1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mid-week services

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paul1611, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Can anyone give me any information on when the mid-week services may have been instituted into our church schedules? I have heard some people try to justify their absence from Wednesday night services by saying we are only commanded to gather together on Sunday. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Paul

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Mor'en likely midweek services started when it became hard for the brethren to meet EVERY DAY, as appeared to be the custom in Acts. 'Taint commanded anywhere that I know of.

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Why would anybody have to justify their absence? Who do they have to justify it to?

4. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

The reasoning behind my post isnt to debate whether or not you should or shouldnt go to mid week services. There are times that I am unable to attend mid week services myself due to my job.
    I simply couldnt find any info on when the mid week services started to become part of our church schedule, and thought somebody else may have some info on it. But to answer your question those who do miss the mid week services for what ever reason do not have to justify their absence. They do not have to justify it to me or anyone else in our church. The reason for my statement is because that is the way that they act. They are the ones that act like they have to "justify" themselves whenever talk about the mid week service comes up. Nobody is accusing them of anything at all. But they get real defensive if the preacher encourages people to make it out to the Wednesday prayer service. Or if the preacher makes a comment like "sure missed you Wednesday, when had a good service". So sorry if my post gave you the wrong impression. Maybe I should have worded it in a different way

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

No, I was just curious. I got a mental picture of a real strict pastor standing by the door ready to smack people if they did not have a Dr. note to excuse their absence last Wed. :laugh:

I will let you get back on topic. Sorry for interupting.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with Mexdeaf, it was started with this modern day generation to account for our busy life. In the old days, christians met daily.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

While we're at it, does anybody know who decided we'd come back on Sunday evening? The same people who decided on Wednesday night, maybe?

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I did do a search last night on the history of midweek services and got a lot of stuff on the history as it dealt with individual churches. There is so much about our history that is obscure. The reasoning mentioned here is probably correct . . .

AND now we have an institution: The Wednesday Night Service.

9. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

MId-week

Concerning myself, the mid week service has never been an inconvenience to me at all. It has always been a blessing to get recharged and refocused in a world that is contrary to the nature of God and the Word of God. We ought not to "forsake the assembling of ourselves together". If some had a chance to go to a football game in the middle of the week, they would. It all boils down to the heart of the person and how important their walk with God is to them. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. The more I hear the more my faith is increased in the promises of God.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We no longer have a Sunday night service. However, my Dad always said he had one for people who worked or otherwise could no make the 11AM service.

11. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Mid week services?

Not sure about the history of mid week services.

My pastor's take on this is to be faithful to the church that you attend.
    Many churches today dont even have Sunday night services. But, if your church has Sunday night and Wednesday night services then you should be present when at all possible. Faithfulness to your own church is what is right.

Right now I noticed a sizable drop off in attendance as many are obviously traveling. Hopefully these families find and attend church while away from their home church. Its such a treat to visit different churchs in far away places and return home feeling renewed both physically and spiritually!

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I heard once but I can't remember the details.
    I googled and googled but couldn't come up with anything to verify

I may look later

13. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

It is so institutionalized that when, a number of years ago, I was a member of a church that had its prayer meeting on Thursday night, it felt vaguely irreverent to go on the "wrong" night!

14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'll be honest...i'm questioning the effectiveness of the traditional Sunday night and Wednesday night services.
    Most people are willing to give 3-4 hours to church during a good week...tops, and by the time we are done with Sunday School and Sunday morning worship, half of that is gone. Perhaps it is time to find a more effective use of that time.

NOW, let me say this...i'm not saying that it is right or wrong for people to not be as devoted to church as they were in the past. But i also know that commitment to church activities is always equal to commitment to a walk with Christ.