1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missionary Killed in Cameroon

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Oct 30, 2018.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of respect for those close to this missionary in the US who may not have heard the news, I'll not give details just yet. However, the news is that earlier today a missionary in Cameroon was shot and killed. At this time please pray for his wife and children, who face an incredibly difficult time. Imagine being clear around the world, away from all your loved ones, and having your husband and daddy killed.

I never got back to the thread I started previously about Cameroon, though I should have. However, as this incident shows, the dangers are real and continuing. Many missionaries have left the Anglo (English speaking) areas and are now in the Franco (French speaking areas). Others are waiting in the States to see what will happen. All of these missionaries need prayer too. Some are close to the slain main, and others are living in uncertainty.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The news just made my church's members-only Facebook page.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A missionary coworker has now shared the news on FB, I have read, and it is now out on a number of websites, so I'll share more.

His name is Charles Wesco, and here is their website:
    www.cameroon4god.com/

As you can see, they have 8 precious children, all very young. They had just arrived on the field within the past couple of months. Here is a website with more information about the shooting: Charles Wesco: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

It's hard to imagine how this happened. My thought is that they may have run afoul of a government checkpoint, where there would be a unit of soldiers with AK-47's. Things are very tense there, and a soldier could have shot him. Or, it could be a robbery gone wrong. We'll have to wait for more information.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AK-47s are ubiquitous in conflict zones. So, it doesn't tell which side fired the shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How terribly sad!
    May the God of all comfort be with the family.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a church website taking donations for a benevolent fund for the Wesco family: www.Wyldewood.org

The wife and children will need funds to ship the body of their loved ones back, to ship their things back, and for tickets for themselves to fly back. Then they will need funds to get settled back in the States.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vice President Pence has issued a statement:

“Charles lost his life while he and his family were sharing the gospel in Cameroon. Karen and I will be praying for Charles’ wife Stephanie, their eight beautiful children, and all those whose lives had been touched by his work and witness. And we will pray that they take comfort in the sure knowledge that Charles heard those words ‘Well done good and faithful servant.’”

8. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our pastor's wife printed a picture of the family (our pastor was en route home from a missions trip to South Africa), which we showed to those at prayer meeting, so our prayer warriors will be on their knees (literally or figuratively.) It seems unclear whether the rifle was intentionally pointed at Mr. Wesco or whether it was a stray from the frequent gunfire in that area. Nevertheless, we pray for God to glorify Himself in this. May the folks in Cameroon react to the murder as the Aucas did in Ecuador almost 70 years ago.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! The death of one man can change an entire country. We should pray to that end.

In the 4th century, gladiatorial battles still took place in the Roman Empire, though Constantine had made Christianity legal. One day an old Christian man interposed himself between the teams that were about to battle to the death, and called out for the killing the stop. The crowd screamed for his death, so the gladiators killed him. The Empire was so horrified by this event, the killing of an old, godly man, that there were no more gladiatorial contests from then on.