1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Huckabee Defends Senator Obama AND Pastor Wright

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 21, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have new found respect for my former governor. :thumbs:

Some excerpts:

"MIKE HUCKABEE: There are two different stories -- one is Obama’s reaction, the other one is the Rev. Wright’s speech itself. And I think that, you know, Obama has handled this about as well as anybody could. And I agree, it’s a very historic speech. I think that it was an important one and one that he had to deliver, and he couldn’t wait. The sooner he made it, maybe the quicker that this becomes less of the issue. Otherwise, it was the only thing that was the issue in his entire campaign. And I thought he handled it very, very well.

And he made the point, and I think it's a valid one, that you can't hold the candidate responsible for everything that people around him may say or do. You just can't -- whether it's me, whether it's Obama, anybody else. But he did distance himself from the very vitriolic statements."

"HUCKABEE: I don't think we know. If this were October, I think it would have a dramatic impact. But it's not October. It's March. And I don't believe that by the time we get to October this is going to be the defining issue of the campaign and the reason that people vote."

"HUCKABEE: And one other thing I think we've got to remember: As easy as it is for those of us who are white to look back and say, "That's a terrible statement," I grew up in a very segregated South, and I think that you have to cut some slack. And I'm going to be probably the only conservative in America who's going to say something like this, but I'm just telling you: We've got to cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told, "You have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie. You have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant. And you can't sit out there with everyone else. There's a separate waiting room in the doctor's office. Here's where you sit on the bus." And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment. And you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had a more, more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me."

- you can watch it here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFLOu8fjxU

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is one time I can definitely say "AMEN!" to Governor Huckabee.

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

What is truth?

On one hand we've been taught, and with some justification, that a person is 'judged' by the company he keeps:
    Most of us have heard the quick wit of our elders who raised us with admonitions like 'it takes one to know one' and 'birds of a feather flock together' and the good books on warning that bad company corrupts good morals: But the Bible also teaches us that the only true and just judge is the maker of absolute law.... Our God.

I think it is wrong that a pastor's speech is judged outside the boundaries of his congregation and community and the events of that day: A pastor's speech should be subject to the rule of the Spirit of God, and, perhaps, the willingness of his congregation to receive it. There are many forms of effective oratory and one is saying something sarcasticly: one is saying something extreme or totally so unexpected and shocking or 'out of character' as to gain attention and wake up sleepers in the pews to think about things more seriously and weigh in with agreement or disagreement or give consideration to different or contrast in thought. Sometimes people may not be aware of how unbalanced their own thought and attitudes are until they 'hear' themselves express it out loud.... or someone else give expression to what they had kept hidden or denied. For a change of attitude to occur there often has to be some kind of confrontation.... which may seem extreme.

I'm not in agreement with Pastor Wright's expression... but I am in agreement with his right to express himself..... and lead his congregation as he is led without public or governmental censor.

The same is true of any speech..... which the government might call 'political' which is expressed from the pulpit.... It is not the government's job to legislate, control, censor, or coerce the expressions of speech or stands taken by a religious body: It is not right, simply because a pastor gets his name in a paper as leading or taking a stand against gay marriage, or abortion, or immorality in leadership, or denoucing public liars, or encouraging support and stewardship of the environment, or denouncing the faith we place in programs and government to properly judge and police environmental protections as superior to the provisions and natural healing which our creator already put in place and his providence in maintaining or restoring balance: It is not right for such publishing to become the content of records kept by the IRS any more than it is right for our own political free speech and public participation to be kept in records so that it might later be brought up and used against us.... if we rub the fur of the powers that be in the wrong way. It is the minister's responsibility to view these relevant issues within the scope of the Bible and to be subject to the Spirit's leading according to the particular needs and balance and admonitions of his flock.

That being said: I think Senator Obama really owed noone an explanation for his minister's speech. I think it would be wrong to vote or not vote for someone based upon the merits of someone else: Or judge them soley based upon the offense or dislike for someone else totally unrelated: That being said, one should give some consideration to the company and advisors which exert influence and promotion into leadership: If such were observed earlier, like in the 1980's, when Reagan was President and the Bushes, the Cheneys, the Rumsfields, etc. were also present..... we might have seen a continuation of influence and leadership which affects us today: If we had foreseen the comraderie which also existed between the Bushes and the Clintons back then.... we might have been more supicious of believing we were voting in 'change' when Clintons occupied the Whitehouse.

In the primaries, most of which are over, we had a large slate of people in both parties with abundance of choices: The primaries are all but ended, and one thing is evident already........ People speak a lot about 'wanting change' but when it comes to the vote.... most do so motivated by the 'majority' or 'the one most likely to win' or the anti-vote of 'the one easiest to beat in the main election' and few really vote for the values they profess and the persons who exhibit a stalwart stand of predictable and internally directed consistancy.

Funny thing is.... we have 'leaders' coming to the forefront of both parties but..... the conventions haven't met yet.... and we are not yet down to the final choices of votes..... But we do have one function which we can be involved in.... and that is defending the right to vote and the accurracy of the vote..... and to support investigations and inquiries as non-partisan but patriotic duty to insure the vote is not miscounted or corrupted. There are already too many allegations which have occurred uncorrected and unanswered since the magnification of the corruption of the 2000 Presidential election, and we do ourselves and our prosperity a disservice if we fail to seize upon the opportunity to insure fair and just elections by the time of this next major election.

