1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ministry for animals

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by massdak, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You're reading a meaning into it that is not there. The person asking did not say they were called to be an animal rights advocate, you used those words.

Besides, I think there is a false dichotomoy going on -- one can do work of rescuing/helping animals and still serve God. Does everyone on this list always put serving God before every single thing they do all the time? So why demand it of someone who feels God is calling them to help animals. Why can't they help animals and serve God? I think they can.

2. ituttut

ituttut New Member

But we read that man fell from Grace. Things were not the same, and when we get to Noah we see things have changed somewhat after the flood.

Animals to be sacrificed were brought in 4’s. Two were slaughtered for sacrifice, and two for reproduction to be eaten by humans, or whatever use they may find for them, and fear of man was placed into every animal. We can't find where God gave authority to humans to eat flesh until after the flood.

These are truly now under our control and domination to do with as we wish. Those that wish to worship them are free to do so, but some of us know better, and know what God told us. If we want to slaughter them to be eaten, make coats from them, furs, belts, boots, hats and you name it, we have the blessing of God. Many normal people have animals as pets and as responsible humans they endeavor to fed and take care of them, but to lift them up and demand they have the same rights as humans is ludicrous. This is not what God had in mind. Christian faith, ituttut.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So because of the Fall and the Flood, God's desire for us to steward His creation is nullified? That is like saying because we are sinners, we should go on disobeying God's commands.

I don't think so. The Fall just means that our job as stewards of creation is more difficult.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

QUOTE]Originally posted by Marcia:
    Turn that around to “Serve God, and help animals if time is left”. But the person in question, and your putting the animals first and God second, is what I object to. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

So because of the Fall and the Flood, God's desire for us to steward His creation is nullified? That is like saying because we are sinners, we should go on disobeying God's commands.

I don't think so. The Fall just means that our job as stewards of creation is more difficult.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Gold Dragon,

If anyone hasn’t noticed this world is going down in flames. This world and all in it are doomed and is dysfunctional until that time. I am one of those saved by His grace through the faith of Jesus Christ. And I just can’t find a message of “save the animals” in His Word.

“Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.” This command has never been rescinded by God. “All on the earth is delivered into mans hands.” “Don’t eat blood”. The death sentence has never been rescinded by God, but man now knows we are to wake up and do away with the death sentence for we are not to believe God - “Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man”, and Nations and Government have this right. We are to use common sense and not over do things. Did God put the trees here just to look at? Did God put the animals here to be pampered? He tells us where gold is, so we know mining is OK. Drilling for oil. It is there for a purpose. Are we to refuse what God has provided?

In reading His Word, I just happen to view things differently than many. I actually believe all this stuff God says to us. Christian faith, ituttut

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For some reason, "stewarding creation" means to you "pamper", "just look at", "refuse to use".

I don't know if you are a pastor but let's pretend you are and that you have a sense of stewardship towards your church. Does that mean you are to pamper the members, just look at them, refuse to use and push them to do God's work? No.

However, does that then mean you should beat them into submission, view them as pawns for your purposes and abuse them to get what you want? No.

God gave us dominion or stewardship over all of his creation. We are not to worship it. But we are also not to abuse it. We are to care for it, help it grow and thrive and fulfill God's purposes for it. Some of those purposes are to be used (not abused) for human benefit.

Another thing about the Fall. Christ's death was not just to reconcile us to him, but also to reconcile all of creation.

Evangelical Environmental Network : FAQ
    Evangelical Environmental Network : Scripture

7. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The two common reactions of evangelical Christians to creation stewardship.

8. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

We have a dog that lives in our house, and she is treated so well that she doesn't even realize she's a dog. We understand that she is just a dog, but she is an important part of our lives, and I think most people who have pets feel pretty strongly about them.

