1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured MMOTW, what makes the most perfect being of them all?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Oct 24, 2012.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Sit down, be quite, and pay attention John; Ben has the floor. All give heed!

Are You LISTENING John?

Take that John and take notes! You are sitting at the feet of Ben!

And Ben is it OK if you are called Ben?

John you must pay attention if you are to learn!

So we have God, philosophy, and Ben; Does it get any better than this. Once more; pay attention John of Japan!

Now you understand John don't you just why it is difficult for those of us who believe in the plenary verbal inspiration of Scripture to commune with those who don't believe, the Bible that is!

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes:

Another great example of the type of argument best left for the street fighting people who do so in ignorance and without ethical goals rather than even attempting to engage in purposeful argument (“philosophical argument”) meant to draw out the truth in claims and issues. Sad, that I often get more humble and respectful arguments from professed non-believers than I do on this so called “debate” board and that it is soo painfully obvious that many here such as yourself do not even understand the very basics of cardinal rules of identifying arguments in the debates…err, I mean “street arguments” that they would prefer to ignorantly engage in!

Funny, that I am currently working on listening to the argument presented on Humblesmith’s thread on the detriments of “anti-intellectualism” coming from the church (http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=82490 ) while you, OldRegular, are expressing the quite the opposite. Well, I guess by your view the future of all has already been pre-determined through your supposed “non-philosophical view” of the “Doctrine of Pre-selected Grace” so why should you care to argue for the existence of God intelligently while using those “insignificant” God given reasoning abilities in doing so? Eh?

#82 Benjamin, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2012
  3. OldRegular

[
    Your response to John was nothing but sheer arrogance and deserving of contempt!

The fool has said in his heart: "There is no God"!

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hopefully, articulated my opposition to John’s view of philosophy with valid reasoning and I think he knows I love and respect him so I doubt he would think of it as just a personal attack, as a matter of fact that is why I made light of the “dreaded” word “ignorance” while going about to raise claims and issues to support my premise and that of the college boy so that he “wouldn’t” take it personal since it was about to address some of what I have noted as obvious misunderstandings about philosophy on his part. You on the other hand look mainly to fallacious personal attacks to engage in try to win in debate, that is your typical MO, so it is of no surprise that you would view my disagreement with John that way, you obviously being much more ill-equipped to deal with the issues logically than him and why you would add nothing to the conversation concerning my claims but to center on that premise of bringing the attack directly to me (engaging only in rhetorical fallacy) while avoiding all other issues while defending your actions saying I “deserved it”… Yet another great example of your pride in your “perceived” superior type of debate skills and why I rarely bother to address your posts here.

Nice typical dodge, (guess that's all you got) but is anoyher example of being void of reasoning which address the issues raised, displays a lack of ethical debate skills and thereby is simply a lame reply, hardly worth my time. From now on concerning you I think I’ll try to stick to the Biblical wisdom and guidance about continuing to address you in "debate" by allowing myself to be sucked in to returning your kind of rhetorical argument through focusing on using fallacies and personal attacks since it is obvious you would cut off your own feet to win an “argument” and just leave you with a little scripture about fools back at you:

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool cutteth off the feet, and drinketh damage. The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools.
    (Pro 26:4-7)

5. OldRegular

And even the sharpest tack has a flat head! {OR 10:1}

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be interested to find out what humblethinker actually believes about inspiration.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well said! Bible based persons learn quickly this is a watershed issue early on .

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Benjamin.

You said this to John;
    What you miss consistently is.....

God said it!.....that settles it! No matter if you believe it or not!

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you miss is the context and the whole point made in that argument...but that is very understandable. ;)

10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Calvinists love you in this thread John...:laugh:

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Calvinists love the scripture....John likes to use it:thumbs:

Benjamin....your fixation on your"philosophical principles"...is not healthy.It keeps you from scripture...it does not enhance your understanding at all.Most of your lamenting and whining about all of us who discuss scripture has the same root objection with you offering verbose lectures on your debate and philosphy rules.
    Do you not see how you never get to the word of God which is the basis of our sanctification Jn 17:17:thumbs:
    here you are doing it in this thread;

No one ...{well maybe you have 2-3 devotees} cares about these "concepts" that you keep identifying as so crucial.

This is consuming you to a point that an objective observer would not identify you as a christian as you rarely post scripture in many of your posts.[there have been an occasional cluster of verses when a poster presses you on it].
    Benjamin....try to leave these attempted philosophical debate rules, and offer more ......can I say....biblically reasoned ....views:thumbs::wavey:

#91 Iconoclast, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're funny dude! When I do post scripture then all you want to do is pull some of that Archie Bunker “Phikosophy” :laugh: ;) out of your hat and/or post some of your twisted interpretations of the 1689 LBC philosophy as if it were prophetically inspired.:rolleyes:

I even started a thread because of you repeating this nonsense about non-Calvinist not posting scriptures and how none support my view just for the sole purpose to post you scriptures supporting my view and you Calvinist couldn’t stand it and the hissy fits you guys put up got the thread close by an unnamed administrator in a stealth like flyby. :sleeping_2:

#92 Benjamin, Nov 4, 2012
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was not trying to be funny in any way. I think you need to address this issue honestly. Is it possible that it is unmortified pride on your part that you retreat to this kind of condescending type of lecture on rules of phikosophy...as if that by attempting to demean those you claim..."you love"...you are actually not really communicating with the person who has a view that you do not share.

