1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MIssions - A Dinosaur among the Baptist?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by His In China, Apr 27, 2006.

1. His In China

His In China New Member

Missions – Becoming a Dinosaur in our Faith?

2Co 10:16 - To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's line of things made ready to our hand.

Friends – I’m venting right now, but yet consider the words below.

Missions are becoming more and more of a dinosaur in the Baptist walk of life.

Many Baptist churches today have never even seen a missionary, must less spoken to one.

When we mention the 10-40 Window, people are clueless.

When the Baptists are told that the 10-40 Window is now open, we marvel?

When the Baptists are told that the cults are pouring in, we shudder.

When the Baptists are told of the struggles of the Christians in the 10-40 Window, they pity them.

When we talk about missions and the millions who have never heard, we might even shed a tear.

When Baptists talk of missions, we talk of the past heroes of the faith. Why always the past? Why no talk of the present?

Missions in the Baptist faith are fast becoming archaic. Its something that our forefathers did but isn’t something that my children should consider.

Missions have become something that only young people do for a summer while they are in college or something that retired people do for a holiday when they take a summer trip.

What does the Baptist talk about?

We spend countless hours arguing scriptures instead of carrying the “good news” to others. Maybe if we were busy getting the “good news” out, we would have less time to argue.

We spend countless hours debating if the Bible is inspired or preserved. If it isn’t, than why preach or believe?

We spend countless hours discussing salary packages and retirements – shame on you!

We spend countless hours doing everything, but praying that God’s people will carry out the Great Commission. Even when we do pray, we do not pray what we can do. We just pray for that poor unfortunate soul who has no chance to hear the gospel. We pray with an unbelieving heart to reach, to go, to help, but we do pray.

I wonder what God thinks of our prayers? What does he think when we pray with no feet to our prayers or no efforts to carry out the great commission?

Rom 10:15 - And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Pastors, Preachers, Sunday School teachers, Christians, please tell your people that missions is real, missions is for today as it was for yesterday.

Missionaries are not super saints. We are just common fishermen, carpenters, tax collectors, and doctors.

Tell them of the millions that died today without a chance to hear, BECAUSE we didn’t tell them. Tell them of those who are searching for hope and peace, but never find it because no one is here to tell them. Tell them that the Devil is happy and excited that the Baptists are not as active as in years past. Tell them that while we wait, talk and tell stories of missions, the cults are pouring in.

Its time we understood it’s a shame that the Mormons, Jehovah’s Witness and Seven Day Adventist are pouring in and there is not a Baptist to be found?

It still begins with a simple – “Here am I; send me”. Why are we afraid to say “here am I; send me”. Why has it become “there they are, let’s hope that some else tells them”,

Isa 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Has your church ever had the privilege to send a person to the missions’ field? If your church has never commissioned a person to the field is that not something we should consider.

What is your church doing to get the Gospel to the regions beyond? I realize what we are doing in the “apple orchards” around our churches.

Psa 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

Let’s learn to sow in tears and not to shed tears over lost opportunities since we were too busy to labor in HIS Fields.

Pray for us as we work here in China. It’s heart breaking to watch so many talented and loving Chinese teachers and students fall into hell because no one wants to join the harvest.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know exactly how you feel, His in China. There have been times on the field that we were so lonely, and wondering so much what in the world the churches in the homeland were up to, that we wept.

However, I have to say, though most Baptist groups are decreasing their missions force and missions support, independent Baptist churches are doing well in this area. Next week I will celebrate 25 years on the field of Japan, and I thank God for my supporting churches.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I know what you guys are saying about the 10-40, but allow me, a missionary to the "evangelized" part of the world add somthing.

As I have been on deputation I have seen an awful lot of emphasis on the 10-40 window, in fact I would say in some cases too much emphasis.

While it is good to point out needy parts of the world and focus on them, doing so to the exclusion or even the de-emphasis of others is wrong. I have had more than one church tell me that they are not looking for missionaries to SA to support since they are trying to reach the 10-40 window. I understand that they have a specific missions stategy in mind, but I think they have lost the global scope of the Great Commission.

I am thankful God is using you guys to raise up a people for His name in the far east. But the 10-40 window is no more imporant,and not any more spiritually needy than Europe, South America, or ones own home town USA for that matter.

What we need to see is God-focused balance with view of the world that does not elevate one area over another, but is in constant reminder that Christ has called people from every, tribe, tongue and nation to the glory of God.

One more thing- while I do think it is good to see the lostness of men, and we should have love for them, I think the hightest of our missionary motives must not stem from this, but rather from a passion for the glory of God. If we desire to see God worshiped by people from every nation, then we will be fervently evangelistic on a global scale. I know that John sees the glory of God as the supreme purpose of missions and I am thankful him and others that see the same.

Keep being faithful to Christ guys and God bless!

4. mnw

mnw New Member

I guess it depends on the Baptist church you are in...

But you are right, we need more men going into the mission field but also serving the Lord in their own countries.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

[​IMG] Amen! [​IMG]

The Lord gave me a thought the other day. 'When you come to the place where NOBODY and NOTHING except God will do, you will be in the right place.'

Think about it.

6. His In China

His In China New Member

4His-Glory – I agree but still believe there needs to be an emphasis on the 10-40. An emphasis on the 10-40 does NOT mean the other fields need to be de-emphasized. The whole world is HIS harvest field. They are equal!! No one should or can speak of one field being higher than the other. In simple terms, “Its His harvest fields”.