What an awesome tool to use to open doors to share Christ with animal owners. Can God call someone into nursing so that people will encounter Christ when they're sick? Can God call someone into law so that people will encounter a Christian when they need a lawyer? Of course he can. And it's just like God to be creative enough to equip one of his to care for animals so that when animal owners need help, they meet Christ when they meet the caregiver.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 9:1 So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. 2And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs."

Now, ANIMAL HUSBANDRY is an ability given by God to some people, but we must not forget that this is for the benefit of PEOPLE, and not necessarily for the animals. While I believe we are free to use animals for our benefit, I also believe cruelty to man or beast is wrong.

It may sound strange, hearing this from a HUNTER who's busted caps on many an animal, but there's a difference in cleanly killing and deliberately inflicting torture and suffering, or neglect. Same with people. We may hafta kill another person in self-defense, battle, or in a state-ordered penalty for a crime, but that's different from deliberate abuse or neglect.

Whether or not people used animals for food, etc. before the flood is moot.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi robycop3.

As a Christian hunter, how would you define over-hunting?

And also, do you insist on your kill being used as human food?

Having never hunted, I've never had to consider the ethical and biblical considerations of hunting.

I would also say that hunting not for sustinance can be considered good stewardship in some cases. An example would be when the natural predator of an animal population is extinct or rare and overpopulation of the species being hunted is a real danger to the population, bringing disease to both animals and humans.

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Gold Dragon: For some reason, "stewarding creation" means to you "pamper", "just look at", "refuse to use".

I don't know if you are a pastor but let's pretend you are and that you have a sense of stewardship towards your church. Does that mean you are to pamper the members, just look at them, refuse to use and push them to do God's work? No.

I do not equate people with animals.

However, does that then mean you should beat them into submission, view them as pawns for your purposes and abuse them to get what you want? No.

Where do you see I am “cruel” to animals. Why is it that all “animal lovers” believe all persons that do not believe as they “beat” and kill” their animals? We are to respect the blood of men, and not of the animals. Blood is precious in the sight of God, but not all blood. We are not to eat any blood of humans or animals, but can we find in scripture that the animal is made in the image of God, and we are not to shed the blood of animals?

God gave us dominion or stewardship over all of his creation. We are not to worship it. But we are also not to abuse it. We are to care for it, help it grow and thrive and fulfill God's purposes for it. Some of those purposes are to be used (not abused) for human benefit.

Amen! Our packinghouses, poultry farms, dairies, and you name it, are using the resources the way God intended. I’ll use my “stewardship” as God purposed for we humans. I see in His Word to help the needy, the poor, the ill, the deprived widow (widower should also be included), especially those of the faith. I have not yet found one verse that tells me to switch my “stewardship” away from humans to animals.

Another thing about the Fall. Christ's death was not just to reconcile us to him, but also to reconcile all of creation.

Evangelical Environmental Network : FAQ
    Evangelical Environmental Network : Scripture
    </font>[/QUOTE]Again, amen. All things are of Him and by Him, and His Word tells us to believe His Word, the only begotten Son of God. The prudent man will not depart from His Word, and put animals ahead or on the same level as man. Christian faith, ituttut.

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not saying you are cruel to them. I'm asking you to think about what stewarding creation looks like.

I'm not an animal lover (besides eating them ;) ). I never liked pets or the zoo and still don't. It is through the scriptures that I was able to see God's call for us to care for creation which includes animals.

Maybe, maybe not.

That is awesome.

Agreed, nobody is advocating that. The biblical command is to include all of creation in our stewardship, not to switch it away from humans.

Nobody has been advocating to put animals ahead or on the same level as man.

13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

14. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

i had one person tell me that they believed God purposed them to be here to take care of animals in need. does that sound right?

Hey Massdak,

I have a question. Is this person trying to witness to the animals and get them to heaven?

If the answer is yes then I suggest you pray night and day for this person...lol

But there are organizations that use animals to reach children. Most of us who have pets know that it is great when we are in the most horrible mood and our cat or dog come over to us and just seem to know we need some cheering up. It can be an opportunity to witness, especially with children with emotional and mental problems.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.