1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - New Age or Rock of Ages?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certain types of music and performers are classified as "New Age" - Enya being prominent; Yanni also a culprit.

Much of this music is designed for meditation (which can be used for good or ill) and most of it is "unresolved" -- that is, it does not have a true start/stop point so that the mind does not consider it logically and process the music like we would a great piece by Bach or Mozart.

Should Christians listen to this?

[ September 12, 2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Dr. Bob--I've done a little study on this music style. As with so many music questions, you cannot be dogmatic on this one either. [​IMG] With that in mind let me offer just a few thoughts. Probably the thing you have to be concerned with is the ORIGIN of the various composer's compositions. Some of them claim to receive their ideas through channeling with the spirits. That causes me a little concern right there. Now, I can't say if this is for sure what happens. That's why you can't come out strongly against this style of music. On personal note, I do possess a little bit of it myself, most notably Mannheim Steamroller (a group with delightfully different, refreshing Christmas arrangements). Chip Davis does not claim to receive his ideas through channeling. So, Dr. Bob, the only thing for the Christian to watch out for it what the composer says to be the origin of the ideas for his compositions. The musical things you mention are true, but not necessarily a "Christian-right-and-wrong" matter or point of discussion. Let me know of this helps....Daniel

3. Grace

Grace New Member

It's been a joke around my house that I listen to "New Age" music. Actually, mine is George Winston, and it's piano music. I own 2 "New Age" cd's: George Winston plays Linus and Lucy-they music of Vince Guiraldi, and December (which I bought only for the arrangement of Carol of the Bells) I see nothing wrong with this music. Now, if it was strange, like believing in tree spirits or something like that, I would probably feel differently.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Music has a message all its own like speech. And like speech, music can be composed of "vain babblings" (2 Tim. 2:16)which we are commanded to shun.

Dr. Bob has put his finger on a major problem with much of the New Age music: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>most of it is "unresolved" -- that is, it does not have a true start/stop point so that the mind does not consider it logically and process the music<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to me that the Scriptures are very clear on this issue.