1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Contemporary Music at Church

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by r5dots, May 21, 2001.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Have you had one particular experience that affirmed your faith in God?
    That is a pretty specific question. The one experience that affirms my faith in God is either the point at which I got saved, or perhaps some later date in my life where I can point to a definite time where I got an assurance of my salvation. Both come from the Word of God. "An affirmation of one's faith in God" is based on the Bible. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. Salvation, or the assurance therof, does not come by; "being out in the very nature of God's creation."

2. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

DHK, actually being out in nature would affirm faith in God....there is a difference between faith in God and an actual salvation experience. I think perhaps a bit too much is being made of this particular subject...and just curious, who was the artist?-dar

3. fwbbcflames

fwbbcflames New Member

Here is my take on the subject. I do like contemporary music, I have been a DJ for a contemporary Christian music show. First some songs are ok to be sung in church, they are sung in my consertive church. Songs from Ray Boltz, and Steven Curtis Chapman. (Speechless, listen to the words before you judge) There is a point when the music becomes just like the main stream top 40 music, this is wrong. Church should not look like a rock show, nor should the people act like they are at one. I am not very conseritive on this issue, but church is a place where Christians go to worship God in spirit and truth. Let all things be done decently (properly) and in order. (1 COR. 14:30) ;)

4. fwbbcflames

fwbbcflames New Member

Sorry the scripture reference is 14:40, my bad. ;)

5. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

fwb, ok so should we not worship in spirit and in truth outside of church? I mean if that music is ok for outside of the sanctuary to praise God then why not in the sanctuary as well? Also, why is it ok for other artists to have the same sound as other secular music but its not ok for others such as top 40? Just curious about this is all. -dar

6. fwbbcflames

fwbbcflames New Member

Dar, did not say we should not worship outside of church. Actually the way we worship in church should the way we worship outside of church. If a person only worships in public there are other issues. It all goes back to respect for the sanctuary, there are some things that are just not done there. Men do not wear hats, people dress different. Like I said I am not real consertive on this issue, but to have this kind of music in a service were it is not accepted by everyone in the congregation is wrong. ;)

7. War_Eagle

War_Eagle New Member

DHK,

I think the answer that he gave was legit. I believe that the Christian experience is a state of constant growing and learning and I believe the Bible supports this.

Are you saying that one's faith can't grow from observing God's creation?

I would disagree. I believe that the Bible says "the heavens declare the glory of the Lord and I can attest to this myself.

I came to know Christ in very large part because of one night that I spent on the Gulf of Mexico, miles away from the lights of Key West and Havana staring at the stars and being completely overwhelmed by God's amazing glory.

As one man alone on a vast sea, underneath an endless sky, I knew. I just knew that this wasn't an accident.

As I thought about my place and my role among all of these bright, bright stars, I slowly realized that all of these things that I had heard about Jesus must have been true.

Was I saved that night? Honestly, I don't know. Was I saved three weeks later while hiking through the west of Ireland and along the Giant's Causeway? I don't know.

I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I'm saved now and growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord but, in all honesty, I cannot point to one specific moment that I know it happened.

I didn't see anything in the interview that sounded out of line with orthodox Christianity.

I would encourage you to remember that although Jesus is the only source of salvation, the Holy spirit calls us to Him through different means.

8. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

fwb, I respectfully disagree with you on this. I believe christians have this idea in their heads that church has to be this formal setting and that this is the "respectful"way to worship when all God requires from us is to worship in spirit and in truth. I do believe this music belongs in church as anyplace else. I don't "dress" a certain way or "act" a certain way in church than I would any place else...why should we put on our "best" when God knows who we are already. This doesn't mean we are not to do our talents to the best of our abilities but dressing is not exactly a talent unless of course you are a fashion consultant.-dar

9. Kathy

Kathy New Member

This horse has been so badly beaten that I am going to call "Horse Protective Services" to come and get it! LoL

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh my. How about if we try something different. I know it's a step for us all. So how about if everyone who posted on this topic now re-posts, stating if they've learned something new, have changed their listening habits, or have decided to be even a little more tolerant of others who worship in a different manner? That would be cool.
    Since I brought it up, I don't feel as if I have to post anything myself, so bye. Just kidding.
    I suppose I now have a slightly better tolerance of those who won't listen to anything but old-fashioned music styles, seeing as they must follow their convictions. I am really struggling with the whole mosh-pit/acid rock thing. I don't think that's something I could ever see as worshipful in any way. It almost makes me want to jump up and sing "Tradition, tradition!" (from fiddler) I can't imagine being lady-like in a mosh pit. Then again, I never even did the falling-backwards thing in high school. Never been one to trust too easily.
    Gina

11. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Hey, I like your idea Gina...I personally am all for contemporary christian music in my own home, car, whatever...as for church, why not? What if we took the EXACT same lyrics that are used in CCM and put them to "hymnal" music...no one would be the wiser because it SOUNDS worshipful. But I understand to a point about the "classics" cuz there are many hymns that I truly LOVE and look forward to being able to sing them when I go to church. So yeah, I'd say I understand the point trying to be made by the other side (if you will).

Kathy :eek:
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Kathy ]

12. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

Gina, yeah good idea, I think this subject has been beaten to death too. I personally feel to each his own on this subject because I believe music is neutral and its the lyrics that make it right or wrong. So anyone can stand where they like and its cool with me :D -dar