Also, I realize that workers in fields outside the 10-40 now feel like their fields are being de-emphasized, and sometimes feel left out when they attend mission’s conferences. Anytime I attend a mission’s conference, I make it a very big point to honor those who have been carrying the load in these established fields. It’s very important to honor them and give them the honor they deserved. I also realize it might be poor terminology to say “established fields”, but by that I mean where the gospel has been open for decades and we’ve been sending missionaries previously.

Many great works have been accomplished in various fields around the world. The Baptist was always ready to step forward into these fields. In the Philippines, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Japan, Germany and even Africa are some excellent works and past works. Does this mean these fields have no need, of course not? Can you use more workers; of course all fields need more laborers?

However, presently with the 10-40 Window we are not stepping up to the plate as we have in times past. Therefore, when some hear of the 10-40 Window, they are clueless and wonder why the importance. This is what I wish to address. Please do not think that means I desire to de-emphasis other fields or that God is finished with the other fields.

It should be noted that over half the worlds population that is unreached lies within this window. Therefore, strategies need to form to reach these people. If not, they will go unreached due to the hardships that fall into these areas. Here, and in other places, missionaries have to enter through tent making platforms. It’s frustrating that I have to teach English. I would love to be able to hang out my shingle, build a building, build the pews, buy the songbooks and run buses to bring the locals in. However, here, we just can’t do that. Truly I’m very envious of you guys who can do that.

Concerning the lostness and the glory of God is like a coin. Of course a coin has two sides. For me to understand the two I show the people here their lostness as one side and the other as the glory of God.

If the Baptist doesn’t see what God saw, as reference in the verses below, no one will go. The Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

The world is lost and if we don’t look at it through those eyes, no one will go. I believe that’s the primary reasons the Baptist is falling behind others in carrying out the Great Commission. We no longer see this world as a lost and dying world.

Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Mat 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Luk 15:4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

Luk 15:24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

Once someone goes to the field, then the other side of the coin becomes evident and it’s for the glory of God. I marvel in his glory that he would have ever chosen me to go to China.

I marvel in his glory in what has been done here in China. I marvel at the opportunities that we have available to us at this present moment, and it all because of his glory. This is my primary focus when I return to the US for furlough is to stress his glory and what God can do in your life if you will see that the world is lost and dying.

If we are ever to see that “God focused balance” that you refer to and to reach the every tribe, tongue and nation, than we’ve got a lot of catching up to do. Churches will have to re-evaluate their missions programs since less than 2% of all missions’ dollars go to the 10-40. In this window, 42% of the countries have no missionary presences. This isn’t balanced!

We can no longer make excuses that the doors are closed. They are opened, but it seems that we Baptist are not willing to step up like we have in times past when doors opened to other countries. This is what saddens me as the cults pour in.

If we don’t re-evaluate and change mindsets, then we will let some of the greatest opportunities in Church history, slip out of our reach. Why, because we were not willing to recognize what God is doing in these new harvest fields. Lets not be jealous of each other nor promote a field over another, but do recognize what is NOW open that wasn’t open before.

God bless and keep each one of you in each field, rather it’s home or abroad and lets recognize what’s now opened and make the proper adjustments to reach these areas. If not, the cults will.

7. Hal

Hal New Member

I have been both a pastor and missionary. I have noticed over the past few years that the focus on missions has declined. Additionally, I am now on deputation to become a missionary among inner city locations throughout the US and I have noticed that raising support is harder now than ever.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board, Hal!

Why do you think that it is hard to raise support now? Is it because there are more missionaries on deputation, less concern among the churches, or some other reason?

And by the way, I'm certainly glad I don't have to be raising support nowadays. It was the hardest thing I ever did! :eek:

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am not on deputation, thank the Lord, but I think the biggest problem is the splintering of the IFB movement over extra-Biblical issues.

10. mnw

mnw New Member

I guess it would be hard going to a town to be in Church A and Church B if A and B are not in fellowship because one allows women to wear trousers and the other does not. [​IMG]

Sad to say, such situations exist...

11. Hal

Hal New Member

It seems churches now more than ever seem to be withdrawing themselves from others outside of their churches including other children of God.

Now as a pastor I can see the world trying to creep into the church and I can understand it; however; we still must fight a good warfare: includng, missions.

Praise the Lord

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Hal said:
    Well, not all of them, thank God.

In my area, at least, Southern Baptist Churches are heavily into missions of all sorts, all over the world. Local churches and local people are going to places like Russia, Eastern Europe, South America and elsewhere. To be sure, these are fairly short trips--one or two weeks--but many of these teams are going back again and again. I know one brother who has led teams to Romania at least 20 times, maybe twice that many.

Natural disasters bring mission teams out of the woodwork.

Hal, You're not wrong, but it's not the same everywhere, and the heart for missions varies from church to church.

I'm sure the missionary on the field sees it from an entirely different perspective. And I'm sure IFB missionaries have a perspective that's different from SBC missionaries.

13. His In China

His In China New Member

Tom - YOu are right. MIssions varies from church to church. In some areas of the USA, they are renewing their hearts for missions. In other areas, there are still churches, pastors, deacons and church leaders who have never seened the field.

Some churches really need to challenge their pastor or church leaders to at least visit the field so missions won't be story in a book, but a real life spiritual adventure in their life.

I challenge all to get their pastor to the field and watch what God does when he returns.