1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minimum wage

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by seekingthetruth, May 17, 2012.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Minimum wage only aids or helps the persons who are poor producers and don't carry their own weight. In 1960 i Wen't to work for $1.50 an hour after 1week my supervisor came to me with, " i have good news for you, we are going to raise you to $100 a week or 7 percent comm". I took the comm and made $1600 the next month 4 times the salary offered.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a driving instructor, I would often get talking to the kids about politics - and the subject of the minimum wage would often come up. Of course - they were all for it, especially if they were only getting the minimum.

Well, this is what I would tell them.

"Suppose you started a job today at $5 per hour. After 3 months of work, the boss ups your pay to $5.25. After another 6 months your pay is increased to $5.75. On the first anniversary of your job, you are promoted to afternoon shift assistant manager. Your pay is now $6.25.
    All of a sudden the minimum is raised to $6.50. "
    "Well thats great" says the student. I continue "Well, one of the workers quit - you have to hire a brand new employee - and you have to train them. How much will he get paid?"
    The student says "Well, $6.50" - "But" I respond "isn't that what you are now making?" and Susan replies "You are right and thats not fair!" Susan has just passed Economics 101

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Take on the Minimum Wage....

...whatever it is, it remains insulting to those who are forced to work more than one job to ( put a roof over their head, feed their kids, and maybe buy a Bic Mac and split it four ways to feed the wife and two kids.

The MW is ridiculous, and welfare is often a better choice...that is sad!

#23 righteousdude2, May 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Bill, the point here flies over your head like a UFO.

If the minimum wage were raised to $100/hr, then prices would increase and $100/hr would be the new poverty level.

:BangHead:

John

5. seekingthetruth

Amen!:thumbs::thumbs:

6. seekingthetruth

And exactly how much experience do you have in the work force?

Arent you just a child?

John

7. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

One does not need experience in the work force to understand it, just a good study and the eye-witness accounts of someone who does, such as my grandparents and great-grandparents in addition to other people.

Also, I'm 19 years old.

8. seekingthetruth

19?

The immaturity of your posts proved that you were quite young....but I had no idea you were THAT young.

You are too young to know what "One does not need"

John

#28 seekingthetruth, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  9. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

The bare necessities of life are food, water, oxygen, and shelter. One does not need a house, a car, a telephone, a computer, ect.

And besides, knowledge is a blessing from the Lord, not necessarily a blessing of age.

10. seekingthetruth

Ok Einstien

You live without those things in your imaginary commune/cult you call Haveten and see how long it takes you to come back to reality.

BTW, who told you that you were 'blessed with knowledge'?

John

11. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

Back to the topic at hand.

Minimum wage can provide a hedge against slave labor, yes. But left to it's own accord without restrictions, it can cause havoc on a nation.

One possible way to compensate for this threat is to set a maximum minimum wage, however, if the maximum is permanently set, then this too can cause problems. if it's set too high, it is almost as bad as if it where a free range minimum wage. If it's too low, it can cause people to migrate to other nations that have a higher minimum wage and similar freedoms and such.

Alternately, you could set an adjustable equation system for minimum wage. while such a system is adjustable, well-defined, and less likely to be corruptible, creating such a system is complicated to create, and would be quite hard to nearly imposable for an existing nation to switch to. In order to test this, one would either need to build a simulation or find a new or relatively young nation to test this system

12. seekingthetruth

Say what?

Are you smoking some of that Arkansas skunk weed?

And what slavery? A job is voluntary, no one is forced to have one so it is not slavery....even if i agree to work for 50 cents an hour, it is still my choice.

Teenage idealology is based on the lack of knowledge, not the excess of it as you claim to have.

You should just concentrate on respecting your elders, and doing what you are told.

"adjustable equation system" indeed.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

John

13. billwald

billwald New Member

It's a free country. Everyone is free to starve, dumpster dive, and sleep in an alley (in many jurisdictions). 19th century, here we come.

14. targus

targus New Member

If the minimum wage were tripled tomorrow...

How much should the average union wage go up as a result?

15. seekingthetruth

See? That is the problem. I was a welder and steel fitter for over 35 years. When I started I made $16 to $20/hr and minimum wage was $2.60/hr.

Today minimum wage is $7.50/hr and it is hard to find a welding job that pays as much as $16/hr.

Even though the wages of skilled workers have remained stagnant, the minimum wage has raised the cost of living and made $16 worth less and less.

If I agree to work for $2/hr, it should be between me and my employer, and the government should stay out of it.

John

16. targus

targus New Member

Shhhh....

I'm trying to see if billwald gets it.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the min. wage rises, so does the # of unemployed entry level workers.
    Ergo, when one of these unemployed later interviews for another job, there is no "experience" to offer as an incentive for being hired.

Liberals have an obvious habit of looking at a DESIRED(?) outcome and not reality; IOW, unintended consequences.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sometimes we do agree, as in this case. I just finished a retraining program because of health, a two year program, and I just got hired at a hospital in their accounting department for $10 an hour. I was grateful for that, because they could have started me off at 8.87 an hour. You should get paid what an open an free market will bring.

My maximum earning power was probably more than double that, but I am no longer able to do that skill. This world does not owe us anything, we have to make ourselves useful to earn a living.

19. billwald

billwald New Member

Seeking is not a union welder?

20. targus

targus New Member

Hoping that you will give an answer.

If the minimum wage tripled tomorrow...

How much should the average union wage go up as a result?