1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Practice, practice ...

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by apeman, Nov 14, 2001.

1. apeman

apeman Guest

In a class on being a better Worship/Music Leader they told us never to practice in front of the congregation.... While this works well on the normal services where I pick out all the songs or they are picked out in advance for me, it does not work out for "Favorite" nights.

So should I cancel the favorite night or ask in advance for people to "place their requests?"

Thoughts or feedback from other music ministers/worship/leaders? :cool:

Thanks,

-- Theological Neophyte

[ September 12, 2002, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ignore this particular instruction in relation to your "Favorites" night. A little spontaneity never hurt anybody, and in fact would be good exercise for most inhibited modern Baptists. Besides, singing ultimately is worship, not a performance. And there's no reason to look at a spontaneous song service as "practicing".

3. Joy

Joy New Member

From a piano teacher- :D Practice at home, so that you can read music better in general. As for favorites, Even this music teacher and pianist of over 20 years messes up on favorites night! :eek: Whew, I have really made a mess of a few new ones! Our pastor likes us to pick a few favorites, and then a few that have never been sung, just to try something new and break things up a bit. Some we sing again, and some we can!

4. Daniel

Daniel New Member

As a veteran MOM (Minister of Music), I can tell you to KEEP YOUR FAVORITES NIGHT! It's good for you (keeps you learning) and it's good for the people (exposes them to new songs). Never fear. Just do it.

5. Grace

Grace New Member

You should hear my Gramma on favorite's night...She'll try to play the wrong song. (actually it's the right song, just a different version) She did that last night :D It helps me to know that even my Gramma (who has been playing for forever) can still mess up. Keep the favorites, it's fun and I think that we worship well when we get to choose what we sing (sometimes, not all the time...)

6. apeman

apeman Guest

Thanks all for your posts ... our church is keeping the favorite night(s). In additionwe are goign to learn two new songs a week (no praise music just hymns) Maybe in the new year I will add in some Praise and Worship fluff. :D

Thanks again!

-- Theological Neophyte