1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modest Swim

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by John3v36, Sep 7, 2003.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to the words? They look silly. Do they come with a life perserver considering all the material that is used?

3. Rosebud

Rosebud New Member

I saw another site a while back with some modest apparel on them but they looked horrendous period...very brightly colored. If I were swimming with other women I would stick with some boy shorts and a top. However, I'm just like Diane (small waist, curvy hips, etc) and those swim suits would still draw attention if in the presence of a man. But I'll give the site a [​IMG] for recognizing that most swim suits are not modest and offering their product.

4. showard93

showard93 New Member

[/QUOTE]Swimming is probably one of the best ways to get a good cardiovascular workout. There is nothing wrong with swimming, so I am curious as to why you think that you had a weakness in this area of your life. I am not being judgmental in any way. I simply was curious as to your rationale.
    [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don't think of you as judging me at all. I can see where my statement was very confusing. What I meant to say is that I have a weakness to water. I love to swim, ski, ride tubes etc... so when I felt the Lord dealing with me on dress I was still wearing swimsuits and deep down wondering why I felt like I needed to dress right all the other times but when I swim I can take it all off(so to speak) Then I got hold of a great book called what in the world should I wear and this lady says; some women would not be caught in there under garments in front of people but they will put a swimsuit on and think everything is okay. Well lets just say that was a real eye opener to me. :eek:

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John3v36, you quoted…

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman‘s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God

Just 6 verses down….

Deuteronomy 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Better check the label and make sure its not a blended fabric also.

HankD

6. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, Deut 22:11 is a very good verse for this thread. Divers wear swimsuits, and that verse says we're not to wear a garment of "divers" sorts. So no matter how modest the swimsuit is, we cannot wear them.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, I am wearing 100% cotton; however, it fails to comply with Verse 12.
    Not only that, when I went up on my roof to cast this offensive clothing to the wind, I fell off my own roof because I did not adhere to Verse 8.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Good: I wanted to make sure that you did not take it that way. You have always been very gracious and do a great job of presenting your convictions.

I share your addiction.

This is where you and I would have to disagree. HOWEVER, since you feel as though God was convicting you in this area, then that is the end of the disagreement. If you really feel this way, then you are doing the right thing in your life.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

HankD

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Jeffrey H said:

Here's another website that's even more modest!

At some point you are so fully dressed that swimming ceases to be fun and refreshing; those suits probably crossed that line.

Mind you, you'd probably get a wicked workout just keeping yourself afloat.

12. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

note what the second verse DOESN'T say. i'm not interested in being an abomination to the lord my god, as ALL who do so are.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By this reasoning, its ok to break the Law of God by wearing mixed fabric as long as it's not an abomination to God?

If you break one point of the Law you break it all no matter if it makes you an abomination or not.

HankD

14. Baptist in Richmond

What? Who on the list is cross dressing? The first verse quoted has nothing to do with modest swimwear.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just an addendum:

I hope we all know that we are not under the Law but walk by faith "The Just shall live by faith" We are supposed to be led of the Spirit and if we are, the assumption on the part of the Scripture is that we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

HankD

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank - good reminder. We are NOT under the Law.

If those legalists who take Deut 22:5 and chain it to me (even tho I'm not a transvestite, which is what it is talking about) want to believe it, that is their privilege.

But they had better be consistent and follow every other law in Deuteronomy. A laugh, of course.

Odd hermeneutic. "Pick and choose. Pick and choose." :rolleyes:

17. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

By this reasoning, its ok to break the Law of God by wearing mixed fabric as long as it's not an abomination to God?

If you break one point of the Law you break it all no matter if it makes you an abomination or not.

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]in general these commands are for the jews, but concerning crossdressing we know it applies to gentiles as well because of the extra info in the text. some other parts of leviticus apply for the same reason.

18. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

should we toss scripture as a guide to what god expects from us, then?

[ September 10, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: timothy 1769 ]

19. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

dr. bob, either you believe what the bible says here, or you don't.

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

so choose, i recommend taking the bible at face value.

btw, the bit about being only about transvestites is not in the text, but is a popular addition allowing this bit of scripture to be ignored. it's similar to claiming "thou shalt not kill" only applies to those who kill for enjoyment. ridiculous.

20. Baptist in Richmond

Again, please explain how this is justification for modest swimwear.
    Additionally, since we have all been deceived by what you deem to be a popular addition, perhaps you could shed light on what the true meaning is. Every preacher I know says that this Passage refers to cross dressing. In fact, I once asked a rabbi if this was the case, and he concurred.