1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Monergism and Synergism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jdlongmire, Jun 26, 2008.

?
  1. I am a Monergist

92.0%
  2. I am a Synergist

4.0%
  3. I am not sure...

4.0%
  1. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

These are the 2 classic doctrinal positions that have been acknowledged throughout Christian history. There is no 3rd path for a Christian.

Which are you? Do you know? Why?

Let's discuss! :)

BTW - the poll is public - just to get a feel for the players! :)

#1 jdlongmire, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It is by Christ alone upon the belief of the repentant sinner. :godisgood:

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

All that I am or ever will be comes from God through His Son. My salvation comes totally by the grace of God through faith in the finished work of Jesus the Christ upon the cross. All of my righteousness comes from Christ, for there is none in me. I am wholly and totally dependent on God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and would be totally and forever lost in my sins without this wonderful and awesome Three in One God!

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is basically a "are you a Calvinist or a non-Calvisnist" question.

Here are some helpful definitions:

Monergism: In regeneration, the Holy Spirit unites us to Christ independent of any cooperation from our unregenerated human nature. He quickens us through the outward call cast forth by the preaching of His Word, disarms our innate hostility, removes our blindness, illumines our mind, creates understanding, turns our heart of stone to a heart of flesh -- giving rise to a delight in His Word -- all that we might, with our renewed affections, willingly & gladly embrace Christ.

"In theology, the doctrine that the Holy Spirit is the only efficient agent in regeneration - that the human will possesses no inclination to holiness until regenerated, and therefore cannot cooperate in regeneration."

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/monergism_grid.html

5. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Is whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord, a work of synergism or monergism?

7. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

"This concept of cooperation is at best a half-truth. Yes, the faith we exercise is our faith. God does not do the believing for us. When I respond to Christ, it is my response, my faith, my trust that is being exercised. The issue, however, goes deeper. The question still remains: "Do I cooperate with God's grace before I am born again, or does the cooperation occur after?""
    http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/sproul01.html

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Basically, if we are "united to Christ," we are saved first and we hear and believe later. Surely that is NOT what you believe???

Isn't "outward call" known as "common grace," not "effectual grace?"

Can you please put an order to these terms: regeneration, common grace, effectual grace, "willingly & gladly embrace," salvation?

So far I'm getting the order here as regeneration (salvation) - common grace - effectual grace - "willingly embrace."

skypair

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I don't know about others, but God did not save me the first time I asked. I had to seek Him and reach a point of total surrender before I was saved and the Holy Spirit came into my heart and soul. I believe some have been misled by easy believerism. That is why the power is not present in the church as it once was, because of fleshly Christians. Also I believe that is why it is possible for some to confess to Christ, Have we not done many mighty works in Thy Name, and He will say depart from me I never knew you. Deception within one's heart concerning whether or not they have truly been born again is going to send alot of lukewarm Christians to hell.
    That's why I said in another thread a couple of weeks ago it is possible to know beyond a shadow of a doubt you are saved. If there is any doubt, seek the Lord with all of your heart, soul, mind, and spirit, and receive the blessed assurance of His salvation.
    2 Peter 1: 1-10

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So-called "common-grace" has nothing to do with salvation.It's unfortunate that such a form of words ever was coined -- it leads to a lot of confusion.there is no saving grace in "common-grace".However, this is just a rabbit trail. Let's get back to the OP.

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

First let me state that No Calvinist is Monergist based upon the defintion you give from wiki.

You (as a Calvinst) believes that man does in fact have something to do in order to be saved, and though God did all leading up to it, their "salvation is not complete until the individual performs some action"
    That "action" is to believe. Man can not and is not going to be saved by God until that man believes. Therefore based upon that definition no Calvinist is a True Monergist.

Again please remember that the term synergism was created by those of Calvinism to try to portray anothers view and that it was created in line with that of the Pelagian and semi-Pelagain view points. Not with the view of the Non-Cal. Therefore it does not pertain to us as a whole.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now in relation to Grasshopper's point (whether it is his or not it is the point I am speaking to) that regeneration is when "the Holy Spirit unites us to Christ ". This is some of the worst unbiblical non-sense used to establish a theological view. 'The moment' a person is united with Christ they saved. The moment they are sanctified, made a new creation, justified, and by all of that become His chrildren they are saved. These things are not done before one has faith but scripture bear out consistantly that these are done by faith!

One can not be 'united with Christ' if one is not justified nor sanctified, thus being a new creation for Christ is not one with sin but can only be one with that which is without sin. Therefore if a person is 'unitied with Christ' they are without sin, justified, sanctified, a most specifically - filled with the Holy Spirit for it is He who baptises you into Christ thus uniting you with Christ. We are only made alive 'in Christ' not before we are 'in Christ'.

#11 Allan, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  12. Allan

Allan Active Member

By the way - There is a fouth position that you have not set down.

D. None of the above.

I am that one .. however I come closest to Monergism.
    According to the definition of Monergism only Primitive Baptists are true Monergists.
    They hold that those of Gods elect will be saved whether or not they place faith in Christ. God will save them irregardless of faith.

#12 Allan, Jun 27, 2008
  13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

#13 Jarthur001, Jun 27, 2008
  14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Again...there is none of the above.

This is just black or white

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Only in your limited perception of things.

And yes, there is because the these are defined poorly.

16. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Allan - I understand that you have probably been influenced by post-modern thinking - that is - that truth is what you decide it is - but I want you to understand - in this case there are only 2 possibilities - 1 or 0, black or white.

God alone or God + something.

I am glad to see that you have chosen monergism (even though you haven't on the poll:)). That just goes to show that the Spirit is leading you into all truth, even though you are fighting it... :)

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

That would also appear to be the belief behind "infant baptism."

skypair

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ya know, I can deal with calvinism and respect much of it and it's adherants but it's prideful, arrogance and purposeful slander of some of them that I have a very hard time dealing with in a Christian manner.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on,right on, right on, JD2.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subject matter is indeed a binary deal.