1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern Baptist Heroes

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

First of all, my husband!
    Then also John Piper, Jerry Bridges, AW Pink

2. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

[/qb][/QUOTE]George W. Truett -- he stood up to J. Frank Norris and would not let him destroy Texas Baptist life.][/QUOTE]

And this is a good thing? Do you support the liberals that J. Frank Norris preached against? Do you support those with doctrines of devils, like "theistic evoluion?"

3. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And this is a good thing?</font>[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Most of those "liberals" whom Norris preached against were not liberals at all. Norris loved to demonize anyone who did not fully support everything he wanted to do.

No. I also don't support those who do the work of the evil one by falsely accusing the saints. That's why I am glad Truett stood up to Norris.

5. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like you have a strong bias...

Okay... So he was trying to separate the wheat from the tares in explicit disobedience of the Lord Jesus?

Yep. He was kicked out of the association and the state convention many years before and literally carried out of two consecutive meetings of the SBC for rushing the platform claiming that the leadership was "communist".

We're speaking in generalities, so I don't know who you are referring to specifically.

Norris accused so many people of so many things it is difficult to keep track of them. As far as "proving" it goes, the burden of proof is with the person making the allegation of wrongdoing or error.

While Norris attempted to expose a number of people of questionable character and expose genuine corruption in Fort Worth politics and government, he also vilified and attacked a number of people who were apparently innocent. His behavior toward Truett was contemptable as well as his attacks on Southwestern Seminary.

Furthermore, Norris's own record of telling the truth and doing things honestly is highly questionable. In his trial for perjury (he was put on trial three times - once each for arson, perjury and murder), he surely would have been convicted if the grand jury had recorded whether or not he was sworn to tell the truth before his second day of his testimony before them regarding the suspicious fires that destroyed the First Baptist Church building and the parsonage.

7. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they were "Communist." Conservative Southern Baptist churches are a remnant. Most today have gone to new age "Bibles" and contemporary worship. The Southern Baptist Convention goes against the "non-denominational" stand of historical Baptist.

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. To all parties, this is a discussion forum and the tone will remain civil.

Civility in not optional here.

If we want to discuss the sins of the SBC, let's move it to the denominations forum.

9. Bondslave

Bondslave New Member

Theologian, Greek Scholar, and Soul Winner Mitchel G. Chakour

10. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For me, Billy Graham. I say so because I believe he has led more people to Christ through his preaching than anyone in the last few centries. Some may disagree but We shall see;

2 Cor. 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

11. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

J. Frank Norris - You may not like him, but he single handedly changed the direction of the Ind. Baptist Movement.
    Lewis Entzminger - Great Sunday School Organizer
    G.B. Vick - Founder Baptist Bible College
    W.E. Dowell - Former President Baptist Bible College
    John R. Rice
    Jack Hyles (Pre KJVO heresy)
    Davis Bryant - President Arlington Baptist College
    Dr. James T. Sewell - Prof. Baptist Bible College/Chair Pastoral Dept.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know that I agree with this statement. Billy Graham comes to mind....he has an amazing ability to present the gospel and for people to respond. No doubt God has worked through his popularity. </font>[/QUOTE]You have made my point.

There has been enough said about this compromiser. If he preached against infant baptism, the sacraments, etc. he wouldn't be nearly as popular. It isn't always what one says, but what one doesn't say that makes one a compromiser.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bily Graham is an evangelist not a local church pastor. He has about 30 minutes each message to give the people the good news of Jesus Christ. If he spent his time on issues that are not eternal he would not have sepnt time on the issue of eternal salvation. With an evangelist salvation is the focus not other issues.

In the south he did deal with racism that the local pastors did not. Racism still exists and the local pastors in some of those communities still have not dealt with it. They just have the attitude of live and let live.

When I went to visit a friend of mine in LA he pointed out to me the differences in the town. He asked how we got directions to get there. I told him we asked at a local grocery store. His wife asked, "Didn't we notice something different?" I told him that we didn't. He pointed out that was the black part of town. In that town was a black Baptist church and a white Baptist church. He pastored the white church. He also told me that he got along very well with the other pastor. So I asked him what he thought about that picture. He told me he knew it was wrong but that there was little he could do. So the picture was that black christians are different than white christians.

Recently a speaker spoke and said that most Christians say they trsut God and believe the Bible but live as atheists.

So amidst your criticisms of a man who is doing his best to live for God, who is living for Jesus Christ because of your life? The fact is that the majority of Christians cannot name one person they have discipled who is living for Jesus Christ. I cannot criticize anyone who is doing there best to grow and become more like Christ who is following Christ's command given to His disciples in Mt. 28:19,20. You might say well Billy Graham does not follow up on all those decisions. The article I want you to read started the discipleship program for the BGEA. I was also a part of that program at one time.

Sometime read the article at http://www.gospelcom.net/navs/collegiate/resources/borntoreproduce.pdf

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a close friend who taught law at UT-Austin a few years ago. He also represents people on death row. The things he has told me would make you hang your head in shame about some of the things that happens in our judicial system. He has told me of many cases where the lawyer representing the person has come to court a little too inebriated. I once asked him there was ever a time when he felt the person was not guilty of the crime. He said, "Yes." I asked him how many times. At the time he had only been practicing for a few years and told me, "Twice." So you believe in the death penalty. That's great. But do you also believe in a judicial system that has executed innocnent people in the name of justice but really politics and lack of money and representation for the accused. Are you willing to declare some innocent people guilty and execute them?

You do know it is much less costly to sentence people to life in prison than execution.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Several years agio I raced bicycles in the velodrome at China Creek Park in Vancouver, B.C. I found those men to be especially hospitable. I was 19 and one of the men who had ridden professionally and had ridden in the Tour De France invited me to his home for one week. I was shocked. I was so shocked that I asked a friend of mine about what he thought of that. He told me that was the way those people were. My experiences have been absolutely fantastic with Canadians. It was the same way when I worked in Finland.

A friend of mine was interviewed to teach at a Baptist seminary in Canada and was very impressed. He didn't go because his parents were elderly and actually did not live much longer after that.

15. zuchva

zuchva New Member

I guess anycne can be a hero these days.

16. dr396

dr396 New Member

Wow this is a great subject. Here's my list

Carl F.H. Henry -- theologian of the early evangelical movement
    Billy Graham -- preacher of the early evangelical movement
    Ernie Reisinger -- Calvinist torch-bearer during the liberal years of the SBC
    Paige Patterson, Adrian Rogers, and Paul Pressler -- brought the SBC back to its historic roots of inerrancy
    Al Mohler -- my president and the greatest SBTS president since John Broadus
    David Dockery -- my former president and a major player in the revival of the SBC
    John Piper -- nuff said
    Wayne Grudem, D.A. Carson, Millard Erickson -- those who unknowingly taught me much in seminary (and continue to do so)

Here are my future heroes
    Mark Dever -- bringing back Biblical eldership
    Stan Norman -- Professor of Theology at NOBTS
    Russell D. Moore -- Dean of School of Theology at SBTS (he's only 32)
    Sam Shaw -- pastor Germantown Bapt., Memphis (hopefully the 1st calvinist SBC pres)
    Vodie Bachaum -- speaker guy and hopefully the 1st African American SBC pres)

well that's enough for now. I am sure I missed a bunch though.

D.R.