peninsula is changing in process pretty fast already. Do not miss them this weekend.

I remember three years ago, my friend and I went up north. It was so beautiful on day of Friday October 10th. Then next day, guess what? color peak just past so fast.

So, please hurry, and do not miss them this wekeend before too late!

Please tell us, when after you take tour at Upper Peninsula, what do you think of them. Thanks.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!