1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Militant Atheism Alive and Well in the "Bible Belt"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by quantumfaith, Jan 4, 2011.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yes. Amen. Thank you. Most of the soul winners I know are just plain old fellows filled with Gods Spirit and His Word. And humility.

:thumbsup:

2. preacher4truth

Exactly.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wavey:

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

AMEN Q-Faith, very well said. As an Apologist I agree we must strive to have an influence in our educational systems since they are controlled the most part by Secular Humanists. I either heard or read William L. Craig make a strong case for this some time ago. He is encouraging our young Christians to go after PHD's and to enter into the Colleges and Universities to confront the one-sided worldview that is promoted in schools today.

I do agree with other posters in here that say the Gospel is what is important but our doctrines on the Gospel must be defended or our worldview will become very marginalized. Paul was probably the greatest apologist of all time and he always defended the Gospel with gentleness and respect, and that is something I lack to see from many posters on this forum in conversing with fellow believers and it saddens me.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I reacted to what you wrote. You seemed to indicate that Paul "knew nothing" except the Gospel, and that is patently false. He often used that phrase as an idiom (figure of speech) to illustrate the critical importance of the gospel, but that never negated his prior learning, nor his continued learning. In 2 Timothy, he even asks for his books...

And, like I should assume that you know all this stuff about Paul, I would think that you would also assume that I have read Acts... :thumbsup: Perhaps even in the original language... :laugh:

Also, as an FYI, when I said that Paul gave us the first gospel, that was because his writings were the first by far in the New Testament. We are both right on this issue depending on vantage point. Peter preached it first at Pentecost, the Apostles practiced it every day in Jerusalem, and Paul first wrote it into the Word for the rest of the time.

6. preacher4truth

No, you reacted to what you thought I wrote. :)

Sometimes people want to say something negative, and thinking that their saying it makes it true in the minds of the cursory observer, then others jump in blindly and believe it. So I dodge bullets from you here and there. :laugh:

You're typically assuming the worst as is usual, seeing most as only religious, mormon, pelagian, semi-pelagian, uneducated, legalistic, and other on here in many of your threads. But I know you do it out of love.

Lighten up Francis, we aint all Harold Ticcs!

(You remember that line don't ya?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

I'm glad we agreed on one thing. I'm off to read Scripture in the original!

I still lubz ya man!!!! :love2:

(Hey, watcha think of our baby lamb in my avatar? Cute huh?)

#26 preacher4truth, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm trying not to think the worst, but I find that sometimes guys write stuff "around" a thought that they are carrying in their heads, and what gets put in printed form is incomplete enough to trigger reactions.

Know that I don't take this forum stuff personally, and I seldom, if ever attack. I will not hesitate to point out something that I think is flawed, and in theological discussions, why is it wrong to suggest that a certain thought matches that of some other vantage point. Note that when I do that, I am not saying, "You are a Mormon" (or otherwise). I am arguing the point, and giving input as to whom else holds that point. That distinction seems to get lost in traffic around here.

My general take on this forum activity is that I wish to know, as best I can, the point of view of the person I am debating so that I can represent their views as accurately as possible. To do anything other is to begin to do the work of the enemy, who is the father of lies and the accuser of the brethren. I don't have to make up stuff about people. I do glean impressions about beliefs from what people write, then comment on their POINTS (and rarely about them). I am not immune to making a personal comment from time-to-time, as you just saw... Nor do I think that others won't do likewise. In fact, the ratio is probably about 100:1 with comments coming against me for being a heretical "cal" than what I've dished out. I really do try to be fair and speak the truth in love here on the board.

In any case, we're good... :wavey:

And, yes, your avatar picture is adorable!

8. preacher4truth

Hey bro, don't read too much into all of it. You do it often. Did you watch the link? It's hilarious!!!

Yeah, thanks. She'll be 1 yr. old Saturday. She's a beauty and already a Daddys girl.

God waited to give her to us when I'm 46, so I can be her Dad, and Gramps.

And God did it while on preventive measures, and we didn't know til 6 months along! :laugh:

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'll check out the link later. Too late for me to make noise. It's after midnight on my side of the world.

About the posts, I read what is there. I can't know what isn't written. I read for a living, and critical reading is part of what I do, so it bleeds off into the threads. In my sideline business, I edit and format doctoral dissertations for seminary students, and I am accustomed to diagnosing theological arguments at a high level. The comments come naturally, but I do try to make them relative to the points made, and not often to the person (unless someone does something REALLY stupid, then I figure, that as a brother in the Lord, I am duty bound to be my brother's keeper and at least say something).

I'm also a tad older than you, but we had our own kiddos early, so I have a couple of adorable grandkids. Saw them today. They come over to the seminary to have lunch a time or two a week.

10. preacher4truth

That's cool bro. Hey, watch it sometime for a good laugh.