Okay..... I'm not for Obama.... but I don't judge him based on his Pastor. I do view him as a racial mix.... as are many of us... (I've some American Indian which some consider 'a race') but whatever race is not an issue regarding ability to lead. If it has a bearing ...... it is on the perceived ability of those who follow and are themselves influenced by race.... but it has nothing to do with his ability to lead. Neither does the popularity of Ron Paul influence within the Republican leadership have anything to do with his ability to lead with a clear understanding of the Constitution and to give clear leadership in returning us to its direction..... But, its US, who determine not the skills of the leader.... but our willingness to accept the wisdom or challenge their leadership.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would have voted for Huckabee if he continued on, but now he has given me pause to doubt his ability to make tough right judgments. Looks like he is pandoring rather than telling it like it is.

Everybody knows Obama is a great speech writer and deliverer. So his speech on race relations was bound to be well thought out.

However, the speech was suppose to be about his involvement for twenty years in an obvious racist toned congregation. He failed miserably at clearing himself from this and did a great job at spinning it into a speech on racism in America.

But did he really need to convince those hard core left supporters, those that he always had even from the very first day this story came out? Not at all. Did you see even one Obama supporter here at the BB take pause at this? The answer is no, they all began an immediate campaign to excuse the relationship.

The voters Obama needed to convince was the independant thinking swing voters. Oh he marveled those in the media who didn't want to report this story in the first place. Chris Matthews appears to be in love with the man and coudn't wait to praise his name. It seems that the swing voters are not giving Obama such an easy pass on this.

I spoke with another democrat today about Obama and she told me that her and two others were talking about this and Obama will not get there vote. This makes seven I have spoken to so far and six are telling me that even though they don't care much for Hillary she will get their vote and one said he might switch to republican and vote for McCain.

Well, to bad Huck gave a whimpy wishy washy answer to this. It sure knocked him down a few notches in my book.

God Bless! :thumbs:

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay, KenH is posting Dem party line talking points AND says something favorable about Mike Huckabee? Now I KNOW someone has co-opted Ken's screen name :smilewinkgrin:

6. Magnetic Poles

Funny, but I have found Ken to be a logical, rational thinker who is capable, unlike many, to see the many sides of issues; the multi-faceted nature of problems, not adhering to the flaw of binary thinking. The world is full of shades of gray, and Ken has proven himself quite astute at observing and commenting on them. I don't always agree with him, but I, as they say, gotta "give him his props".

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I was not taking a shot at Ken. I was trying to be funny. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Magnetic Poles

No, I know that. I got it. :thumbs: I was just givin' Ken a pat on the back. I think he's been beat up a bit lately.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed....which is why I was trying to be light hearted.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's Huckabee's angle? He's lost the nomination, so what's he going for now?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It looks like Huck was slipped some of that koolaid the countrys been hooked on. He has been star struck as well I guess. He has nothing to gain by supporting Obama's excuses for racism in his church.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe there is no angle. Maybe he was simply being a decent human being. After all, he did used to be a preacher. Preachers are supposed to be decent human beings.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well all people are called to be decent human beings. Preachers are called to preach the truth. Huck either has poor judgment of character, has been decieved, or is trying to gain something personal . Whatever the case, Huck has lost some respect among us who press for the truth to be told.

God Bless! :jesus:

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My, my. As long as Mike Huckabee agreed with you he was wonderful. Once he disagrees with you he is an awful person.

Face it, steaver, you are no different than the rest of us poor sinners when it comes to politics.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether that's true probably depends on who it is doing the supposing.

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He is not an awful person, but when someone does something that goes against the truth I will point it out.

I am a sinner saved by grace just like all Christians. However, I do not seperate my relationship with Christ from my politics. I measure a candidate to God's word and do not give passes just because they say something that makes my flesh feel all warm and fuzzy.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be accurate, steaver, you should have written, "I measure a candidate to my interpretation of God's word".

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would be inaccurate.

This is how people attempt to dodge God's Word. Every sentence written in God's Word can be independantly interpreted to dismiss bad behavior by those who look for a reason to sin. But God's Word taken as face value and allowing scripture to interpret scripture is ...

Hbr 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I apply God's word to every part of my life as it tells me to do. I do not seperate my life with Christ from my life with politics or anything else because God tells me not to.

God Bless! :praying:

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Correct, truth as they see the truth. I believe Rev Wright believed what he was saying was truth. It is not fair to see a preacher didn't preach the truth as I see it, he must preach the truth as he see's it.

I've heard Huck's view from several Republicans who were wondering if McCain was the man for the job. I guess many american's believe freedom of speech also implies freedom to listen. I don't have to believe everthing I hear but others are allowed to express their view.

#19 LeBuick, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That's exactly right Ken, and we see that so much around here. Everyone get's judged against the Word "AS I SEE IT" with no consideration that others may see that same Word a little different. :thumbs: