1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Minnesota Government Shuts Down Over Budget Stalemate

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Jul 1, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

From 2007 to 2010 the threat of higher taxation on the rich coupled with , the Cap and Trade Bill that was being proposed from 2008 as President Obam took office taxes for the health care bill and the added cost to businesses has curtailed spending.

The rich pay higher taxes they increase the cost of doing business, the added cost of goods trickles down to everyone including the poor as cost go up wages stay the same the cost of living for everyone increases but pay stays the same. The cost for the taxes on then rich trickles down to the poor in higher goods for them. Lower taxes on the rich and business cost of goods decreases and the poor have more money themselves.

The more that the rich spend and the increase in sales means sales tax revenue and as businesses thrive more folks are hired as the workforce increases and wages increase then income tax revenues increase.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Recalls have to do with passing a budget.:confused:

Why should a Congressman be denied his paycheck, when he is simply trying to save taxpayers money.
    If such a law is passed, he would be more liable to pass a liberal budget so he would not be denied his paycheck.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The congress are the reason why there is a deficit, not the people. if they had handled the tax payer money correctly there would be no deficit or debt. The should not be paid as long as there is a debt.

They should be recalled for their irresponsible actions in handling the tax payer money causing the debt and deficits.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are saying that things which hadn't even become policy was affecting behavior. I don't think this is reality.

If the rich pay higher income taxes (which they haven't since 2001) the cost of "doing business" is not affected. Furthermore, higher income taxes on the rich does not add to the cost of goods. And costs going up and wages staying the same was never a part of our conversation.

There is no relationship between taxes on the rich and higher costs of goods. You are proceeding from a false premise.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in favor of drastically cutting spending. If that entails shutting down some government services then so be it.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    but why punish the ones who are trying to be responsible?

then what services do you reccomend be shut down:
    Federal
    State
    Local

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First I don't know of any who are not irresponsible, but if there are then they would not be included in a recall as recalls are done on individual bases.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I thought I had.

Should be privatized anyways.

Notice I mentioned utilities in my above post.

Should fall under the defense portion of my above post.

At the state level? Or national level? Which one do you want me to respond to here?

Should be privatized, but I believe these people are under a national employment deal. Again, previous question.

Notice I said police and emergency personnel in my original post.

Again, are we talking state or national here?

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

You care to respond to my post, rather than pontificating on a completely unrelated tangent?

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a new crisis in Minnesota. Beer maker MillerCoors does not have permits to sell their beer in Minnesota therefore the state has ordered all MillerCoors products off the shelves in the state. However, since the state workers that would be tasked with removing the beer are idled by the shutdown, there has been no action taken.

Ironically, MillerCoors applied for the permits in a timely fashion, but overpaid the filing fees. Some bureaucrat deemed the applications invalid and asked for MillerCoors to reapply and submit the correct filing fee. So a state that is in an economic crisis returned money to a company. The brewery did this in late June, too late for the state to process the applications before the government shutdown.

If the government shutdown in Minnesota lasts into October, Anheuser Busch will be the next brewery to be selling beer in the state with expired permits. All Anheuser Busch products would then be subject to being removed from the shelves.

Also, bars and restaurants whose liquor permits expire in July are unable to renew them. When they run out of booze and wine they won't be able to sell it anymore. Plus, cigarette distributors that have selling permits that are expiring will have to quit selling cigarettes.

All of this mean that there will be some VERY UNHAPPY citizens in Minnesota (not me, of course) if they are denied their booze and cigs. It could be the catalyst that resolves the government stalemate. :laugh: