1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Military Headgear

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Adonia, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Napolean.JPG I have always been intrigued by some of the military headgear from the past, many of which seemed totally impractical. The Napoleonic era certainly could lay claim to having some of the worst of all time, and I was surprised to find that the hats of that period could actually be useful as the illustration shows. It's even the perfect height!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neat. I've always been intrigued by Zouaves.
    [​IMG]

3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, those red pantaloons, red caps and white foot coverings were sure sharp looking. Their great advantage was that they made easier targets for their adversaries against a green brush background.

Private to Sergeant: "Hey Captain, don't you think it would be better if we wore a dark green outfit"?

Sergeant to Private: "Quit your bellyaching and wear what you are told, we know what is best for you"!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're about forty years too early in this observation. Linear battle formations were still state of the art. Light Infantry, like those picture in post 1, wore dark green uniforms. I believe the rifleman pictured is in the British Army's 95th Rifles aka the Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) during the Napoleonic Wars.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is that what they issued you?

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in the 60th (King's Royal Rifle Corps) Regiment of Foot.

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, 1st US Sharpshooters, hunter green wool uniforms, and buttons made from Goodyear rubber, iirc.

8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, you have it right! The illustration does indeed show men from the British 95th Infantry, one of the first "Special Units" ever employed by a "modern" army and using different battlefield tactics. They were armed with the Baker Rifle, a firearm with a grooved barrel, a true rifle, and not the smoothbore "Brown Bess" musket then in common usage by the average soldier.

9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ummm, did you use muskets or rifles? (LOL) I know the British Army from back then was well respected, but those red uniforms were dumb, really dumb!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ERRm, the KRRC is one of the Green Jacket regiments. So, it was armed with the Baker.

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ugh, don't talk about the Brown Bess. I somehow ended up on the 2nd North Carolina Regiment of the Continental Line webage the other day. I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head, but man, it was intriguing .

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When you think of soldiering from back then, man were those guys brave. They lined up shoulder to shoulder in rows and marched across open fields right into grape shot cannon fire and massed musket volley's from the defending force. Unbelievable!

Private to Sergeant: "Don't you think that we should attack in little groups of men using all available cover to attack the enemy? A small force attacking in the center, with others detailed to close in on either flank who would then fire their weapons and close with the bayonet?"

Sergeant to Private: "Quit your bellyaching and do what you are told! We know which is the best way to attack the enemy".

#12 Adonia, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adonia, you're being very ahistorical. The tactics you are championing only became feasible with the advent of rifles and in particular repeating rifles (the Henry or even better the 1876 Winchester). No, I didn't forget the Spencer. But, linear tactics wouldn't become totally obsolete until two-way radios made it down to at least the company if not the platoon level. IIRC, The lack of radios in each of the tanks was an Achilles heel for the French armored forces in WW2. IIRC, the Germans did have radios in each of their tanks.

14. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know - I was joking. Our Civil War starting in 1860 kept up the practice.

But actually, like we saw with the 95th Rifles at least the some of the tactics were slowly changing. Men of the 95th would take position behind cover and fire on the enemy. And let's not forget the first battle of the American Revolutionary War in 1776 where as the British soldiers attempted their retreat back to Boston, the Patriots fired at them from behind trees and other forms of cover.

If I remember right, British reports from that action thought such tactics removed from the norms of civilized warfare and didn't like them one bit. The Patriots did suffer a bit however because once their only shot was fired, the British soldiers in many instances closed with the bayonet.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you're projecting 20th and 21st-century battle conditions on to the 18th and early 19th centuries. Think for a moment, you're commanding troops in a battle of that era. You:
    • have fog created by the black powder used in the muskets and artillery.
    • have only a telescope (of varying quality) to view the battlefield.
    • don't have radio or telephone communications.
    How do you tell if the troops coming up on your right flank are friend or foe? By the color of the uniforms worn. The color on the facings tells you what regiment of your own forces you are seeing.

16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is certainly sound reasoning during set piece large battle situations and I had not thought of those reasons before. Still not good though when let's say smaller groups of soldiers were moving through a forest like here in North America as British troops normally did during the 1700's. Red uniforms against green foliage does not allow for unseen or stealthy movement, and it really boggles my mind that the powers that be in those days could not understand that.

17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stealth isn't that important when you're massed together, regiment firing on regiment.

Riflemen picking off the enemy is certainly a national fantasy, but the equipment of the times made that strategy less than effective. A colonial rifle is only going to be able to fire off 2, maybe 3 shots before it needs to be thoroughly cleaned. If not, you won't be able to load another round.

So overbored was the norm, accuracy being traded for speed in loading. A company of men acted as a big, living shotgun, so to speak. Able to mass fire and hold ground, while sharpshooters were more suited for harassment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The turning point for the Continental Army was the training implemented by Baron von Steuben. You're thinking of the Braddock debacle of 1755. With von Steuben's training the Continentals began to stand up to the British Regulars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, the Braddock expedition - now that was a monumental trek, building that road from the Hagerstown, Md. area all the way to Pittsburg, Pa. But those "red coats" also were a handicap in other areas of Eastern North America like Northern New York State, especially the areas along the Hudson River from NYC to the Canadian border. The British had forts all along there, places like Fort Edward, Fort Ticonderoga, placed to control the area and the Hudson River and Lake Champlain.

The area has a very interesting history from the 1700's, like massacre's of settlers by the Indians etc. Now we drive through the place at 60 mph, safe and snug in our cars, but it was truly a different experience back then. Have you ever seen the movie "The last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis? That was all about what happened in that area of the country.

#19 Adonia, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  20. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.