1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Monergists & Synergists: Divide or Unify?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

My answers above......

I am thankful to be in an SBC church where the leadership is calvinistic, preaching is expository, and every ministry of the church is intentional. Its not a family reunion and its not a social club. My wife and I have been in 3 churches over the past 10 years and I have never seen her grow and mature in her understanding of scripture like she has at this one.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I see it, while not a synergist, I view the various actions taken by God at salvation, (in no particular order) redemption, adoption, sanctification, regeneration, propitiation, repentance, ect. as happening so fast from the human POV as to seem instantaneous. IOW, as a human perceives the occasion, there is no time lag between regeneration and repentance. To God, it's a series circuit. To man, it's a parallel circuit.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You keep trying to twist what I asked. As often as you try, I can keep posting the original quote which my question clearly states "perhaps" the Spirit is failing to teach the sheep TULIP. At which you replied No and gave John 10 as support - No TULIP = No sheep.

Keep trying though! Everytime it just exposes your bearing a false witness. You want me to post the original quote again?? I doubt it.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire, you are describing the order of salvation (ordo salutis). I agree, that for all practical purposes, the order of these component parts are nearly instantaneous, except for propitiation. I believe Christ satisfied the requirement of the law (death) at the cross.

5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, amen, and amen!

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    answer the quotes about divine enablement listed for you...quit stalling...

You can post whatever you want...when you twist it I will show it.

#46 Iconoclast, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The person should be able to voice a scriptural point of view, not necessarily to cause division , but sometimes the people have never been allowed to hear other views.
    If opening up certain verses causes new thoughts in that church then that is good growth.

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm not describing the order of salvation. I tried to be clear that I was not putting the list "in any particular order."

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Jn 4:19 We love because He first loved us.

Would it be inaccurate to say that our ability to love was divinely enabled?

#49 Reformed, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected. Many of things you listed are part of the ordo salutis.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You seem to not be comprehending. When you originally made the comment that one can only believe in Calvinism by Divine Enablement, and gave Matt 13 as support, which is a passage distinguishing between the lost and the saved, therefore another declaration that unless one believes in Calvinism they are not saved, I thought you were outside the camp of Calvinist. However, after questioning the board of Calvinist, it became apparent that they all believed just as you declared concerning Calvinism in association with the lost and the saved.

Now, as far as the Holy Spirit illuminating Jesus' sheep to God's Word, absolutely, no non-Cal would disagree. What we disagree with is Calvinist claims to the Holy Spirit teaching TULIP to His sheep. TULIP is nothing more than a manmade composition trying to explain God's Word. The only thing the Holy Spirit illuminates is God's Word, not TULIP commentary.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does enabled equate to caused?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barley and rye I'm thinking!

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

At his age? Alka Seltzer and H2O....

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that. But, I'm not going to try and definitively measure what I don't have the instruments to definitively measure. Others are welcome to try. But, don't be surprised when someone else comes up with a different measurement. We are dealing with the unmeasurable miraculous. We can come close but not much beyond the decimal point.

16. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this instance, yes: Be-cause, or by-cause

The cause of our love is that He first loved us.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Newsflash....ya got that now. Also in the streets, the pubs, the coffee shops etc. They are reconstituting in places you don't ever venture into....bringing the Word out to where the people are and yes going back to the warmth of homes for coffee and theological discussion. So Gods Word is growing, perhaps not the way you'd like it but the spirit cant be contained....it reaches out to the disinfranchised as well as the born agains.:thumbs::jesus:

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Let me explain why.

As you know, Monergists believe in irresistible grace. Forget that it is part of TULIP. Do not let TULIP become a stumbling stone. Monergists believe that irresistible grace is a biblical doctrine. The "I" in TULIP simply describes it. The reason we believe in irresistible grace has to do with the nature of God's calling of His elect. Once the Holy Spirit has illumined the cold, dark heart of a sinner, that heart desires nothing more than God. In fact there is nothing, or nobody, else that can fill the heart's yearning need other than God.

Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me" (John 10:27).

Earlier in that chapter, about the sheep, Jesus said, "A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers" (John 10:5).

If you know anything about sheep, they are followers. They will follow their shepherd's voice each and every time. An individual sheep will not say, "Forget the shepherd. I am doing my own thing." No. All the sheep will follow. Sheep find comfort in the shepherd's voice. The sheep of God's flock find comfort in the Good Shepherd's voice. They will not follow another, only the voice of the Good Shepherd (Christ).

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Steaver

In post 51 progress has taken place. You agree that it is The teaching ministry of the Spirit of God the enables Christians to believe Divine truth. This is an important development.

In awhile I will answer in full and as we now seemingly are in agreement that Divine enablement is essential to come to truth......I will now be able to address your concerns and provide needed clarification.

The nature of our dispute then is not if The Spirit teaches truth......but what is the content of what we call TRUTH.

If you thought you did not agree with me before....stay tuned for my next post......

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no such thing as a monergist, IMO. Just confused synergists :)

Fact: faith is required of man to be saved. Regardless of where he gets this faith, it is till a requirement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.