1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mohler and Yoga: Your Take

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Oct 7, 2010.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I totally agree with Mohler on this. This is not some small issue today. Most who claim to be Christian today are caught up in many forms of false religious activities cloaked with Christian words so as to trap those involved by opening the door for satanic attacks.

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Totally agree with Mohler. In fact, in light of Wade Burleson's ridicule of Mohler for his stand, I will no longer read Burleson's blog.

Yeah, it is important.

Let me phrase it this way:

A Navajo sing involves circle dancing, chanting, often sand paintings and other ritual acts. Now, that circular dancing and chanting is good cardio.

So should Christians participate? Of course not.

I know a young woman that thought she could do a little yoga to reduce stress and get in shape. Then a little "Christian" meditating to clear her mind.

She cleared it right into Buddha worship, made shipwreck of her faith in Jesus, and has spent years slowly overcoming it and getting back right with God. She will live forever with bad choices made during her time isolated from the Lord.

Scripture is soooooo clear that we avoid all forms of idolatry. We are to be a separated people from all that comes from worship of any but the one true God.

Either "Jesus is Lord" or He isn't. No Jesus plus a little from this religion and a little from that.

3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Yoga can be just exercise, but it can also be much more.

4. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

If it is just exercise, is it yoga anymore?

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

For many people yes just stretching and burning calories, nothing more. But of course one should always be cautious it wouldn't become more than that.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Praise God that Al is speaking out on this. May the Lord grant repentance to the Churches and Christians practicing Paganism.

7. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I am still not clear on your answer. Is something that is just stretching and burning calories really yoga, or just some form of exercise that is maybe derived from yoga forms?

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I don't know if a yoga enthusiast would agree, but I think people consider it yoga if they are doing yoga poses. What else would you call it? I guess you can rename it. :)

9. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Well historically, just doing the poses was not yoga. That some have appropriated the word is true. But is such an appropriation accurate on a meaningful level? IOW, is it accurate to say that the poses are not really yoga (regardless of what some may call it) as Mohler claims?

It seems that to claim yoga can be simply exercise and nothing more is to ignore the history of yoga, what the word means to its typical practicer, etc. For instance, Merriam Webster definition doesn't allow for yoga to be simply exercise. So, it would seem that those who use "yoga" to refer to mere exercise are misappropriating the word. Kinda like say prayer can be a person just communing with the god within themselves. Sure, some may use it like that, but does that very atypical usage then become an acceptable definition simply because some people use it that way?

At the very least, Mohler seems to stand on solid ground when he makes the distinction he does. It may be a distinction not recognized by some, yet still very valid when considering the subject as a whole. And if his distinction is sound, then his overall point is sound as well. Those who would quibble that yoga can just be exercise are using the word totally outside of its historical and philosophical foundation and thus bear the burden of "proof" to demonstrate such is a valid use of the word.

A simple test: Go to a bookstore and see how many books on yoga show the exercises apart from any philosophical moorings. I would be extremely surprised if you could find one. Even less likely than finding a book on doing martial arts that doesn't spend some time on the concept of "chi"...which is pretty unlikely to begin with. I am going out later today so I will try this experiment myself. In the meantime, you all can lay wagers on how many books on yoga don't include some spiritual/philosophical aspect.

#29 dwmoeller1, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am not disputing nor discussing the history of yoga. I am just stating what people call it. Again I ask what would you call it if someone does yoga poses strictly for stretching and burning calories? If you asked one hundred people what they would call it how many wouldn't just say, yoga?

#30 Steven2006, Oct 13, 2010
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Merriam-Webster definition 2 of yoga:

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I disagree with Mohler on a lot and I'm not sure on this one. The first I read about yoga and Christians was when I read about karate and Christians and I was one hundred per cent against the mix. Today about 30 or so years later, I met many a good Christian who is into karate and seem to be fine Christians. I believe our fine friend here on the board John is into karate. I don't believe he would practice the so called religious side of it and if that is true I believe one could use the work out part of yoga with out all the meditation or the religious side of it. But I've never done it so I don't know.

I'm one hundred per cent against tattoos or body piercing, so I don't do it, I wouldn't be happy if my grown children did it but they are over 21, so it is their choice. As far as anyone else, it like smoking, it might look bad to me but it isn't any of my business. I can use a Scripture or two to say I'm correct, but at heart I don't know if I'm not twisting Scripture to do that.

I'm not legalistic so I'll allow the other person make the call on them self.

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have yet to see a Yogi teacher who preached Hinduism. I suppose there are some, but not at the senior center I used when I am at home. The word Yogi has come to mean a particular set of exercises. In face, many of the exercises are the same as in palates and I've not seen anyone criticize palates.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

What do those who teach Yoga say of themselves?

Sounds like more than exercise to me.

16. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

How many of them would say that they do it for relaxation and meditation as well?

Went to the bookstore. Looked at about a 20 books. Even the books that concentrated almost solely on the poses and stretching still all included concepts of meditation, spiritual well-being and relaxation - clearing the mind. Not one of the books I saw taught yoga as a purely physical exercise (and I was purposefully looking for one that did). As Yoga For Dummies put it - the goal of all forms of yoga is enlightenment, some forms just choose to reach this through physical movement and exercise.

So what do you call exercise that just happens to use some yoga poses? Stretching or exercise. The fact that people like to attack labels to what they do (I don't just exercise, I do yoga, or aerobics, or XYZ) doesn't really change the basic meaning of yoga. It just represents a confusion of labels. Its, at best, the non-standard meaning of yoga. If we stick with the standard meaning, the one the vast majority of yoga teachers seem to recognize, then Mohler's distinction seems sound. Would I quibble with a person who thought the movements themselves were "yoga"? No, let them call it what they want. However, given the context of Mohler's statements, his distinction is quite sound IMO.

#36 dwmoeller1, Oct 13, 2010
  17. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

We have Wii fitness type game that my wife will occasionally do the yoga exercises. It has some yoga poses that you can do on a balancing board. It tells you how balanced you are (gauging muscle coordination) and how many calories you burned.

Sounds like exercise to me.

18. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Sure, very few are going to teach anything one would recognize as Hinduism. But let me ask you, do they teach the movements purely as exercise, or are concepts of relaxation, clearing the mind, visualization or meditation included in the classes?

19. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

You completely missed my point.

I said some people use it exclusively for exercise. You said, well that isn't yoga then. I said what would you call that, or anyone else if asked for that matter.

You still haven't answered my question. If someone does yoga poses for stretching and burning calories only what would you call it?

20. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I did answer it but I guess it got lost in the rest of what I said.

I would call it just stretching and exercise. Would others maybe still call it yoga? Yep. Does the make it yoga? Nope. Or at least, its is a distinctly non-standard application of the word. You point out that some would call the pure exercise yoga. I don't disagree, I merely point out that calling it that doesn't make it yoga.

Not everyone would recognize the distinction Mohler makes, but those who are yoga "experts" certainly would. In short, while some might not recognize the distinction, Mohler's distinction seems to be sound.