1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MKL Day / Black History Month

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What will you ( and/or your church) do to celebrate MLK Day and/or Black History Month.

Last year our pastor was asked by a member to read a transcript of certain black leaders each Sunday during February.

My problem is that none of the individuals on the list were not noted for their Christian activities and at least one was not even a Christian.

The pastor said this year any Black to be so mentioned will be honored for his contribution to the cause of Christ.

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if MLK showed up in person he'd get no more attention than any other visitor. It has nothing to do with MLK or race. Sunday is Jesus Time if you pardon the expression. We, as the church, spend little time as it is in our corporate setting without having to share the time remembering mere mortals.

MLK is notable in American history. How many thousands have died around the world for the cause of Jesus Christ that will remain nameless to all except their immediate families and the Lord? Where do you draw the line for special recognition? I pick Calvary.

3. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

That exludes MLK.

I wish Christians would try to find out who the real Michael Luther King Jr. was rather than his "legend" before we start honoring him in church

4. Christos doulos

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe that Christian churches ought to be celebrating any human being. They can mention them - Lottie Moon, Annie Armstrong, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington Carver - but only briefly and if the anecdote supports the scripture being presented that day.

For example, my preacher was teaching a few Wednesday nights ago about wasted lives and how humanism will lead to you believe that life is all about pleasing yourself and when you have experienced all the pleasures of life - what's left. He gave a brief anecdote about Ernest Hemingway that was the epitome of this false mindset. Then he spent the remainder of the Wednesday night teaching on how life for a Christian should be all about pleasing God and we read the appropriate scriptures.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, but you should have put in the link giving the info

7. Christos doulos

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm

Upon Accepting THE PLANNED PARENTHOOD FEDERATION OF AMERICA MARGARET SANGER AWARD

His quote:
    "There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger's early efforts."

In his 1950 essay An Autobiography of Religious Development, King Jr. wrote that his father was a major influence on his entering the ministry.' 'I guess the influence of my father also had a great deal to do with my going in the ministry..........

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing at all.