1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minnesota Baptist Megachurch Rocked by Decades Old Scandal

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Nov 15, 2019.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pastor of one of the fastest growing churches in America, Wes Feltner, has taken a leave of absence and a church in Tennessee has quit considering him for their next pastor after allegations surfaced of his having simultaneous sexual relationships with at least two eighteen year old women while he was a youth pastor in Indiana back in 2002.

I am shocked at this because I had attended the church, Berean Baptist Church of Burnsville, Minnesota a few times when I was looking for a church home just after getting married back in 1994. At the time it was a congregation of about 500, compared to about 3,000 nowadays. Also, in early 2018 I had watched several church services online while caring for my elderly mother and I found Pastor Feltner to be a good speaker, likeable, and well grounded in scripture. I was considering making an offering to their church and in hindsight I am glad I didn't.

Here is the story in the local newspaper today:
    Burnsville church investigating sex abuse claims against pastor

Here is a website the two women have set up to tell their story:
    Brought To The Light

It's just heartbreaking to read their stories. I pray that God's will be done in this matter. I am amazed at the courage of these women and ashamed at the amount of coverup that (apparently) occurred to keep Feltner in the ministry. This sort of thing turns my stomach.

#1 InTheLight, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is just horrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found a site that had his 6 minute explanatory video that was played to the congregation of Berean Baptist Church. In it he admits some of the allegations by the two women are true, but not all of them. He then tries to dismiss them by saying it was over 17 years ago.

I'm trying to comprehend a guy that says he's a Christian that would take a naive 18 year old girl to Las Vegas, share a hotel room with her and leave her there in the middle of the night to go gamble by himself.

4. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An example of a man who did not flee youthful lusts.
    I cannot throw throw the first stone.
    There are so many warning signs in this story.
    First, a man, barely a man, is placed in a leadership position with apparently no oversight.
    Second, no public repentance, but instead a cover up.
    Praise God, he does not allow us to go undisciplined when we are his children (Hebrews 12). The public nature of this sin may destroy this pastor's livelihood, but it is God's will that His name be glorified and this man be made in the likeness of Jesus. Our identity is not in our professional career or title, but in our family relationship to the King of Kings.
    May this pastor openly confess his sins, graciously receive his rebuke and humbly walk forward, knowing God will never leave him nor forsake him.
    For these women, I pray they can receive God's grace and peace after being led into sin with this former pastor.
    May we look into our own corrupt hearts and confess before our King that we are sinners in need of reconciliation and grace.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What she did in the room by herself is the least of my worries.

• Agree Agree x 1