In this thread for example... you say to me that I have not understood your interaction with John.....lets say you are correct.....it would then be on you to communicate with me in a way i could understand...correct???

You claim that you use your phikosophy to:

#93 Iconoclast, Nov 4, 2012
  14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Could not have said it better myself. The only thing I would add about the totality of God's attributes and character, is that our minds cannot take in or understand in this life the depths of His knowledge, love, grace, and many other attributes. We talk about omnipresent, omniscient, onmipitent (sp, sorry), but we really cannot wrap our minds around these concepts. We can only describe God vaguely limited by our minds.

To be honest, man cannot even fully understand the concept of infinity. We can put cute phrases in hymns like "when we been there ten thousand years, birght shining as the sun....." but we really do not take in the full meaning of infinite. We cannot understand being in a state of existence without time or space. We cannot know what is like to see Jesus face to face. We throw around that phrase all the time, but really, have no real idea how wonderful it will be. That doesnot even to speak of our level of knowledge then compared to now.

All I know is I can hardly wait.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree that reason and thinking skills and logic come from philosophy. They come from us being made in the image of God. Aristotle may have been the first in the Western world to systematize logic (kind of unkind to forget Asian logicians), but God gave it. As I said to humblethinker (and he never answered) I've known Japanese which no education in philosophy to make perfectly logical points.
    I would like at this point for you or humblethinker or somebody to tell me what you mean by "philosophy." As far as I can tell, when you guys use the term it refers to pre-1900 Western philosophy, and even then in only a general way. In your term "philosophy" do you include dialectical materialism? Existentialism? Confucianism? Taoism? If not, why not?

Where is the epistemology of philosophy in general? Who wrote it up? How can we know it is true? How is it that to you guys Asian and 20th century philosophies don't seem to count? I consider Confucius to be every bit as brilliant as Aristotle or Plato, and then some, not the least because he believed in a monotheistic God very close to the God of Israel, and those idolaters did not. (Forgive me for pointing out your ignorance of Asian philosophy. )

Most of all, you have not yet mentioned Col. 2:8, nor has humblethinker after I showed him his error in exegesis. Can you exegete this verse for your position? Can you explain to me why, though he quoted men known as philosophers, Paul never called them such? He referred in Acts 17:28 to Aratus of Soli and/or Cleanthus, but called them poets, speaking to Greek philosophers. He referred to Epimenedes in Titus 1:12 as a prophet, not a philosopher.
    Sorry to hear that I'm so ignorant it would take so much time to correct me.

I think you missed what I was doing in my second post about this, my mea culpa, perhaps due to my poor wording, I don't know. I was comparing two sources, the young man and his prof, and saying the prof was the preferred source for the idea. That is not the same as the ad hominen error I made in my first objection. If you had a choice of someone explaining the space shuttle to you, would you choose a junior engineering student, or my friend Tom T. who was the project engineer of the space shuttle orbital maneuvering engine? And why would it be an ad hominen argument to reject the college junior for the experienced professional?

But humblethinker has been cheering for the college junior in theology proper. I'll not get into Descartes, but he threw Plato and Leibnitz up at me in post 29, saying, "Perhaps you can better explain what Decartes, Plato, Liebnitz (spelling--JoJ), et al are really trying to say?" Plato was an idolater and Leibnitz was a pantheist. Do you agree with humblethinker that we should learn our theology proper from an idolater and a pantheist? I'd far rather study Confucius, who at least was a monotheist. And I think after 31 years of explaining God from the Bible to Buddhists, Shintoists, atheists and others, perhaps I know more than an idolater and a pantheist about Him. And my knowledge to discuss God with such people comes from the Bible.
    Sorry, you keep referring to philosophy as a science. Where do you get that? How does philosophy use the scientific method? And which philosophy? There are so many.
    We certainly disagree here. In no way am I going to line up any philosophy (possibly general revelation) with the Word of God (special revelation), “with no separation.” My epistemology says God gave the Word, and man digs for knowledge from general revelation.

