1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minimum Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

I know that we are not one of the liturgical churches!

I know that no one can tell a local Baptist church what to do!

I know no one can dictate that a God called minister must have some level of formal education!

But, having said all of the above; I will probably show my educational snobbery by saying:

I think some minimum level of education should be REQUIRED like the Methodists and Presbyterians and such before one is ordained, allowed to preach vocationally, allowed to preach as an evangelist, or lead out in any professional way in ministry!

Whatdayathinkaboutthat?

sdg!

rd

2. nate

nate New Member

I agree completely!

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Rhet, I wholeheartedly agree. Completing an education speaks volumes about a person's ability to make a commitment and follw through, not to mention a person's desire to equip himself for the task God puts before him.

Of course, I have no authority to require that of all others as a matter of scriptural doctrine. So it's strictly my opinion and preference.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hi Rhet,

Obviously, since we are congregationalists, there is no hierarchy which can impose a minimal level of training. Consequently, and you imply as much, such is left to individual congregations.

Many Baptist congregations set the MDiv as the minimum training. I don't think this is wise (and you know how much I esteem a good education!. One can achieve an MDiv and remain deficient in understanding the Scriptures and how they apply to individuals' lives. Also, an older man recently graduated with a BA in Bible may be better trained than some of our younger MDiv grads.

While a part of me would love to see some sort of across-the-board minimum level of education, I wonder if the cure may be worse than the illness.

Bill

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhet, I disagree with an approach that requires more or less than God requires. I think the standard one must meet is found in I Timothy 3:2 -

To set the requirement as to how one becomes "able to teach" rather than being "able to teach" misses the mark, in my opinion. It is a real shame, though, that many congregations lack the discernment to know whether bishops/pastors are able to teach.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

As I have stated on the other thread; as long as the person is listening to God and doing what He says to do.

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I find it disturbing to be compared to those other denominations. They have some very liberal views on somethings. But I see many Baptists that desire some of those same things.

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    buckster75,

As Broadus said above and all of us know, we are congregationalists; and no one can dictate what a preacher needs to be or have except the local assembly. I am not wanting to make us like the presbyterians or methodists.

But, I will say this: when one of our unlearned Baptist pastors meets at the local ministers alliance, he sure takes a chance to have his unlearned condition exposed.

As has been argued and argued again and again on the BB; why should the one with the highest calling be satisfied with the least amount of training and education? And should God's people be satisfied with one who glories or is satisfied with his present state of ignorance?

I was only trying to get us to understand that there is rabid brain death and ignorance in some pulpits. Some, not all, think that they have "really preached," or "given it to them," when they have "stomped and snorted." And unfortunately, many congregations think that "loud" is really hearing from the Lord when it is only loud!

Also deferring to my colleague Broadus' observations, some assemblies have seen the need to write into the job descriptions of the pulpit minister the requirement for some level of formal education. I guess he has expressed the point as well as it could be said.

sdg!

rd

9. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Let's also remember that having a piece of paper on your wall is NOT egual to having an education. BTW..my understanding was that Methodists do have non seminary trained pastors as I know the PCUSA now allows non seminary trained pastors.

There are 2 extremes to avoid. One is to disdain Seminary education (Something all too common with Baptists in the past) and the other to make it mandantory which as rlvaughn shows, goes beyound scripture and seems to be a professionalizing the ministry. To make it a requirement is adding a requirement Scripture itself does not require. Education is not something done in 3-5 years but takes a life time.

10. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Though I have an education, and am continuing to further my education, I find it ammusing that we would base a persons ability to be an effective minister on the time he has spent in books. I hope we would base it on the call of God and the time he has spent in THE BOOK! For some reason Spurgeon and Moody come to mind.

Max

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor MHG,

What you have said is more true than we know. I think that a commitment to education is a sign of a deeper commitment to personal excellence in the "call to minister."

One of the arguements normally made is to sight those who are the extremely outstanding ones like Spurgeon and Moody. The ones you sight both started outstanding educational institutions, did they not?

They also worked feverishly at their craft all of their lives. They would probably have been excellent and very used of our Lord w/or w/o any formal education. But, they both sacrificed in order that others would not be ignorant ministers.

These two, IMHO, are two that you have used, although inadvertently, to make and to stress my OP above.

I know of two or three; who, in my life were naturally endowed by our Lord. They were outstanding. They have done great things w/o a high level of formal education. But, my arguement is that they could have been so much better sooner had they "sharpened their tools" in some "school of the prophets."

No offense intended on any level. And, I personally know that I may have slipped into an educational snobbery mode without having meant to do so.

sdg!

rd

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Kiffen:

"professionalizing the ministry" This is the trend I see. Well said.

13. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I think this statement combinded with the name he chose for himself is probably all I need to know about Rhetorician.

14. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

No offense taken. I actually agree with you. However, I felt it necessary to at least point out the exceptions.

Max

15. Broadus

Broadus Member

I think this statement combinded with the name he chose for himself is probably all I need to know about Rhetorician. </font>[/QUOTE]Ray,

I trust you're just joking. ;)

You're new to the Board, but you'll find Rhet likes to spur thinking and not allow us to think we already know it all, a particular failing of Baptists.

Bill

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not understand why would one want to base a lifetime of ministry upon a puddle of knowledge from which to draw.

Even in the business I was in I see many mistakes made because people do not understand the basics. I was paid big bucks to fix mistakes and by others because they knew I had the knowledge and experience to do the job right. That sort of thing gave me great job satisfaction. It also gave me entry to many people's live because they apppreciated what I could do for them. It gave me credibility. Once they knew theh kind of person I was I could talk with them about Christ. People who make mistakes anger their customers rather than establish trust and credibility.

Ignorance never establishes trust.

Everyday I think about how fortunate I am to have the training I have and thank God for those people who trained me. I am rewarded with the satisfaction of a job well done and financially. When I was in business I was also thanked by my customers.

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus,

Thank you for the vote of confidence and the compliment. Coming from you, I take that as a high state of praise indeed!

sdg!

rd

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

gb93433
    I know you did not mean to do this.
    You just called the Bible a puddle of knowledge.
    Many a pastor has only the sacred Word of God and many people around the world have came to know Salvation from what you just called a puddle of knowledge.

God forgive!

19. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    buckster75,

I think you probably misunderstood gb93433.

Knowing him from his past post, I think he probably meant the "puddle of knowledge" that the individual would have PERSONALLY. I do not b/l for a moment he meant to equate "Biblical knowledge" with the metaphor of "puddle of knowledge."

Is my reading of your text correct gb93433?

Help me out here!

sdg!

rd

20. buckster75

buckster75 Member

" quote:Originally posted by Rhetorician:

But, I will say this: when one of our unlearned Baptist pastors meets at the local ministers alliance, he sure takes a chance to have his unlearned condition exposed.

I do not understand why would one want to base a lifetime of ministry upon a puddle of knowledge from which to draw."

These same people I speak of most likely would have there unlearned condition exposed. by a bunch of snobs lording their education ove the humble servants of God who are just doing what God called them to do . Reach the lost. And they are able to do it with only their "puddle of knowledge" the less educated call God's Word.