1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missionaries invovled in immorality that switch mission boards

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by shannonL, Mar 15, 2006.

1. shannonL

shannonL New Member

What would you do if you knew of a missionary who switched mission boards after he was caught in adultery with another woman. A fellow I know was caught without question.
    He caught a break because at the same time he was dismissed from his board the field he was serving in was closed.
    Therefore without missing a beat he simply lied to his supporting churches about why he changed boards and fields. He told them in his prayerletter(S) that because the field closed he decided to move on to another board and field.
    This I know personally is a outright lie.
    As many missionaries that are trying to get to the field today it is hard enough to get support. Yet a bum like this is gliding along.
    I get sick of being around this fellow knowing he is living a lie yet watching pastors etc... gush all over him.
    Should we just let the wheat be seperated from the chaff when it is time or should we sometimes let good, trusting folk know that their trust as well as their churche' money is being used by a deceiver?
    What say you?

2. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Why don't you go to him and discuss your concern? I wouldn't say anything about it unless I followed the Biblical method of you and him first, then after that take witnesses. he may be a real rascal, but then again you may find a reason to have mercy.

3. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Too many people keep quiet on things like this.

If you know for a fact that this person was caught in adultery and lied to the missions board, then I think you have a responsibility to tell the missions board. This person is not going to listen to anyone if they are involved in immorality and lying to serve in missions!

If this person is in good standing with pastors, etc, then people are going to be very skeptical when you tell them. You will need more than your word verses theirs and I don't know if legally the other missions board can discuss the matter of adultery.

Can you talk to your pastor about it, or other individuals who know about it? This person does not need to be serving as a missionary.

If you have any missionary friends, as them how they would handle it. Also try posting this on the missionary board.

4. shannonL

shannonL New Member

It is my wife's uncle on her mother's side. Our whole family knows its true. Her whole extended family knows it. Alot of my wife's family is involved in missions. So we have known that he has been a womanizer for years. He just finally got caught and dealt with by his board.Yet you read the opening post.So I'm not going to repeat that. I don't feel like it is something I have to do. Sometimes you just get frustrated when you know the real deal.
    God is keeping record though so we will see how it all turns out. Some folk get enough rope to hang themselves etc...

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

shannonL asked:

What say you?

In my opinion, Mission Board #2 is entitled to request a letter of reference from Mission Board #1 as a prerequisite to accepting the missionary.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A thought:

"The mills of God grind slowly; but they grind exceedingly fine."

Ed

7. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Again, go to him yourself. Then if you don't get satisfaction in the matter take two more with you. Then before the Church. Make sure you get the facts for sure. This is not a light matter.
    Do not let his sin make you sin by not following the Biblical pattern.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Which church?

Jesus' words in Mt 18 can only be followed completely in the case of a dispute between individuals within a local church. If the adulterer hasn't trespassed against ShannonL and/or isn't a member of ShannonL's church, there is no biblical requirement for him to confront the offender.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which church?

Jesus' words in Mt 18 can only be followed completely in the case of a dispute between individuals within a local church. If the adulterer hasn't trespassed against ShannonL and/or isn't a member of ShannonL's church, there is no biblical requirement for him to confront the offender.
    </font>[/QUOTE]In the context of only the local church, I would agree with Pipedude and Brother James.

What about 'brother' to 'brother'?

I suggest there are steps here that are 'Biblically appropriate', as well, if I may use that phrase.

Gal. 6:1-2 says:
    " 1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." (NKJV)

Eph. 5:11-13 says:
    "11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light." (NKJV)

And I believe there is a verse that says something to the effect, as we say in the hills of KY, "Come out from amongst 'em..." If the two suggestions above do not do the trick, so to speak, you may find it necessary to "withdraw from a brother who is walking disorderly."

All the above put the responsibility on you, as I see it. What the above do NOT say, as I read it, is consistent basically what Pipedude has said. That is to "tell someone" else about it. And certainly not in riddles, or hints that "Y'orta check this out, 'cause ...", for that is nothing more than gossiping, IMO. The principle of two or three witnesses is in Scripture for a reason. If the Holy Spirit is grieved, I'm sure He is more than able to handle the situation fairly well.

In His grace,
    Ed

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

EdSutton asked:

What about 'brother' to 'brother'?

If he's been fired from one mission board already, I'd surmise the issue has already escalated beyond "brother to brother."

11. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Did you actually see him in the act of adultery or did you just hear about it? You'd better make sure you get the facts before you find yourself guilty of being a gossip. Lot's of people think they know things. Be careful.

12. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I confronted the man this morning. He got awful hot under the collar about it yet he owned up to it.
    I suppose from here on out we will part ways.
    I'm just glad that he now knows that I know.
    I believe he is still being less than honest as to how much his mission board he is now with knows but hey if he lied to them that is his business and theirs not mine. I only addressed the matter because in some ways due to family ties his character has a direct impact on our family at this time.

I'm kind of like Harry Truman. Truman would not have a man on his staff that had been divorced. Especially if he had been a adulterer.
    Truman stated "A man that will cheat on his wife might cheat on me. He can't be trusted".

Grant it if he has repented before the Lord good for him. Yet part of the consequences of his transgression is the fact that his character has been shot to pieces. He did that not anybody else.