And you know, there are Christian scholars in the field of philosophy who agree with me. "The job of philosophy of religion was to look around for objective proof, for non-Christian reasons for Christian faith. This was not really satisfactory. For one thing, it does not really work. For another, it neglects the real grounds of Christian belief. The Christian faith has to stand on its own feet, and vindicate itself by itself, or not at all" (Philosophy and the Christian Faith, by Colin Brown, p. 46).
    Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

#95 John of Japan, Nov 4, 2012
  16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you asked John, in short, as I often use Col 2:8 when I’m witnessing – When I first turned to God one of the first things out my mouth along with that my wisdom in this world wasn’t working, never would and only He could guide me toward the right paths in my life was that I needed to know how to communicate with Him, to hear Him, to know the truth of who He is and in despair I told Him that there were so many people saying so many things about Him that how was I supposed to know what church to go to get help and who to listen to and believe? Again, to keep a long story short, the very next day I pick up a Bible and not knowing anything about it I began to search in it and that very same day God showed me both: that He would communicate with me through those words and that His Words were True. Needless to say “truth” became all-important to me as God was “Truth” as well as Wise and my faith, love and respect for Him quickly grew in that Light. SO anyway, while God was speaking to me through His Word and answering my questions and concerns, which He was doing to my amazement because it so happened that I would open that Book that I knew nothing about up right to a place that would answer the questions that I would ask Him and often this brought me to tears of joy because I knew He was talking to me through those Words and answering my prayer to be able to hear Him. Well, after-all He was Truth and His Word said, Mathew 7:7, ask, seek, knock and the door will be opened unto you!!! Man! This is hard to keep to short, and you wonder why it would take so long to explain the difference in types of “argument” when it comes to using Critical Thinking Skills (philosophical “science”; a redundant term actually being the study of values and reason in language) which are designed to draw out the truth in claims and issues in debate. So anyway, regarding my concerns about who to listen to in the world and what church theology to follow God once again answered my prayer in the first few weeks of my new relationship with Him when I opened my Bible right to Col 2:8 and word for word that scripture became branded on my heart to guard me and later served to teach me the importance of knowing good philosophy from bad. How can you “beware” if you don’t know the differences between good and bad philosophy??? Yes, first one compares the interpretation to the Word of God by the knowledge and understanding He gives us and one way I determine the truth of what a man says is through the Critical Thinking Skills (Philosophical Skills) (The science of logic) that God has blessed me with learning.

Got to go…

Your welcome, my hope is they edify you on the value of philosophical critical thinking skills to help you discern the truth from within the interpretations men put on the Word of God as they "argue" to support their theological standings.

#96 Benjamin, Nov 4, 2012
  17. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John.... I appreciate your responses on this thread...but there is a confusion here. You are correct that you are using the term "Philosophy" differently than others here are. You are speaking past Ht and Ben, and myself and others and vice versa.

18. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

JoJ....
    Your fixation on Confucius as a true "mono-theist" may be reaching somewhat. I am decidedly not prepared to "Debate" you (in a point/counter-point kind of way) on the topic as I have read little of him. But, as an amateur Historian....I don't know too many people who would classify Confuscius as a true "mono-theist" (as we think of the term). As far as a Western-educated person is concerned...I see Confuscious as the penultimate "Existentiallist" as it were....I don't know that "Theologically" Confucius gave a hoot about whether one were mono-or poly, or any kind of "theistic"...I think he cared about the smooth and ordered running of a society.....You may be able to shed more light on this...but this:

"Confucius was a worshipper of the God of Abraham/ monotheist....thingy.." Well, it's decidedly news to us Westerners.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good testimony. Thank you. But it is not exegesis. How do you exegete the verse?

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing is, you guys appear to be using the term "philosophy" as a generic term--something all agree on equals philosophy. By mentioning Asian philosophy and 20th century philosophies I've been trying to show there is no such thing as generic philosophy. There are philosophers and philosophies, each very different (allowing for students following their teachers). The things you guys are referring to (critical thinking, rules of logic, etc.) are the result of individual philosophers developing the ideas, not some big meeting where all the philosophers decided on them.
    So to clarify, yes, I think the Bible in Col. is saying, "Take no philosophy as your world view." I don't think it is saying, "Philosophers are all wrong."
    But to me it is narrow minded to simply refer to "philosophy" as a certain set of principles common to only certain philosophers from the West during a certain era.

Concerning C. S. Lewis, I read all of his stuff, fiction, non-fiction and bio (A Grief Observed) when I was young. But I never thought of him as a philosopher and never heard him referred to as that.:smilewinkgrin:
    Thank you for the kind words. I've not felt insulted by you. But I've been regretting joining this discussion.
    This is where philosophy differs from where I live and have my being. In my world, ask 100 people whether they would rather hear about the space shuttle from Tom, who helped design and build and launch it, or Joe Blow, the college junior just studying it, and at least 99 will say, "Tom, of course!" Same truth, no experience versus vast experience, I'll listen to vast experience every time.
    I've not read Leibniz, but the sources I've consulted all say he was a pantheist. I'd give some quotes, but then would that be "appealing to authority"?

I'm sure you're not getting your theology from philosophy. I'm still not sure about the other guys.
    Once again, my point in mentioning Asian philosophies is to say--someone please give me a definition of what you mean by philosophy! I can't see it as something generic. No one on this whole thread has given a single quote from a single philosopher about a "more perfect" God! No one has given a definition of philosophy.
    Then for crying out loud, define it!
    I wasn't debating there. That was self defense from someone apparently so ignorant as to put his faith first.

#100 John of Japan, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012