1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missouri Baptist Convention

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Oct 22, 2001.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Conservatives cause their own problems at schools by not watching who they allow in to teach or on the board. Liberals are very good at taking over, but not as good at building. Look at U. of Richmond, Wake Forest,and Baylor just to name a few so called Baptist schools. Look at the Y.M.C.A., most of the Presbyterian schools and seminaries. The list goes on and on.

3. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

Webmaster,
    I heard today that the trustees of The Word & Way, Mo.s state Baptist Paper voted to elect their own successors as trustees to remove the convention politics from the process.
    This has been going on in the state conventions for years with the colleges but this is the first I've heard of a Newspaper doing it. I am not sure how the trustees are selected at the paper in NC and Texas but I bet they won't be far behind. I would imagine that a similar action will follow to avoid what happened to Baptist Press several years ago and more recently The Christian Index in Georgia.
    Russell

4. Kaylor

Kaylor New Member

There is a satirical newspaper (The Curds & Way) that I ran across that has a whole issue on the recent MO convention that covers just how ridiculous we Baptist are acting these days. To get a copy you just send an email to curdsandway@hotmailcom

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Russell wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I heard today that the trustees of The Word & Way, Mo.s state Baptist Paper voted to elect their own successors as trustees to remove the convention politics from the process.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will in no way remove convention politics from the Word and Way, the Missouri Baptist College, or the MBF. This is a political move in and of itself by the left, designed to keep the grass-roots Southern Baptists in Missouri from having the voice Baptists have historically had. Just another in a long line of examples of the power-brokers on the left and their political wrangling, attempted to silence the average Baptist who dares not to march in lock-step.

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: TomVols ]

6. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

People in these conventions across the country should disband and get back to the basics of God. These power hungry mongrels act like the world and are a disgrace to Christianity. The money they hoard and waste to make themselves powerful in their minds could go to real missionaries who need it. Instead it is used to inject their worldly doctrines into the churches.

7. Will

Will New Member

TomVols,

You use the term power brokers on the left. Now I don't consider myself on the left but I am on the opposite side of the fundamentalists in Missouri. Since you must be pretty familiar with our situation here, could you please identify a power broker on the side opposite the fundamentalists that's similar to the thrice married head of Project 1000 Roger Moran?

I look forward to your response.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Will,
    Every state convention has had their run of the power folks on the left. I'm not going to get into the business of character assasination or personal attacks by trying to call out individuals. In no way do I support every conservative person's actions, and in no way do I decry every single activity of a liberal person, just because they are liberal. As I have pointed out many times, the image of the liberal left painted by the liberal left is not accurate at all. The left wants people to think that they were minding their own business conservatives suddenly steam rolled them. This is not the case, and everyone who is honest with the facts in SBC life knows it.
    And the comment about the gentleman's marital status is a little out of line and has nothing to do with the consideration at hand. It would be equally wrong for a conservative to make some kind of comment like that about a liberal politico in an attempt to malign his/her character.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen, please come to order. May I remind you that for many of us the insider politics of the Missouri Baptist Convention (SBC) is about as relevant as the insider politics of the Scottish Nationalist Party? In other words, this forum is neutral territory and I expect you to behave accordingly. Now, come up to scratch and watch the low blows.
    Now back to our regular programming,
    Squire Robertsson

10. Will

Will New Member

TomVols,

So I take it you can't name any power brokers on the supposed left and would rather just make general ad hominem attacks against whole groups of people.

Since you don't want to get personal, at least give us the name of the left wing power broker group in Missouri similar to the fundamentalist power broker group Project 1000. No personal names please, we don't need to offend your sensibilities, just name the group.

I look forward to your response.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Out of deference to the Squire's authority, I'm bowing out of this discussion. Will, since you are a Missouri Baptist, you know who the "movers and shakers" are, regardless of which side they are on. You likely know full well the folks who have been trying to marshall the forces of the political machinery. Thus, I am not going to indulge your desire for names and personal attacks like the one you made. I simply am not willing to go down to a level that you seem to want to drag this down to. Again, the moderator has asked us to put a lid on it, and that's what I'm doing for my part. [​IMG]

12. Will

Will New Member

TomVols,

Thank you for bowing out of making unsubstantiated claims about fellow Christians. As I knew, you couldn't support your claim whatsoever. As a losing general once said, it was time for you to retreat and claim victory.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Will:
    TomVols,
    Thank you for bowing out of making unsubstantiated claims about fellow Christians. As I knew, you couldn't support your claim whatsoever. As a losing general once said, it was time for you to retreat and claim victory.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll let no one claim "victory" on this thread. I know enough about the SBC to know that certain claims were made that were accurate if not germane to this forum. If y'all want to continue this dust up, take it down to the Denominational Discussions Forum. So, let me make this clear this discussion ended because: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The Referee stopped the fight<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>not because one fighter could not land any more blows. My remarks were made to both sides of the discussion.
    In His service,
    Robertsson, Squire of Lower Duxis Abbey