1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Pence Lost the Debate Because He Lied About the Wrong Stuff

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Mike Pence’s cool-headed performance on Tuesday night’s debate stage has Republicans wistful that the Indiana governor is not their nominee and hopeful that Pence’s prowess will rub off on Donald Trump before Sunday’s crucial rematch with Hillary Clinton,” reported Politico’s Ben Schreckinger. “More disciplined than Trump, and with a baritone voice that evoked a sense of seriousness, Pence battled back,” observed the Washington Post’s Dan Balz.

One might complain with the voters for prioritizing surface appearance over substance. One might also complain with the news media for internalizing voters’ superficiality and feeding it back to them as theater criticism rather than sorting out the underlying claims. But the fact remains that the rules are the rules, and as they exist, there is usually little penalty for lying incessantly as long as you do it with proper body language and a reassuringly manly baritone.

There is, however, an exception to that rule: You should not lie about things that can be easily disproven with short video clips. So, if Pence had simply insisted that Donald Trump’s tax plan would balance the budget and mostly help the middle class, and that he would allow coal plants to spring up everywhere without impacting the climate, and that his plan would crack down on Wall Street, he’d have walked away the undisputed winner. Instead, Pence claimed over and over again that his running mate had never said the things that Tim Kaine was quoting verbatim. It was all too easy for the Hillary Clinton campaign to respond with this devastating video:

The way debates work is that they play out over time, with an initial impression usually overwhelmed by subsequent messages rippling through the media. In this case, whatever small gains Pence made are likely to be canceled out by days of him looking ridiculous. Lying: It usually works! But not always.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...te-because-he-lied-about-the-wrong-stuff.html

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Not to mention all the lies he told. Did I read right where the fact checkers said that he lied about 70% of the stuff he said, our did I just think I heard that?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the RIGHT stuff to lie about?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pence with a resounding victory against a shrill loud mouthed know nothing Kaine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk