1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More Inspired?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by menageriekeeper, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

It's usually to scarey in this forum for me, but my dad made a comment the other day that I'd like opinions on.

The comment was: those who translated the KJV were inspired by God and those who have translated later versions were not as inspired or were simply more distracted by worldly ties to pay as close attention to what they were translating.

I have since recovered from my faint and now wonder just how/why someone could get this idea?

My dad did give some justification for his opinion that at the time King James had the Bible translated that the polictical atmosphere was such that the translators were not pressured from any particular side to "translate" the scripture to suit certain ideals(or something to that effect). Not being a Biblical historian, I have no idea if this was the case or not. Of course I do know where to come for help. :D Thanks in advance.

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Glad you're ok! :D

I was doing some reading on this a while ago and I believe some people think the translation may have been influenced in the pro-monarchy direction in some respects. Now that would be a surprise. ;)

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

No, God did NOT inspire the KJV translators because the Bible teaches that God inspired His Words (the autographs), not authors.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Don't feel too bad about it. You have to remember that everybody, including our parents have grown up with certain beliefs.

My mother felt that the KJV just had to be preserved by God because she felt that the politics were such in England that it was a miracle that the King would sanction the publishing of a Bible.

Yes, I think that God possibly had something to do with the printing of the KJV, but I think he has a hand in all legitimate translations.

No, I'm not talking about inspiration, but I am do think God helps men if they wish to spread his Word. Whether through allowing manuscripts to be found or just blessing the translators with the brains to be used for his will.

Don't feel too bad about your dad's beliefs, it doesn't change his salvation in any way.

The sad part is that some people are making King James an idol at the expense of preaching the Word to the people. If you can win a soul using the NIV, by all means, give them an NIV.

Almost all people have what I call "hang-up" beliefs that usually came from someone teaching them the belief when they were young. Or, they may have latched onto it later. It is just like the issues of drinking, dancing, smoking and everything else. Just look at it this way, if you father believes this, I wouldn't make it a hill to die on for either you or your father. Study hard, keep the faith and make your own choice on this issue.

I remember when I was young and it literally scared me to watch The World Tomorrow with Garner Ted Armstrong. He was essentially a cult leader, but he made the teaching so fascinating that you couldn't turn him off--then again, it scared me to death because I felt my faith was being shaken. You have to remember that there are smart people who have wrong concepts. We are human and we make mistakes.

The fact that this thread is scarey to you makes me feel proud that you consider your faith is worth so much that you do not want to see it attacked or you don't want people placing doubts in your head. It is scarey to you, but I see a very mature person in you. Keep your faith and always understand that Satan will try his best to confuse the believers. When you get older, your faith will grow too. As this happens you will not be scared so much by someone who says that your beliefs are wrong.

Try not to let these issues bother you (I know its hard, I used to worry sick about it.) You are headed in the right direction and yes, it is okay to question your parents beliefs, and even ask them about why they believe it; but again, don't let it cause problems with your parents. Being as smart as you are, you will no doubt be right on many issues they may be wrong on. Just continue to study, keep it to yourself and don't worry about asking questions. We like to think that our parents can do no wrong. But, just like us, they can be. This certainly doesn't make them bad people because all of us are simply human.

I hope I helped just a wee bit. By the way, don't be scared, all of us olde folkies are wrong half the time anyway. Just think of it this way. If we were right more than 50% of the time, we would get rich just buying the right stocks. We're just a bunch of olde foggies arguing because its fun, while we should be out witnessing. I wish you well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The translators of the KJV were not inspired. The writers of the original autographs were inspired. King James' goal was to have a universal English Bible version which would be used in all the English-speaking churches, apparently to the exclusion of other versions.

The KJV was originally translated to stand against the very popular Protestant Bible, the Geneva Bible. Many of the notes in the Geneva Bible stood against the church and the monarchy, and the KJV was to have no such notes. The KJV was translated in support of the Church of England and against the Protestant churches.

Apparently the translators of the KJV were more inspired and pressured by the king than by God. Their KJV was mandated for a purpose that was influenced moreso by the political climate of the time than by a need for a new translation.

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

What do you think of the charge sometimes leveled against the KJV that it was slanted to support the theory of the divine right of kings, in which James I so passionately believed?

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL Phillip, I love the computer! This is the only place where I would ever be considered young!

This is not the first of my dad's views I've tossed (I'm quite the liberal according to him), but this was the first time he gave me an opinion without anything possible to substanitiate it.

The reason this forum is scarey is cause ya'll tend to be a bit arguementative. ;)

Good information given. At least I know that dad isn't the only older (almost 70 for him) person to have held such a view.

This was one of those issues I just let go as not worth arguing about. It did nag at the back of my mind though as to just where he got such an idea.

9. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Sounds like King James was the first proponent of KJVO! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.