So, if you make your bed your gonna have to lay on it.

13. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

"It is my wife's uncle on her mother's side. Our whole family knows its true. Her whole extended family knows it. Alot of my wife's family is involved in missions. So we have known that he has been a womanizer for years."
    -------------------------------------------------
    If you knew this all this time how is it you are just bringing it our now? I smell a dead rat in the wood pile. I wouldn't go any further with this as a pastor until I get the missionary and his accuser together.

14. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Shiloh,

I have known it yes. The mission board he left knew it too. That is why he left, He was caught with another missionary's wife in immoral behavior. They both were dismissed from the board.
    My wife's uncle however is with another board now.
    I personally do not think that he should be serving with another board because of what he did.
    I told him that much yesterday. He has never let his churches know why he left the one board and then went to another. Not the real reason anyway.
    I think that is dishonest etc.. I told him this eyeball to eyeball yesterday.

So, I don't know about any dead rat in the woodpile. There isn't any dead one in my woodpile anyhow.
    My wife's grandfather just passed on. This fellow, my wife's uncle was left in charge of grandpap's little, meager belongings. I have never had any business dealings with this man up until now. Only out of neccessity have we had to do this. He has been less than forthright with us etc... I had to confront him about those matters.
    In turn he got all bent out of shape and asked me why I didn't trust him.
    So, I told him. He cheated on his wife so how do I know he wouldn't cheat us. He has lied to his supporting churches about why he switched boards etc... So why should I believe anything he says unless it is stamped and notarized?
    Now if he repented of that sin he is forgiven etc... I don't hold it against him. I just don't trust him. That is part of the consequences of the sin he was involved in.
    I was given a little compact pick-up by my wife's grandfather. Well he did not sign the title over to me before he died. So I have to go to a probate court with the proper documents to prove that grandpap is dead so the title can be signed.
    Well, the man in question here will not go to probate court and register the estate as small as it is. He claims that the truck is the only thing that has to be done through probate so it would be more trouble than it it worth to register the estate. There is some land, money etc.. involved with some other relatives. That is not my business. I don't care two beans about none of it.

So here is missionary who spent 30yrs on the mission field giving me the title to the little truck. He says the lawyer said I should go to notary at the rest home were grandpap died. The lady there said she would back date the title and notarize it. That is deceitful.
    Or the man in question said that I could give the truck to a junk yard man (the lawyer said this) the junk man could keep the truck with the title in his (the junk man's) name for about 10 to 20 days until somehow the value of the truck goes down then it is scrap and I can obtain the title that way. Again, this sounds shady etc.. The junk man could simply keep the truck as far as that goes.
    So for some reason my wife's uncle wants to keep from registering the estate with the county. He wants to skirt around that. He won't be specific as to why.I told him by all rights he should register the estate, be upfront with his siblings about the estate etc.... He doesn't want to do that. I don't care.
    It was during this discussion that I told him that I didn't trust him, that he was being shady etcc... He said why do you say that . Then I told him I knew about his leaving the mission field in sin and his lying about it. So how could I trust him.
    I took the truck that had been sitting in my yard and put in back in his. Gave him the keys and told him to do what he wanted to with the truck. Do what he thought was right in the eyes of God.
    I didn't want the truck if I was going to have to go under the table, skirt the law etc.. It is not worth it to me. I don't want my name tied up with his on anything.

So if I had never had to deal with this man first hand I would have never said a peep about what he does in his ministry etc... God keeps the books.

Yet he was trying to rook me and will probably cheat my wife's folk as well. I don't know. I don't care.
    This man has a nice 2000sq.ft. house paid for. He has a nice Ford pick-up along with a 5th. wheel trailer to go with it. He has property in california, florida, and Ohio. He ownes another motorhome, a 2003 mini van, built a brand new barn to go with his house along with two brand new decks. He lives on a island in the carribean as a missionary who has a two story apartment that overlooks a swimming pool. It looks like a resort down there. He is fully supported, plus he draws full social security on him and his wife.
    He owns a nice mobile home as well.
    Now I'm not jealous if that is what your thinking. God bless folk who have been blessed financially etc.. who are serving the Lord. I don't believe missionaries should live like paupers.
    Yet, when supposedly your involved in what is known as "faith based" missions I don't see how you should horde things like this man has. It is not right before God because it is dishonest towards the folk that support his ministry.

So think what you will about me and this post. I just simply told the man where the bull went through the buckwheat and he wasn't going to hoodoo me. I know alot of his supporting churches. I'm not going to rat him out. I just wanted to let him know that I know he is a rat. He asked why I didn't trust him so I told him.

Somebody has to stand up to folk like this sometimes. Because whether lay people realize it or not wolves or shisters in the ministry depend on the ignorance or naivety of folk to keep bilking them for money or whatever. Con men in the ministry depend upon the silence of the lambs so to speak in order to continue on in their trickery.
    We were not the only folk in the room when all of this conversation took place. So it wasnt' a he said, he said kind of thing. It is genuine.
    I understand this thing may reek of the flesh. To bad it does. This is why I stated the facts.Gave him the vehicle and parted ways. Keeping my integrity is more important than doing dealings with this fellow.
    So think what you want.