1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mormon President Dead at 90, Church Goes Older for Replacement

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salt Lake Tribune - Russell M. Nelson, 93, Named the Church’s 17th Leader

"The optics of the 90-year-old Thomas S. Monson being replaced by the 93-year-old Nelson are problematic....the next several leaders in the line of succession are nearly as old and just as stodgy — Dallin H. Oaks, who is currently 85, would be next in line followed by M. Russell Ballard, who is 89. It seems odd for a church to be led by such a long succession of geriatrics....in this media age, the church needs an engaging, vibrant spokesman at the top."

Russell M. Nelson, 93, installed as the Church's President and Prophet on Sunday, January 14, 2018 5a5e26a0d46db.image.jpg

#1 Jerome, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What, no beard?

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facial hair is considered to be "vanity" in current Mormon culture. Back when I was studying Mormonism as part of my cult research, I would occasionally attend one of the stake meetings to observe their worship and teaching. I was quite conspicuous in the congregation because most of those times I had a mustache, and once I also had a full beard. The missionaries in attendance would always come talk to me at free moments to introduce themselves afterward.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The culture tends to consider older members as closer to God. Their President is their prophet, so they are not necessarily looking for engaging and vibrant. I'm not sure they have really had that at any time in their history.

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This cult is very old and they have an elaborate governmental structure, as you know. While a man rises through the ranks so much time passes that the entire leadership becomes elderly. In the beginning there were a lot of young men in leadership who were interested in polygamy.

Do you think that Romney is lining himself up for Mormon leadership? Ezra Taft Benson served as Sec. Of Agriculture under Ike and then became Mormon President, for example.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all the new morality in the USA (h0mosexu@lity "marriage", and other such actions - Back in the 1800's President Wilford Woodruff issued a revelation from God called “The Manifesto“ that said that it was time to stop practicing polygamy. Now, I wonder if the mormon church will consider a new revelation from God that multiple wives is acceptable. (serious statement)

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pressure on the last Mormon president was to allow same-sex "marriage" and female preachers--in other words, to become politically correct. It is hard to say what they will do next because of the instability of the cult. I consider Sandra Tanner of Utah Lighthouse Ministry to be the leading living authority on Mormonism. I think that the leading authority on Mormon polygamy in rural areas is Doris Hanson who has a weekly TV show called Polygamy: What Love Is This?--most of her shows are on You Tube

Polygamy is more vile than I ever imagined. In rural areas young men are denied education and kept at physical labor. They have no chance at marriage because the older men with money marry the younger women. If the young men run away, they have a difficult time adjusting to the modern world. As for the young women, people such as Doris Hanson have shelters to help them out of polygamy. Doris Hanson herself was a young woman being forced into a marriage with an older man but she ran away with only the clothes she was wearing and thus escaped. But some many others are trapped.

http://www.utlm.org/

http://www.whatloveisthis.tv/index.htm

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their prophet conveniently had a revelation that complied with U.S. law after losing their Supreme Court challenge, Reynolds v. United States.

If U.S. law were to change and specifically allow polygamy, there could be a new revelation or teaching, but it would also likely divide the Mormon faithful. Something that is often overlooked is that many Mormons are fairly recent converts from Christian denominations -- sometimes personally, or they are first generation -- and they tend to retain some of the Christian teaching and morality that does not normally conflict with the day-to-day views of Mormonism. Polygamy would be a hard pill for many Mormon faithful to swallow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition, Congress would not allow Utah to become a State until they outlawed polygamy.

IMHO - if the President of the Mormons had a "revelation" that pologmany was once again acceptable - I am sure many in the church would accept it.

and with the aforementioned new status of h0mosexu@lty, ect - how could Congress or the SCOTUS deny them their "right". In fact with so many liberals - the congress and SC would probably applaud it.

Remember The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise.

So by prohibiting polygamy - Congress is not allowing the free exercise of the Mormon religion.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a Vimeo documentary about the devastating effects of polygamy on people trapped in it, Lifting the Veil of Polygamy click here:

Polygamy: What Love Is This?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FTR - NOT condoning pologaminy - but with todays society lack of morals..........

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think they will resist that, although they did make the change in the Book of Mormon in the 1970s to change the phrase "white and delightsome" to "pure and delightsome" because - for some reason - Mormons who were "persons of color" did not turn white when they persevered in the faith. The change was also made so that "non-white" persons could enter the Mormon priesthood.

The Tanners have a long history of good work in the field. Until this post, I had somehow missed that Jerald Tanner had passed away. I haven't done much Mormon work in the last 20 years or so, but I know their work up to that time was quite solid and I have no reason to believe that the situation has changed.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out her shows.

I have some close friends who have worked with persons - mostly women and girls - caught up in the Warren Jeffs Mormon cult (different than the Salt Lake City Mormons, for those who are not familiar), and they say similar things.

#12 Baptist Believer, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the position of the Mormons in Reynolds v. United States. Essentially, the Mormons are still able to practice their religion unless they violate U.S. law. For instance, U.S. law does not permit adherents to a religion to commit human sacrifice in the practice of their religion.

You can read the Court's decision here.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On this issue, I agree with you in spite of the abomination and depravity of polygamy as outlined in the documentary Lifting the Veil on Polygamy, Polygamy: What Love Is This?

Of course, I am not a lawyer but my lawyer or advocate has never lost a case (Jesus Christ the Righteous 1 John 2:1-2 (KJV) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.

So when the Supreme Court ruled that two sodomites could marry and that the states could not define marriage, they painted themselves in a corner in my opinion. I think that they opened the door for the legalization of polygamy and of incest. I also think that the federal law outlawing polygamy could be declared unconstitutional by the same logic that no one but the court has a right to define marriage. And I think that the court will be forced to take a case soon because everyone knows that not only to the dozens and dozens of splinter sects of Mormonism have 50,000 to 100,000 people living in polygamy and child marriage, but also there must be an equal number, if not greater, of Muslims with four wives in this country in pits like Dearborn, Michigan and other no-go zones in America. Does the Nation of Islam practice polygamy?

15. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Secular Humanists don't often seem to take issue with child sacrifice...I mean "choice".

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously, you are referring to abortion. The problem with your analogy is that, usually, those who support elective abortion do not realize that an unborn child is a person. And legally, an unborn child is not a person under the law, so the point is moot in terms of the topic of this thread.

Please don't turn this into an abortion thread. I suspect everyone here is at least anti-abortion, if not pro-life.

17. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not trying to make this about something it isn't; I was pointing out that [spiritually] dead people do what [spiritually] dead people do, and their morality is going to be necessarily ephemeral because it is not rooted in the unchanging nature of a Holy God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fjw

Fjw New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The successor to the Presidency is determined by which member of the Quorum of the Twelve has served the longest. Hence the person who is most experienced becomes the next President of the LDS Church.
    President Nelson served in the US Army Medical Corps during the Korean War
    Was a heart surgeon
    Served as an instructor at a prestigious medical school
    Has held a variety of leadership positions in the church.
    If you doubt his vibrancy (or that of others, say Elders Uchtdorf and Holland) feel free to check them out during general conference which is this coming weekend 31 Mar - 1 Apr.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That looks like he just found out that Joseph Smith does NOT hold the key to getting into heaven, but Jesus christ!

20. Fjw

Fjw New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which means what?