1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mid-Continent University Update

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Tom Butler, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

When i joined the Mid-Coninent University Board of Trustees ten years ago, the enrolmment was around 170.

I just received the latest enrollment figures from President Robert Imhoff. 1.985.

MCU (located in Mayfield, Kentucky) is a conservative Southern Baptist univrsity, friendly with but not an arm of the Kentucky Baptist Convention.

While some Baptist schools are drifting away from their biblical and Baptist roots, MCU remains solidly committed. The trustees have even included in its by-laws that all courses will be taught from an inerrantist viewpoint.

And each professor has put in writing exactly how the Christian worldview will be incorporated into each course.

The heart of the now-liberal arts university continues to be its Baptist College of the Bible, which trains and educates those called to full-time Christian service or simply to be salt and light in the world.

Although numbers are not always a sign of God's blessing, we still rejoice because God is doing things at MCU that cannot be attributed to anything the MCU leadereship has done. It can only be God's doing.

http://www.mid-continent.edu

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Off-subject, but why is the university in Kentucky? The geographic center of North America is in North Dakota -- specifically 6 miles west of Balta, Pierce County.C'mon Mid-Continent, get it together.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Kentucky is not just the center of this continent, it is the center of the universe. Surely you know that. Nothing important ever happens anywhere without a Kentucky connection.

Tom, I have never been on the Mid-Continent campus but I know it has always enjoyed an excellent academic reputation as well as a reputation for solid conservative values.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't know how the founders arrived at the name Mid-Continent. Maybe it rolled off the tongue a little bit smoother than Nowhere Near Mid-Continent, or Southeast of Mid-Continent University.

Certainly much better than A Long Way From Balta University.

Don't forget, we are across the river from Illinois, where anything outside of Chicago is called Downstate Illinois. Maybe it rubbed off on us.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Zenas, thanks. It's easy for a school to claim academic excellence for itself. It helps when others agree. For instance, MCU's Elementary Teacher Education program is has been ranked around 2nd or 3rd in the entire state by the state of Kentucky for the past few years.

It's also easy for a Baptist School to describe itself as conservative, when it's really not. Every faculty membere in the MCU Batpist Colelge of the Bible is an inerrantist. I'm pretty sure they're all creationist, as well. You want to make some Baptist university or college presidents nervous--ask them how many of their faculty believe in evolution.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the above made me chuckle. Thanks Tom.