1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More on hand shaking a/o or hugging during worship service

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by PJ, Aug 26, 2008.

?
  1. Yes, I like the hand shaking/hugging part of the service.

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No, I don't like the hand shaking/hugging part of the service.

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes or no on the hand shaking/hugging portion of the service?

#1 PJ, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't stand it. I'd rather do my fellowship when I can actually talk to someone for more than a few seconds while a song is playing.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is that an official directive that you need to do? In our church, after the pastoral prayer, we have a time to "greet those around you" and sometimes we'll shake hands and sometimes we'll hug (like for those friends who we'd hug normally). But it's not like they say "shake hands and/or hug those around you." I'm always in the sound booth so no one ever comes to hug me or shake my hand while I'm there, although people do peek over the wall and say "hi!"

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in the sound booth also and can barely reach to touch hands. That's fortunate for me, since I'd rather not participate in the hugging. I have to know a person for a while before I'm comfortable hugging them.

Our instructions are to "shake hands or hug those around you." In my observance from the sound booth, there's always some that feel forced to participate.

#4 PJ, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't know why we have to do it during the worship time. Why not before or after the service?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, in our church, I can explain how it works:

We have worship time - 3-4 songs then the pastoral prayer. For the prayer, those who have a need to can come to the front of the sanctuary to kneel (or as some do, stand) for prayer. So now after the prayer, you have a good number of people getting up and going back to their seats. At that time, it's also the time that the children are dismissed for Sunday School. So it's a good time to allow the "disruption" to be productive and let people say "hi" to those around them (no directive to hug or shake hands). Right after that, they all re-assemble and sit down for a couple of announcements then we go into the offering. Before and after the service is another time that people greet each other and in between the two services, we have a "bagel cafe" with bagels and coffee where everyone can visit.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. It should not be during worship. At the beginning of our service we do have a welcome, announcements, and a time of greeting - where you can shake hands, hug, kiss/kiss, whatever. Personally, I like it as it gives you a chance to greet someone you may not know - though I typically don't hug or kiss/kiss people I don't know.

Then, we have a call to worship - usually (but not always) using the Psalms. Here, technically the worship service begins. From that moment on until the the pastoral blessing at the very end, it is a "worship" service. We don't tell jokes, we don't sing happy birthday to Mrs. Jones on her 85th birthday, etc. We sing hymns & songs of praise, we read the Scriptures - sometimes responsively, we pray - sometimes in unison, we give tithes & offerings and we listen to the sermon. In other words, during the worship service, we worship. I know that might sound like splitting hairs, but IMHO it's an important point.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Expressing love for God's children, our family in Christ, is part of worship.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about -1Cr 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.
    -- :laugh:

I agree with PJ
    HTML:
    I have to know a person 
    for a while before I'm comfortable 
    hugging them
    Bottom line is someone shaking hands with me because they were told to, mens absolutely nothing to me. How many Christians run out the door just as the pastor says Amen?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Exactly! I'd rather have someone invite me to lunch, or just go to lunch with some people afterwards (which some of us do).

I don't like shaking hands (some people have terrible habits) that much, but I will look for people who seem new and introduce myself, and ask them their name. Afterward the service, if I can catch them, I try to find out more about them and see if they want info on the church. I also invite them back.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia,
    May I shake your hand:thumbs:

I'll see if I can make to DC some time soon

Salty

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't have to wait until the service and do it with a handshake and a hug. I only do that if I am told to. I express love in so many other ways outside of the service.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Hey, bay--beee.

If this were the case, I would love it and be careful to sit near that good looking guy I was interested in.... talk about sharing love.......:D:tonofbricks:

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Really? When's the last time you kissed another believer who was not related to you, simply because scriptures tells you too? We don't usually go around kissing people do we, but we can at least shake their hands and perhaps hug a few, we aren't better then them, or at least I know I'm not. God commands interaction of a personal nature among believers. Whats wrong with it being a part of worship, isn't worship involve obedience to Gd?

15. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

We kiss others on the check all the time, as it is the custom here to do so. Just like it is the custom in many areas to shake hands.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? Did they give you a big check? :laugh:

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

"at least shake their hands?" "At Least perhaps hug a few?" That is all nice and well and good, but unless I care enough to "wash their feet"--what is a hug or a handshake??

God commanding interaction--if that is the wording you choose--is more than a shallow hug or handshake. It goes beyond to hurt when people hurt. I don't know that the handshake or hug during a worship service completely does that. It is almost like saying "Oh, I have done my interaction for the week because I shook someone's hand."

Is doing that really an act of worship?? You answer that question.

18. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Sorry Donna. Don't agree at all. Greeting each other & saying hello may be a time of fellowship, but it is not worship.

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our 'greeting each other and visitors' time is right before the worship part of church begins and I always enjoy it.

We also have 'greeters' that shake your hand as they hand you the bulletin and give visitors cards to fill out.

I agree with Marcia, I try to welcome all visitors and find out more about them and then try to visit them and invite them back, or witness to them if the Holy Spirit leads.

We are not instructed on what to do, but the men hug the men and the women hug the women (if they want to). No kissing and no male to female hugging. Men and women shake hands though.

20. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hand shaking, hugging, clapping or raising hands on command is not the same as being led by the Holy Spirit. It's less natural, less personal, not necessarily heart felt. This is my take.

#20 PJ, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008