1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ministry Covenant?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by annsni, Apr 26, 2007.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was just wondering if any of you have any kind of "ministry covenant" that you have people sign when they join your staff? Any kind of "rules" that they need to abide or anything? Just curious.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No roller skating in the church hallways
    per Dr. Mark Sloan

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Party pooper!! ;)

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I signed one when I began as pastor at my church 4+ years ago. The Deacon Chm. signed representing the vote of the church family stating their desire of entering the covenant relationsihp. It was more or less an agreement that I would do certain things (relating to the ministry here) and the church would do certain things (care and feeding of the pastor and family).

Nothing was mentioned about roller skating in the hallways, but I believe that there was something about bunji-jumping from the balcony in the Sanctuary.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think churches have really lost their sense of adventure. LOL!

Now, do YOU have anything for your employees/volunteers to sign?

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. Our employees (all three of them - all part time) have job descriptions, and they do sign that they have read them. They also each get an annual job review. I am the first pastor that they have had this type of covenant or agreement with.

None of our volunteers sign any kind of agreement, but that is something to think about.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was just asking because we just instituted a "covenant" for employees and volunteers after we had an incident with an employee doing something illegal - and then arguing about getting fired. It was decided that a contract or covenant would b a good thing - just basically saying that we abide by the rules and authority of the church and accept their decisions if we end up being laid off/released from responsibility. It talks about giving up some liberties that might dishonor the Lord and possibly cause a brother/sister to stumble. Since it's a new thing, I was wondering if other churches did this. I think it's a good idea - not that just anyone can do the jobs at the church but that there's a standard that we must uphold if we represent the church. I know my daughters, who are in a young girls' tambourine worship group had to sign something similar because they are looked up to a LOT by the younger girls (the girls in the group are from 12-17) and if they're doing something that's wrong, then the younger girls will think it's right. So, that's my purpose in asking. Thanks to those who have responded!

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Focus on the Family's Pastoral Ministries wing has a pastoral covenant that pastors can make with their churches based on the acronym "GRACE"...you can check that out if you are interested in some sort of pastoral covenant as a starting point.